• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    This EXCELLENT news from MusicBox..... cool punk

Coming soon!

THE FRENCH REVOLUTION (The Light Years / The Terrible Years) (1989)
    Music Composed and Conducted by Georges Delerue.

In collaboration with TF1 Droits Audiovisuels and Colette Delerue, Music Box Records presents the epic Georges Delerue score LA RÉVOLUTION FRANÇAISE (THE FRENCH REVOLUTION), including the full remastered program of the original Polydor soundtracks (two albums for the two episodes), followed by 35 minutes of previously unreleased material.
    This deluxe limited 25th anniversary collector's edition (2-CD set) with slipcase includes a 16-page full-color booklet with liner notes by Gergely Hubai.

Due to be released in September 2014. Pre-orders will begin at the end of August.

LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE

----------
    Until then, in order to complete your collection, we are offering a 30% discount on most of our Music Box Records catalog. Sale starts right now at www.musicbox-records.com and runs through August 4, 2014.

Direct link for discount sales: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/118- … derway=asc

Have a great summer!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
    Ah, this will drop the estimated value of -by far!- the most expensive CD in my collection by a couple of hundred quid. sad
    Oh well.
    It was never about the money in the first place.

I *am* very curious to learn if the remastering adds any depth to the album.
    The version I have is technically fine, but -to my ears- a little flat.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Annnnnd here it is (for pre-order), and even if I have purchased -at considerable expense (in fact so much that I am embarassed to mention it here)- the original Polydor release many years ago, I will in fact double-dip for this release:

The score is given a new, expanded release, including the full program of the original Polydor soundtracks with several bonuses. The new 2-CD not only improves the sound and contains over 35 minutes of previously unreleased music from the composer's archives, but also corrects the incorrectly reversed stereo channels of the original Polydor release. Even if you own the original LPs or the now out-of-print CD re-issue, the new release brings something new in all departments.

Go on, go on over and listen to the clips.
    It's a stunner!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015 edited
    Did anyone ever watch that "In The Tracks of Georges Delerue" DVD that came out a few years ago?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015 edited
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

A glut of great releases right now. dizzy

And more, check here

I'm particularly interested in the FILM NOIR AT PARAMOUNT ( it includes DOUBLE INDEMNITY fer cripes sake! ) but I'm never confident when it comes to archival releases.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

A glut of great releases right now. dizzy

And more, check here

I'm particularly interested in the FILM NOIR AT PARAMOUNT ( it includes DOUBLE INDEMNITY fer cripes sake! ) but I'm never confident when it comes to archival releases.

Ordered and really looking forward to seeing it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
  1. Thomas Glorieux has a review of La Révolution Française by George Delerue online on the main page. I prefer tracks 1 through 22 of CD 1, as he does. It's the content of the original album btw. Beyond the fabulous main theme my favourite cue is Déclaration des Droits de l'Homme.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Thomas Glorieux has a review of La Révolution Française by George Delerue online on the main page. I prefer tracks 1 through 22 of CD 1, as he does. It's the content of the original album btw. Beyond the fabulous main theme my favourite cue is Déclaration des Droits de l'Homme.

Volker

indeed, the original album was more than enough for me. However a much better sound quality lead me to this double disc smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. As promised the selection I kept of the Delerue scores I've heard so far. Cailin, I'm sure you'll find lots to like here. Of course for everyone who likes to hear a masterful composer at work

Top 5 moment for me

1) Something Wicked This Way Comes "Rejected"
    That glorious romantic moment (3.54 - 4.34) gets me every single time

2) La Revolution Francaise
    That hymn

3) Rich and Famous
    Capturing the same style as in Something Wicked This Way Comes

4) 100.000 Dollars au Soleil
    Something he did do well too, these brassy marches

5) Joe vs the Volcano
    Lots of lovely themes and of course his usual romantic self in the end credits

Delerue (60 to 70)
    Delerue (70 to 80)
    Delerue (80 to 85)
    Delerue (86 to 91)
  4. Some recommended Georges Delerue scores that I particularly like:

Agnes of God
    Black Robe
    Chouans!
    Diên Biên Phú
    Platoon
    Thibaud the Crusader
    True Confessions
    Un Homme Amoureux/A Man in Love

I think that YouTube has examples from each score - if not the entire scores themselves
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2021
  5. This is great, friends! Thank you! I'll definitely have fun exploring these!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some recommended Georges Delerue scores that I particularly like:

Agnes of God
    Black Robe

I definitely second these; they are among my absolute favourites of Delerue. He often nailed that religoso bittersweet melancholy.

Other favs include JULES ET JIM, LES DEUX ANGLAISES, L'AFRICAIN, A SUMMER STORY, OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE.

But when you're new to a composer, I always recommend starting with compilations, and then exploring full soundtracks from there (from the themes you like). There's that massive 6CD set I showed you guys in the chat (and that was sadly falling apart at the seams), which is the ultimate gateway into Delerue, IMO. But there are easier compilations to start with -- for example the wonderful 2CD Varese "Great Composers" set from 2001-ish. It's on Spotify, but it's missing a couple of tracks:

https://open.spotify.com/album/78floZiV … l_branch=1
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes, compilations have their place too, and would be the first place to go. But I think that, to immerse yourself in individual scores, I would recommend the list I gave.

(And, as I said the other day, if we wait long enough EVERY Delerue score will be recommended. wink )
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (And, as I said the other day, if we wait long enough EVERY Delerue score will be recommended. wink )

He, he....true. Which is why I made sure to a) echo previous (i.e. your) recommendations and b) leave out a lot of other Delerues I own that are also great. I agree that listening to a full score (well, a nice and lean OST, at least) is the best way to investigate all the nooks and crannies of a composer's style and work, but to even get there, one needs an overview. And that's where the compilations come into play.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some recommended Georges Delerue scores that I particularly like:

Agnes of God
    Black Robe

I definitely second these; they are among my absolute favourites of Delerue. He often nailed that religoso bittersweet melancholy.

Other favs include JULES ET JIM, LES DEUX ANGLAISES, L'AFRICAIN, A SUMMER STORY, OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE.

But when you're new to a composer, I always recommend starting with compilations

That's why my links are interesting smile . they are NOT the full scores, just moments I kept from those scores. So usually it's 1 to 3 tracks per score, getting you the best (in my opinion) of that score
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    How's the Delerue exploration coming along, Cailin?
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sorry, I haven't been around here much, but I have still been listening to music! I really enjoyed Black Robe, "The Escape" track was my favorite. Still a lot to hear. I promise to try and come around more often!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2022