• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yes, but I think a film like this can only begin to work when there's nothing to anchor you back in the present. Perlman may look Cro-Magnon, and at the time would have been unfamiliar, but I know he's an actor pretending to be a grunting simpleton, and the whole thing becomes more pantomime than simulacrum.

Yeah, it's a good point. I'd definitely be up for a film that only had unknown actors in make-up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    christopher wrote
    I still don't have anything by this composer. I looked around and found some of his albums for an affordable price. Here's what I found:

Music Box
    Eve of Destruction
    Le Choc/J'ai Epouse Une Ombre
    The Tenant
    The Bear
    Le Train
    The Suitcase
    Cesar Et Rosalie
    Princeses/Un Frere
    Le Parfum de La Dame en Noir
    Sister Mary Explains it All
    Barocco
    Le Choix des Armes/Fort Saganne
    Alice and Martin
    The Manhattan Project
    7 Morts Sur Ordonnance - Le Sucre
    Le Valise
    Les Choses De La Vie - Max Et Les Ferrailleurs

There are also a few compilations out there by director that he's worked with. Any suggestions as to where I should begin? Thanks in advance.

My fave from this list is Fort Saganne. It has a beautiful cello theme that's to die for. The combo cd with Le Choix des Armes is just perfect! It's under $10 at Amazon.
    Aside from the already recommended L'Ours, Tess and The Tenant, I'll also suggest Pour Sacha, Alice et Martin, Sister Mary Explains it All and (if available) Dis-Moi Oui...
    Sarde is awesome! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    I absolutely LOVE this track. To me it's almost unbearably beautiful.

Le Train

Anyone know where I can get this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I absolutely LOVE this track. To me it's almost unbearably beautiful.

Le Train

Anyone know where I can get this?

Nice song indeed. Has some nifty major-minor shifts going on, although it's basically just a run up and down the scale. Simple, but effective.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    Yes, it is simple but incredibly effective.

Maybe I should post this on the NP thread as it's not getting much notice here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited
    I really like this song, it certainly moves forward. The voice is strong and the choir unexpected! shocked smile

I never heard the 12 minute suite you talk about so much though.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    I really like this song, it certainly moves forward. The voice is strong and the choir unexpected! shocked smile

I never heard the 12 minute suite you talk about so much though.

It's 18 minutes Bregt, and as far as I'm aware is actually the complete score, that theme is in the score but not with a vocal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    Philippe Sarde has just been announced as attendee for the Ubeda festival:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_217377
    Kazoo
  1. His score for LA PRINCESSE DE MONTPENSIER is superb:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/02/26/la-pr … ppe-sarde/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    His score for LA PRINCESSE DE MONTPENSIER is superb:

Thanks Jon, great review. I love Sarde's work and this is a score I'll be getting, I think it's only me and Michael ( franz_conrad ) who ever sings his praises on this board ( my apologies if I left anyone out ), a superb and vastly underated/under appreciated composer IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    Can't recommend his new score enough, really. It's one of the best things i've heard last year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    His score for LA PRINCESSE DE MONTPENSIER is superb:

Thanks Jon, great review. I love Sarde's work and this is a score I'll be getting, I think it's only me and Michael ( franz_conrad ) who ever sings his praises on this board ( my apologies if I left anyone out ), a superb and vastly underated/under appreciated composer IMO.

I like him too, though I didn't find this new score anything special (still good, though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can bin my CDR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sold my ol' Varese of PIRATES a year ago (to someone here, I think?). Wasn't THAT good, IMO, except for some brief cameos of something that was CLOSE to my beloved religious sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    I finally saw TESS.

What a wonderful film by Polanski and great score by Sarde! I'm a sucker for Victoria-era historical epics, if done correctly, and this seemed to nail it for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    Do you have the score, Thor? It's superb and one of my favourites. The film is darned good too.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Funnily enough I just pulled the Tess CD out the other day. Had forgotten how wonderful it is - as is the second score on the disc, The Tenant, though very different in tone to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Do you have the score, Thor? It's superb and one of my favourites. The film is darned good too.

I don't, but I'll probably seek it out now.

The film also went straight into the Top 5 list of 1979, of which I will be holding a podcast on later tonight with my montages buddies.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. RunMovies.eu put up an old interview with Sarde yesterday. I thought this was a great reply from him:

Marco Werba: Do you work well with directors?

Philippe Sarde: The truth is that I am a difficult person to work with. I’m difficult, I'm expensive and I hate "fashion!" What I mean is that I really hate commercial tunes. I would prefer to rob a bank to get money instead of writing pop cues! Sometimes, for a scene that needs "source music" I have to write music in fashion, because it comes out of a radio, but that is due to contemporary reality and not used in a descriptive way.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.