• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have the 3 CD 'London Sessions' and I believe it's exactly the same content. Some ttracks like the suites from Agnes Of God and True Confessions are from the original scores, the majority are re-recorded suites and themes conducted by the composer at Abbey Road studios in London.

How can it be the same if one set has 2 CD's and the other has 3 CD's? Is the 2CD set more crammed than the 3CD set?

I had to look the 2 CD set track list at SAE, it's mostly the same tracks with a few ommisions, most importantly for anyone who has neither of these sets or the now hard to get Varese club release is the fact it doesn't contain the 9+minute suite of True Confessions, a Delerue work that is only equalled by his Agnes Of God ( which IS on both releases ). On the plus side the 2 CD release does contain a suite from Black Robe which is a lovely score.

The 3 separate CD's are better IMO but money wise I suspect the 2 CD set is a more viable option?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Great Composers: Georges Delerue has also 2CD's (Varèse release)
    I think Demetris just did a typo that caused the confusion. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    Oh sorry, that's my mistake and it is indeed a typo shame I apologize for the confusion. However, whichever of the two compilations you get, both of them contain the majority of Delerue's best material ever and are excellent releases.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Great Composers: Georges Delerue has also 2CD's (Varèse release)
    I think Demetris just did a typo that caused the confusion. smile

Yes, but the comparison was the London Sessions discs (3 CD's) compared to the new Delerue 2CD set. It was Timmer who said these had the same material, not Demetris. Thanks for clearing it up, though, Tim.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dien Bien Phu!

Hmmm... I was listening to this score earlier today. One of my favorite of Georges.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My favorite is probably "Crimes of the heart"..... no, I mean "Promise at dawn".... no, wait...... "Man, woman and child"......

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dien Bien Phu!

This is a gem but very exhausting on one's emotions. Can't listen to it more than once at a time.

My fave Delerue is in the current GTS game. Incredibly charming score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Just ordered the 2CD Varese Sarabande set, should be here sometime next week! I listened to some of the samples on iTunes and it sounds fantastic. I love that rich lush sound.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    b
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Timmer wrote
    I wouldn't be too disappointed Dave, you've still discovered some lovely music.

plindboe wrote
    ... it doesn't sound to me like he tried to conceal it and pass it off as his own.

Peter smile

You are so right, Tim. The CD arrived yesterday. Not only do the liner notes acknowledge the cues which where Delerue used Vivaldi (which means he didn't try to hoide it, Peter), but there's two cracking good cues: Off to Italy and Birthday Party. The former is a Renaissance-style classicalesque piece, the latter is a paino solo. And, of course, there's the Main Titles, which is fantastic.
    The Vivaldi pieces are still beautiful, although I can't use them on my film music show, but, as you point out, Tim, there's lots of other good stuff in there.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    Has anybody heard Day Of The Dolphin? I loved the film, even though it made me cry a bit at the end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    djdave wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I wouldn't be too disappointed Dave, you've still discovered some lovely music.

plindboe wrote
    ... it doesn't sound to me like he tried to conceal it and pass it off as his own.

Peter smile

You are so right, Tim. The CD arrived yesterday. Not only do the liner notes acknowledge the cues which where Delerue used Vivaldi (which means he didn't try to hoide it, Peter), but there's two cracking good cues: Off to Italy and Birthday Party. The former is a Renaissance-style classicalesque piece, the latter is a paino solo. And, of course, there's the Main Titles, which is fantastic.
    The Vivaldi pieces are still beautiful, although I can't use them on my film music show, but, as you point out, Tim, there's lots of other good stuff in there.

You being happy makes me happy too! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. David wrote
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I do not own a single Georges Delerue score. Any recommendations to start me off?

Start off with Chouans! Unfortunately, it's out-of-print. But if you can get a hold of a copy it's well worth starting here.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    djdave wrote
    Has anybody heard Day Of The Dolphin? I loved the film, even though it made me cry a bit at the end.

yes, it's very good but I only have it on LP.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    Thanks, Tim. wave It's available on Amazon: I get paid on Tuesday, so guess what I'll be doing?
  2. It's not exactly the same. Arguably the best suites from the 3 CDs were distilled onto a 2CD album by Varese. I'm not sure what the reasoning was - whether it was financial or aesthetic (I remember hearing a couple of the London Session performances were a bit subpar) - but I have the three London Session CDs and enjoy listening to each of them in isolation.

Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have the 3 CD 'London Sessions' and I believe it's exactly the same content. Some ttracks like the suites from Agnes Of God and True Confessions are from the original scores, the majority are re-recorded suites and themes conducted by the composer at Abbey Road studios in London.

How can it be the same if one set has 2 CD's and the other has 3 CD's? Is the 2CD set more crammed than the 3CD set?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Anyone looking for Delerue's La Revolution Francaise?

SAE has a "mint, sealed" copy going for $500!! shocked
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I was just listening to the magnificent end credits of a CDr copy of this score this morning, and thought - 'I wish I'd gotten it when I had the chance.'

Seeing how prices are, I still think that! (Add to this: THE ROBE, BANDOLERO, OMEGA MAN and others.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008
    I wish I'd bought that too - but I didn't. Silly me. I never quite got into Chouans so much though - and assume it's pretty similar?
  5. Quite different actually. I prefer CHOUANS, as REVOLUTION puts more emphasis on form-driven cues that could pass as court source music - grand waltzes, etc. CHOUANS has a bit of that too, but you notice it more here over two discs of fairly grim material. (Heads roll in every second track title.) But the 'Hymn of Liberty' is truly something in all its incarnations, particularly the end title music. It's partly because I know what this one's like that I'd never pay even $100 for it. $40 US (w/o shipping) would be about my limit. (Mind you, that's still willingness to pay more than the release price.)
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I could be mistaken, but hasn't anyone mentioned his scores for Truffaut flicks? Those are my favorite Delerue scores I guess. Nothing beats works such as La Peau Douce!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone looking for Delerue's La Revolution Francaise?

SAE has a "mint, sealed" copy going for $500!! shocked

Thanks for the tip, I can feel a building society robbery coming on already! wink
  6. LOL. I always hear people talking about bank robberies. It would be funny if a character in a film in all seriousness declared his intent to rob a building society instead!

Joep wrote
    I could be mistaken, but hasn't anyone mentioned his scores for Truffaut flicks? Those are my favorite Delerue scores I guess. Nothing beats works such as La Peau Douce!

These scores are probably not nearly as well known because: (i) Varese released mostly his 80s scores in their regular catalogue over the years; (ii) most of the re-releases from other labels (including the Delerue-focused Cinemusique) have steered clear of the Truffaut films for some reason.

My favourite Delerue theme of all is actually LA DERNIER METRO, for Truffaut's film. LA VIVEMENT DIMANCHE and JULES ET JIM are also great. I would like to actually see some of the films. Ironically the only Truffaut film I've seen was one of the few not scored by Delerue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Dernier Metro is also my favourite.

It is a little ironic that because of the way his scores were released, it's those for the relatively obscure American films that get talked about so much and not those for the classic Truffaut films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    Joep's review of La Peau Douce:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/la-peau-douce/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorshureman
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    Has no one mentioned OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE? This is the one I've listened to the most over the past 30 years or so. Others that don't get mentioned so much are TOURS DU MONDE, TOURS DU CIEL, a score he wrote for a documentary on an observatory; LA REINE BLANCHE (which contains more achingly beautiful tracks, along with just so-so ones); JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO; A SUMMER STORY; LE COMPLOT; STEEL MAGNOLIAS; THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR; THE ESCAPE ARTIST and the much underrated score for CURLY SUE !

A friend in Australia sent me cassettes of numerous obscure scores by Delerue -- mostly recorded from telecasts -- thus I discovered a treasure-trove of unreleased gems: PARIS BY NIGHT; STONE PILLOW; ANGELA LOVE COMES QUIETLY; SWORD OF GIDEON; MIRA; AURORA; AMERICAN FRIENDS; THE JAMES BRADY STORY; CADENCE; ESCAPE FROM SOBIBOR; RAPTURE; CODE NAME DANCER; and others. Then there's the sound-and-light scores he wrote such as CINESCENIE DU PUY DU FOU (on CD) and about 19 others. Overall Georges Delerue remains my favorite film composer.
  7. The Black Stallio Returns is art of work compared to the terpid original score by Coppola & Co.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    Very good recommendations you got there shureman, i know most of them but i'll make sure i'll check out the rest as well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Oh sweet mamma of mercy shocked shocked shocked

http://www.georges-delerue.com/fr/news/ … es-delerue

This MUST and WILL BE MINE!!!!
  8. Damn... too many good things around. Now I'm wishing I hadn't bought the MGM box! dizzy