• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Honestly? Not for a compilation set, I won't.

I think.

biggrin wink

I have a few compilations too but this set has got works that I just must have.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    Compilations are great!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008 edited
    http://www.amazon.fr/Guerre-Du-Feu-Bof/ … amp;sr=1-1

Euros 59.43 for the Delerue box AND Sarde's Quest For Fire!!!! biggrin cool

Or 10 euros less without the Sarde.

Me ordered cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Delerue box set surfaced for pre-order at Screen Archives:

here.

$89.95
  2. C'mon Christmas! cheesy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    C'mon Christmas! cheesy

When my order arrives I "might" even save it for Christmas day!? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I am abiding in most expectant hesitancy, awaiting the first thoughts and reviews from the most esteemed members on the board, before deciding on a purchase.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    Ugh, I hate compilations. They're such teases. What I really want is a full set of all these individual scores, in as complete a form as possible! smile
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. This is definitely a case where a compilation doesn't seem like a bad thing for me. More breadth is possible as a result for the same amount of listening time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Isn't that true of any compilation? confused

The thing is that Delerue is already enormously well represented (OVER represented maybe even) on compilations, where -in wry contrast to many of his contemporary colleagues- many, indeed most, of his scores are marvellous works to listen to as full-length items.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    And even when they're not, I still don't like the concept of compilations. In fact, in those cases, they give an unfairly positive representation of the composer. I don't think it's fair to worship a composer just because you've heard a tremendous compilation of his, while it may be that he's actually not that good at good at maintaining interest through all the suspense and non-thematic parts of a score.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    I've already started to save up pennies for the Delerue box, something I haven't done in YEARS!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I think Delerue works well in compilations. Moreso than complete scores. This is just my feeling. None are required to share it, or take it as an affront to their worldview or anything.

It just so happens that many of his most famous early scores have to be compilations anyway, since the scores were often based on the repetition of a few cues (e.g. Contempt, Hiroshima mon Amour) in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorshureman
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008 edited
    Well, I received this set Friday and have worked my way through the first 3 CDs. Many of the titles have been arranged in suites. For some, (RICH AND FAMOUS; RAPTURE; SOMETHING WICKED; NOBODY RUNS FOREVER) it works well in spite of the fact I would STILL like more from these films and LEAVE OFF main titles for films which we already have complete scores (OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE; THE 25TH HOUR; THE ESCAPE ARTIST; THE DAY OF THE DOLPHIN, etc.)

The producers have done their best to extract the best sound possible for all material. Sadly some original tracks for INTERLUDE have not aged well, whilst the title track for LE COMPLOT blows the 20-year old Virgin CD off the planet !! Similar stellar sound is heard for BEACHES, MEMORIES OF ME, THE BLACK STALLION RETURNS and others. Wonderfully obscure material such as LE POINT DE MIRE, RICHARD'S THINGS and PREMIER VOYAGE are staggering revelations....so many gems !

...my observations thus far.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008
    This set isn't in any danger of selling out, is it?

I really, really want it but I don't have the money.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Scribe wrote
    This set isn't in any danger of selling out, is it?

I really, really want it but I don't have the money.

It's not limited.

The Legrand box set is selling for $20 now so it might be best to wait for a while and see how the prices are.
    • CommentAuthorshureman
    Dustygroove have it for $52.99 but it sells out almost as soon as it comes in......
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    New release from Kritzerland: THAT MAN FROM RIO

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD – the original motion picture soundtrack to Philippe de Broca’s classic That Man From Rio, with music by Georges Delerue.

That Man From Rio hit movie screens in 1964 and was an instant sensation. A brilliant adventure comedy thriller, the film had it all – adventure, comedy, and thrills and plenty of them, plus the star power of Jean-Paul Belmondo in the lead, along with the stunningly beautiful Francoise Dorleac as his fiancé. Also on hand were Jean Servais and Adolfo Celi, both terrific in supporting roles. The film was shot on location in France, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia (the city of the future, just then being built). The film was a huge success, especially in the United States, so much so that its screenplay was nominated for an Academy Award.

The score was by de Broca’s frequent collaborator, the great Georges Delerue. For That Man From Rio Delerue created one of his most delightful scores, one that perfectly accompanied the outrageous action on the screen. The score has so much variety and humor and melody and beauty, and in so many different styles – from pure adventure scoring to Brazilian rhythms (and some great songs), along with some hauntingly beautiful passages, and all in the classic Delerue style. The duo of de Broca and Delerue is a triumph of music and image working hand in hand.

