• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008 edited
    What film score scares the crap out of you. I love horror scores so I need to think about this one.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    BT, Tyler Bates, .....I've probably mised a few? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE RZA!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE RZA!

Yeah, that one! cheesy vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Psycho/Herrmann
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Omen (Jerry Goldsmith)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Had this discussion over Halloween a few weeks back. My scariest score remains Joe LoDuca's The Evil Dead.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    DemonStar wrote
    The Omen (Jerry Goldsmith)

Yes The Omen came to mind for me too.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Heero wrote
    Had this discussion over Halloween a few weeks back. My scariest score remains Joe Lo Duca's The Evil Dead.

one of the scariest parts of Evil Dead to me was when his girl friend was sitting on the floor possessed by a demon smiling and laughing at him.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not a scary score, but it has one of the scariest cues I know; 'The Shooting Of Wilson' from Born On The Fourth Of July.

It's effect in the movie is not necessarily scary per se, but it can definitely be listened to as a scary track.
  1. Goldsmith's horror scores are perfect. Aliens can scare the crap out of you if you aren't prepared for the hits, though it has some preparations to it.

James Newton Howard's scoers are very effective, though on album I think it's Signs that works the best as a thriller/horror scores, the rest work better (and really amazing, to add!) as dramatic scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Not a scary score, but it has one of the scariest cues I know; 'The Shooting Of Wilson' from Born On The Fourth Of July.

It's effect in the movie is not necessarily scary per se, but it can definitely be listened to as a scary track.

Agreed. Chilling cue.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Alien, The Omen to name a few
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    POLTERGEIST!!! punk punk punk
  3. Steven wrote

oh, forgot that one, indeed excellent choice wink

+ The Abduction music of Close Encouters, probably the scariest music ever written
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

oh, forgot that one, indeed excellent choice wink

+ The Abduction music of Close Encouters, probably the scariest music ever written

EXCELLENT choice, Sir.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

I like how you're coming left of field Steven, there are so many scary cues from films that aren't horror.

The CE3K track was a brilliant choice by Thomas.

I'm going to come back to this thead with more 'left of field' ideas tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    Timmer wrote

I like how you're coming left of field Steven, there are so many scary cues from films that aren't horror.

In that respect, another prime example came to mind: many parts of Cobb by Elliot Goldenthal. There are very disturbing bitonal moments in there. I love that score. And that Reno 'Ho? One of the most epic action themes ever!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    Trauma by Pino Donaggio really freaks me out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Asode frm a few excellent ones already mentioned here, I'd like to add Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness and Fiedel's Terminator scores as being pretty darn scary. I don't know why, but I generally tend to find synthetic scores more creepy than orchestral ones.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    End title to Barry Gray's UFO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Asode frm a few excellent ones already mentioned here, I'd like to add Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness

It's scary that I ordered that piece of crap, I tell you what. I was a fool to expect an operatic opus from these clowns. I'm sure the movie's nice and creepy and that the "music" adds to it great, but on CD, ugh. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Operatic????

Man, did you get a hold of the wrong end of the stick... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Well....? I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Okay, so I didn't expect anything majestic out of the previous release, They, but something called Prince of Darkness...? Can you really blame me for expecting a modicum of gothic melody?

...well okay, I guess you can blame me, on the fact that there were the words "Music by John Carpenter" on the cover. Eh, at least I got one of the autographed copies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote
    ...well okay, I guess you can blame me, on the fact that there were the words "Music by John Carpenter" on the cover.

biggrin
    Yup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    What was AHI-01? The first release under Alan Howarth's limited label?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    I don't generally like horror scores on CD (although it's interesting to analyze them in the film!) unless it's in a particular mode I call "delicious darkness", i.e. a more romantic approach to the subject matter - such as Chris Young's HELLRAISER or much of Marco Beltrami's stuff.

THAT SAID....the scariest soundtrack CD and probably also horror score that I know of is:

PET SEMETARY!

I'm a Goldenthal completist, but I don't think I've been able to play through that more than 2-3 times. It just freaks me out!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. How about Goldenthal's In Dreams, seriously wicked at times. So is his Alien 3. And some parts of Sphere...

My all time favorite is, and I don't need to repeat this, POLTERGEIST. The music isn't scary per se, but it's bone chilling stuff, stuff that makes your neck hairs stand on end, like only Goldsmith could write. Carol Anne's Abduction for instance shocked

I knew you were gonna say CE3K - Abduction scene as a terrific scary cue, Thomas. It's one of my faves as well.

Alien by Goldsmith, Hellraiser by Young, The Fly by Shore, those can seriously get under your skin.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008

My all time favorite is, and I don't need to repeat this, POLTERGEIST. The music isn't scary per se, but it's bone chilling stuff, stuff that makes your neck hairs stand on end, like only Goldsmith could write. Carol Anne's Abduction for instance shocked

I agree saying that Poltergeist isn't scary. You can tell that it's written for a "ghost adventure", not a "ghost story", persay, if I'm making the distinction clear. It's amazing rollicking good fun with the veneer of a spooky setting, but isn't spooky in itself.

But I think I also mentioned this before, what I believe is the actual scariest music Goldsmith has written is for The Reincarnation of Peter Proud. I'm hoping for an official score release in 2009.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote

I agree saying that Poltergeist isn't scary. You can tell that it's written for a "ghost adventure", not a "ghost story", persay, if I'm making the distinction clear. It's amazing rollicking good fun with the veneer of a spooky setting, but isn't spooky in itself.

But I think I also mentioned this before, what I believe is the actual scariest music Goldsmith has written is for The Reincarnation of Peter Proud. I'm hoping for an official score release in 2009.

The scariest music Goldsmith ever composed was Mr. Baseball! tongue