• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Time for a new thread on one of my all time favourite composers cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk

I'm in the mood for some Delerue, but can't rightly decide what score.
    Hmmmm...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dien Bien Phu!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, let's do that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008 edited
    Have got A Little Romance on order thru Amazon.

I've got the Main Titles on a compilation, and have listened to the rest of the score using the Windows Media Player option on Amazon.com.

It's lovely, lovely stuff.

He also wrote the score for one of my favorite films, Fred Zimmerman's A Man For All Seasons although I don't think it's available commercially.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    djdave wrote
    Have got A Little Romance on order thru Amazon.

I've got the Main Titles on a compilation, and have listened to the rest of the score using the Windows Media Player option on Amazon.com.

It's lovely, lovely stuff.

He also wrote the score for one of my favorite films, Fred Zimmerman's A Man For All Seasons although I don't think it's available commercially.

It was available as an LP, Not having heard it I don't know how much score, if any, is on the LP as it's mostly dialogue slant , there wasn't that much music in the film but what was there was very good.

Isn't most of A Little Romance mostly adapted Vivaldi? Delerue always deserved an Oscar but just NOT for this score! 79 should have been Goldsmith's year for Star Trek The Motion Picture.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Isn't most of A Little Romance mostly adapted Vivaldi? Delerue always deserved an Oscar but just NOT for this score! 79 should have been Goldsmith's year for Star Trek The Motion Picture.

I also seem to recall that it was mostly adapted from Vivaldi's music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I also seem to recall that it was mostly adapted from Vivaldi's music.

Yep, it always seemed to me that the Academy voted Vivaldi as the best original score of 1979!? rolleyes
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    Tim and Alan, when you say adapted, do you mean "influenced by" or adapted as in he just changed the notes around a bit? I think it's beautiful music, but part of the reason I've bought it is to play it on my film music show. I'm a bit pedantic about these things and I'd be wary of playing it if it's just a straight rip off.

Also, he did the music to The Day of The Dolphin, which I remember enjoying (and shedding a tear over) many years ago. Is it one of his good ones?
  2. djdave wrote
    Tim and Alan, when you say adapted, do you mean "influenced by" or adapted as in he just changed the notes around a bit? I think it's beautiful music, but part of the reason I've bought it is to play it on my film music show. I'm a bit pedantic about these things and I'd be wary of playing it if it's just a straight rip off.

I don't know the score at all, so I can't really comment on the extent to which Delerue pilfered Vivaldi. The Varese CD release does suggest that Delerue did compose some original music for the film. But whether there's Vivaldi incorporated into these tracks? Someone more knowledgeable could maybe comment.

The entry in this informative site may help: http://www.settling-the-score.com/little-romance.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    djdave wrote

I don't know the score at all, so I can't really comment on the extent to which Delerue pilfered Vivaldi. The Varese CD release does suggest that Delerue did compose some original music for the film. But whether there's Vivaldi incorporated into these tracks? Someone more knowledgeable could maybe comment.

The entry in this informative site may help: http://www.settling-the-score.com/little-romance.html

Thanks for that, Alan. I've been on the site, and then copied and pasted the particular Vivaldi piece into Amazon.com and then played it on Windows Media Player.

Sadly, it looks as if he lifted it pretty much note for note (at least the cue I was going to play on the show). Don't get me wrong: it's still beautiful music. It's just that I can't play it if it 'aint original. By that I mean original to the composer, not necessarily the film itself. I have played stuff from The Godfather, even though Rota used music he'd composed for a different film. But at least that was written by Rota, and I explained it in the link i.e. how his Oscar nomination was withdrawn.

Damn!! I'm so disappointed by this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wouldn't be too disappointed Dave, you've still discovered some lovely music.

I'm not sure if Vivaldi actually wrote the piece for guitar and there is debate over it, but all the versions I've heard are played on guitar, John Williams version is great. ( the guitarist not the....oh, you know...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It was just a popular classical evergreen used several times in the movie, it doesn't sound to me like he tried to conceal it and pass it off as his own. It's of course sad if the academy members thought the Vivaldi piece was Delerue, but that said, there's plenty of catchy and gorgeous original Delerue music on the album too, the main theme is one of my alltime favorites, so it's not a sure thing that he won the oscar simply because of the Vivaldi piece.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I'm not sure if Vivaldi actually wrote the piece for guitar and there is debate over it, but all the versions I've heard are played on guitar, John Williams version is great. ( the guitarist not the....oh, you know...)

