• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    I may perhaps probably might do. But I can't stand the style that 300 was filmed in... that's all I'm really trying to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    But I can't stand the style that 300 was filmed in... that's all I'm really trying to say.

That's ALL?!? shocked

Jeez... slant I agree.
    Man, we could have had this sorted in .3 seconds. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I also don't like soft apples. Disgusting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed.

See how fast things are moving along all of a sudden?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Then, and as you're not following this thread, I'm probably just talking to myself again (that's OK, I like hearing myself talk. Apparently I think I'm well-read, intelligent, witty, entertaining and quite educational, and I rather like myself for thinking that about me), if you watched and liked The Dark Knight (and not merely as an action flick), then I have every reason to assume you would enjoy The Watchmen, which touches upon many similar subjects (if...IF it's done well!)

300 as well; on a different level and style, but still similar philosophy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I liked Miller's over-the-top way of "epic-ising" the classic story in his graphic novel.
    I thought the idea of literally translating that to the screen rather unintentionally funny.
    I didn't hate 300 (there's FAR worse skyte out there), but I didn't like it much either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I may perhaps probably might do. But I can't stand the style that 300 was filmed in... that's all I'm really trying to say.

I understand that, I didn't like the look or style and have avoided it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I wasn't really into 300 either. I bought it and watched it once. I do want to see it again though. I think all the hype ruined it for me. I would have preferred a more historic, realistic version of the story. The watchmen trailer looks much more promising thing. Just all the superheroes with psychology makes it seem very interesting. I've read the first few chapters of the comic and have really found my favorite to be Rorschach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    omaha wrote
    I've read the first few chapters of the comic and have really found my favorite to be Rorschach.

I'd be very interested to resume this line of thought exchange when you're finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    omaha wrote
    I've read the first few chapters of the comic and have really found my favorite to be Rorschach.

I'd be very interested to resume this line of thought exchange when you're finished.

Indeed
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    What is skyte again?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Inpernep pelethony.
  1. biggrin

Skyte was supposed to mean shit biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    omaha wrote
    I wasn't really into 300 either. I bought it and watched it once. I do want to see it again though. I think all the hype ruined it for me. I would have preferred a more historic, realistic version of the story. The watchmen trailer looks much more promising thing. Just all the superheroes with psychology makes it seem very interesting. I've read the first few chapters of the comic and have really found my favorite to be Rorschach.

It is Historic; it is NOT realistically depicted. But still historic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Inpernep pelethony.

lol
  2. Well I've finished reading WATCHMEN.
    Overall - pretty impressed. I can see why it was such a landmark comic book at the time. The way he keeps incorporating the 'Black Freighter' story to counterpoint the main narrative is thinking outside the box. It's a self-contained tale and a relevant digression.
    The storytelling in those sections told from Dr Manhattan's perspective are particularly effective - both the issue devoted to his history, and his issue-long dialogue with Laurie.

Does the book live up to the hype? Technique-wise, theme-wise, visually - yes yes yes. I'm not quite sure the story quite carried me all the way. I felt like I was being set up for something bigger than what ultimately ensued. And to me, the identity of the 'villain' was all too clear from early on - as he was only one whose perspective we never stayed in long enough to find out what he thought about the developments that triggered the plot.

But overall I've got to say - I'm impressed. Ironically the things I like most about it are the things that are least likely to carry over to the film version. (E.g. the nonlinear editing of Jon reflecting on his history, the Black Freighter material won't be integrated into the narrative in the same parallel editing fashion.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    Finished the comic today
    The ending disappointed me, until that very last bit. wink

Rorschach is by far my favorite character. He is the most fascinating, and his uniform his pretty sweet. Dr. Manhattan was an interesting character yet one I cannot identify with him, probably because he isn't really all that human and feels so detached.

I can't wait until this movie comes out. Any parent that takes their parent to see it though should be kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ironically the things I like most about it are the things that are least likely to carry over to the film version. (E.g. the nonlinear editing of Jon reflecting on his history, the Black Freighter material won't be integrated into the narrative in the same parallel editing fashion.)

HERE at least we see completely eye to eye! biggrin
    beer (it's ginger beer!)

omaha wrote
    Rorschach is by far my favorite character.

Almost everybody has that, and that's mainly because he has no moral ambivalence: he only thinks in absolutes. And, his being a complete and utter psychopath doesn't make him any less WRONG in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Who is your favorite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The same, because at the end he's the only one who makes the right call.

That's how Moore plays us...because Rohrschach still is a deeply disturbed individual, and someone we're not supposed to be sympathising with.
  3. Is that character in any way connected to the famous psychological test? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Yes.
  4. Then interestign that he's a psychopath, I'll have a look into the comic book, if it's available in Poland.