• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    I'm sadly too busy to send in any "after the hints" answers. So my 95 point score will have to remain as it is.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    I'll listen to the clips again tonight and send in my answers...if you could send me the hints!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    plindboe wrote
    I'm sadly too busy to send in any "after the hints" answers. So my 95 point score will have to remain as it is.

Peter smile

And not a shabby score it is! Great going.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'll listen to the clips again tonight and send in my answers...if you could send me the hints!

Sent!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    FalkirkBairn sneaks in at the last minute and grabs 2nd place just two little points ahead of Timmer!!!!

1) Ranietz 180 points
    2) FalkirkBairn 130 points
    3) Timmer 128 points
    4) plindboe 95 points
    5) Thomas Glorieux 80 points
    6) Southall 75 points
    7) Zirael 65 points
    8) Christopher 61 points
    9) PawelStroinski 45 points
    10) Keky 30 points
    10) DemonStar 30 points

Guessed the bonus (with hint): DemonStar, Ranietz, FalkirkBairn

I'm gonna leave the rest of today for last guesses. Several people have received the hints but not yet placed any extra guesses, so here's your last chance to sneak something in.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was going to submit a second set of guesses but won't have time. I wouldn't have challenged the top players anyway probably, even with the hints.

I have a good idea for the next game, if it's OK for me to do it? I can't remember if anyone else has already claimed that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Would you like me to delay a bit more? I'd certainly like to see more of your guesses. I'll send you the hints just in case.

And yes, I'd love to see what you have in mind for another game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christopher skips ahead a few more steps to #5!

1) Ranietz 180 points
    2) FalkirkBairn 130 points
    3) Timmer 128 points
    4) plindboe 95 points
    5) Christopher 85 points
    6) Thomas Glorieux 80 points
    7) Southall 75 points
    8) Zirael 65 points
    10) Keky 30 points
    10) DemonStar 30 points

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Two spectacular upsets take place as Timmer reclaims his #2 spot and Thomas Glorieux adds just enough points to stay ahead of the recently-promoted Christopher. Exciting to see so much activity on the last day.

1) Ranietz 180 points
    2) Timmer 136 points tongue
    3) FalkirkBairn 130 points crazy
    4) plindboe 95 points
    5) Thomas Glorieux 88 points tongue
    6) Christopher 85 points crazy
    7) Southall 75 points
    8) Zirael 65 points
    10) Keky 30 points
    10) DemonStar 30 points

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited
    The medieval game hereby closes. Final scores are provided below. Only major new change is Southall's spectacular leap to 2nd place.

1) Ranietz 180 points
    2) Southall 147 points
    3) Timmer 136 points
    4) FalkirkBairn 130 points
    5) plindboe 95 points
    6) Thomas Glorieux 88 points
    7) Christopher 85 points
    8) Zirael 65 points
    10) Keky 30 points
    10) DemonStar 30 points

Congratulations to all and thanks for playing!! I don't know what's the overall consensus, but I thought this new system of scoring was great. It really gave different weights to someone who sent in most of their answers before the hints versus someone who got very few pre-hints at first and then sent in a bunch of others afterwards. Obviously not everyone has to adopt this new scoring system, but I think I'll stick to it in my own games in the future.

And now, the answers. Number in parenthesis is the amount successful title and composer guesses out of a total of 11 players.

1 The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) Erich Wolfgang Korngold (5)
    2 Captain from Castile (1947) Alfred Newman (4)
    3 The Flame and the Arrow (1950) Max Steiner (4)
    4 Ivanhoe (1952) Miklos Rozsa (6)
    5 Prince Valiant (1954) Franz Waxman (5)
    6 Quentin Durward (1955) Bronislau Kaper (4)
    7 Becket (1964) Laurence Rosenthal (2)
    8 The Madwoman of Chaillot (1969) Michael J. Lewis (3)
    9 Robin and Marian (1976) John Barry (6)
    10 Crossed Swords (1977) Maurice Jarre (5)
    11 Excalibur (1981) Trevor Jones (7)
    12 Conan the Destroyer (1984) Basil Poledouris (5)
    13 Ladyhawke (1985) Andrew Powell (8)
    14 The Name of the Rose (1986) James Horner (4)
    15 Willow (1988) James Horner (7)
    16 Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves (1991) Michael Kamen (5)
    17 Kull the Conqueror (1997) Joel Goldsmith (4)
    18 The Musketeer (2001) David Arnold (6)
    19 King Arthur (2004) Hans Zimmer (9)
    20 Eragon (2006) Patrick Doyle (8)
    Bonus Records of Lodoss War (1990) Mitsuo Hagita (3)

Becket and The Madwoman of Chaillot were predictably the least guessed, but hopefully people will be compelled to look up Michael J. Lewis after this. He is truly talented. And that anime title was also something I knew nobody here had heard, but that's why it was a bonus! It's really an epic adventure score it the most traditional vein. I was, however, shocked by how few people were guessing The Musketeer before the hints came out! I thought that'd be one of the easiest ones in the game! Then again, I was humbled by how easily people were guessing King Arthur. *I* probably would've had a bit of a hard time with that one!

And I hope I've made a few people re-visit The Name of the Rose with a renewed interest with the use of that clip.

Thanks for playing!! This was fun. Who's got the next one? James?
  1. what a shock, I knew everything above the '80s shame

I don't think I have the energy to go through the entire golden age period, but it's fun to hear the good ones smile Thanks HeeroJF
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Nah, don't go through the entire Golden Age, just stick to the swashbucklers and the biblical epics! punk punk punk punk

A special note from the heart: Captain from Castile is probably my all-time favourite pre-1960 score. Truly amazing, with every note as exciting as any of Goldsmith or Horner's classic adventure scores. Plus, I adore Spanish-influenced scores.

But also be aware that I didn't include El Cid in this game because it might have been too obvious because of the recent release. But it doesn't change the fact that every one needs to have their copy of this jewel!!!

Another one everyone should have: Max Steiner's Adventures of Don Juan. Again I didn't pick it because it may have been too easy, so I picked The Flame and the Arrow instead, which is nearly as good, but Don Juan is amazing action/adventure stuff.

Also, apologies for excluding Goldsmith... Lionheart, The 13th Warrior or First Knight would've been perfect, but First Knight was in the previous game. I also thought of including either Goldsmith's or Tyler's Timeline, but ran out of space. 20 slots is so few!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I got more points than anyone before the hints came hence I'll take the moral victory thank you very much! crazy

no honestly, i swear, i'm not a sore loser shame wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Indeed, and thanks to this new system of points, your pre-hint answers are what made you finish ahead of FalkirkBairn. He actually had one more correct answer than you, but came in below you because all his answers were 4's, while you had several 5's.

It also means that you had a personal maximum score of 190. If you'd completed the game like Ranietz, you would've been a full 10 points above him because you had so many 5's.

That's why I like this new system, I think it has potential!

(anyone have a lolcat labeled "I has potential?")