I've always assumed it was composed for lute. That's often how it appears on classical compilations. I do prefer it on guitar though, my favorite version performed by Kaare Norge.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I've always assumed it was composed for lute. That's often how it appears on classical compilations. I do prefer it on guitar though, my favorite version performed by Kaare Norge.

Peter smile

There's actually an artist named Kaare Norge?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, ja. Jeg ved dog ikke om han er fra Norge.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A Google search reveals that he's a dane. *beaming of national pride*

Peter tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Peter smile

There's actually an artist named Kaare Norge?

He's a Danish classical guitarist.

Edited to add : Peter got here first smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You know of him, Timmer? Or is it just your Google Fu speaking?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    You know of him, Timmer? Or is it just your Google Fu speaking?

Peter smile

No I had to google it, I'd never heard of him before so I thought I'd look it up. I'll look out for his name on classical releases in future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    A Google search reveals that he's a dane. *beaming of national pride*

Peter tongue

A Dane named Norge?!?! I'd say he's living in the past, eh? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I do not own a single Georges Delerue score. Any recommendations to start me off?
  3. Get out of town before Demetris gets here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    David wrote
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I do not own a single Georges Delerue score. Any recommendations to start me off?

Wow! You're surely in for a great treat then! There's a nice 2cd Delerue compilation in Varese's Great Composers series. You could dig deeper from there once you find yourself liking a particular kind of Delerue. I prefer his scores featuring the sweeping love themes plus religious themed movies.
    Some of my favorites: Black Robe, Agnes of God, Black Stallion Returns...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote

shocked Woah mate, you've got a lot of listening to do! Delerue had an admittedly unique gift for melodic development and gorgeous writing for the string orchestra. The majority of his work is lushing, unstoppable romantic and irresistibly beautiful.

I'd deeply recommend these for starters

Diên Biên Phu
    Black Robe
    Joe Versus the Volcano
    Steel Magnolias
    Révolution française, La
    Chouans!
    Platoon
    Salvador
    Agnes of God

But if i were you, i'd get the GREATEST COMPOSERS: GEORGES DELERUE (3CD) compilation first which contains really the best of his music and will give you great guidance where to go next from there; there's a similar (or is it the same exactly?) version flowing around that goes by the name GEORGES DELERUE - THE LONDON SESSIONS (3CD). Let me know if you can't find anything.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Thanks -- looks like I've got some catching up to do!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    David wrote

shocked Woah mate, you've got a lot of listening to do! Delerue had an admittedly unique gift for melodic development and gorgeous writing for the string orchestra. The majority of his work is lushing, unstoppable romantic and irresistibly beautiful.

I'd deeply recommend these for starters

Diên Biên Phu
    Black Robe
    Joe Versus the Volcano
    Steel Magnolias
    Révolution française, La
    Chouans!
    Platoon
    Salvador
    Agnes of God

But if i were you, i'd get the GREATEST COMPOSERS: GEORGES DELERUE (3CD) compilation first which contains really the best of his music and will give you great guidance where to go next from there; there's a similar (or is it the same exactly?) version flowing around that goes by the name GEORGES DELERUE - THE LONDON SESSIONS (3CD). Let me know if you can't find anything.

I have the 3 CD 'London Sessions' and I believe it's exactly the same content. Some ttracks like the suites from Agnes Of God and True Confessions are from the original scores, the majority are re-recorded suites and themes conducted by the composer at Abbey Road studios in London.

Whatever you get, Happy listening David, Delerue is one of the greatest film composers ever IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I have the 3 CD 'London Sessions' and I believe it's exactly the same content. Some ttracks like the suites from Agnes Of God and True Confessions are from the original scores, the majority are re-recorded suites and themes conducted by the composer at Abbey Road studios in London.

How can it be the same if one set has 2 CD's and the other has 3 CD's? Is the 2CD set more crammed than the 3CD set?
    I am extremely serious.