At the time of the film’s release, two 45rpm EPs were released, one in France and one in the UK, both comprised of different material and amounting to approximately twenty minutes of music. Both were very hard to find and became very sought after collector’s items. Universal France issued what they called a “soundtrack” CD – that had only six cues, three of which weren’t from the soundtrack at all, but were re-recordings conducted by Alexandre Desplat. The reasons for this, as stated in their booklet, was that the cupboard was bare for Rio tapes in Delerue’s personal archive.

Happily, the cupboard wasn’t bare for Kritzerland and we are thrilled to present every note of Georges Delerue’s marvelous score, all taken from the original tapes. In addition to the complete score, we’ve included a few things that didn’t make the film, as well as some alternate versions of cues, where tempos were different. The CD runs over seventy minutes.

Some of the cues are mono, some stereo and are presented here exactly as they were recorded.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only. The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CDs will ship the second week of April – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to three weeks earlier. To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Noooooo! I'm totally broke this month. I don't want to spend money on cds. But 1000 copies sad crazy
    Why are they forcing us to buy now?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    slant
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    Less than 200 at Kritzerland, less than 300 at SAE ('limit 1 per customer' there).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    INTRADA Announces:

MEMORIES OF ME
    Music Composed and Conducted by GEORGES DELERUE
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 98

The 1988 MGM film Memories of Me is a simple story of a complicated relationship, chronicling the reunion and reconciliation of a father and son. Dr. Abbie Polin (Billy Crystal) is a successful New York heart surgeon estranged from his dad Abe (Alan King), who ekes out a living as a bit player and extra in Hollywood. Abbie jokes his way through his practice, and through his relationship with his girlfriend Lisa (JoBeth Williams) but the laughs are clearly covering up his unhappiness. And when the doctor suffers a mild heart attack, he realizes that it’s time to make his peace with his father. However, the self-proclaimed “King of the Hollywood Extras” is even more of a performer offstage than on, making Abbie’s hoped-for reconciliation tougher than he anticipated...

No composer working at the time was better suited to capture the melancholy, yet hopeful yearing of the film's characters. That composer is none other than Georges Delerue, and his score for Memories of Me is as charming, spirited and subtly complex as the composer himself. A score that is part orchestral, part jazz, this little gem from Delerue's gorgeous body of '80s work is brief, yet potent. Remixed and mastered from the original multi track units at MGM, this release is limited to 1000 copies and features liner notes by Richard Kraft, reflecting on his own experiences as fan, agent, and friend of Delerue.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 98
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6147/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    1000 copies? slant

The suite on The London Sessions is sublime. An instant purchase for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    slant

I just don't have much choice but to miss this one.
  5. I'm on the edge with this one. I've been putting so many limited edition cds in boxes lately - things I've never listened to. While I'm sure I'd listen to a Delerue, it gives me pause. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009 edited
    Ordered it. Ever since hearing the sublime (edit: dang, Southall used the same adjective...how about celestial?) suite on the Great Composers compilation I told myself I would order this the moment it was ever released. Thanks for making me aware, Erik. For me, this one is a no-brainer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Is there anyone who does not go into meltissimo upon hearing the Memories of Me suite in the Varese compilation? No! Instant buy!
  6. The question is, is 27 and a half minutes of Delerue worth it? (Take away the Beethoven track, which feels inserted to get the album over 30 minutes in length.) Owners of the London Sessions already have what are probably the best 6 minutes on the compilation. Given I know that the remaining original music is partly jazz (not Delerue's strong point), and some of the cues are very short, it's just not a very compelling proposition. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    franz_conrad wrote
    The question is, is 27 and a half minutes of Delerue worth it? (Take away the Beethoven track, which feels inserted to get the album over 30 minutes in length.) Owners of the London Sessions already have what are probably the best 6 minutes on the compilation. Given I know that the remaining original music is partly jazz (not Delerue's strong point), and some of the cues are very short, it's just not a very compelling proposition. wink

Yes, I had the same thoughts. So I guess I will skip this one. (Far too many CDs are waiting to be ordered, anyway...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    The question is, is 27 and a half minutes of Delerue worth it? (Take away the Beethoven track, which feels inserted to get the album over 30 minutes in length.) Owners of the London Sessions already have what are probably the best 6 minutes on the compilation. Given I know that the remaining original music is partly jazz (not Delerue's strong point), and some of the cues are very short, it's just not a very compelling proposition. wink

You old grouch! I simply applied Southall's Fifth Rule:

27 and a half minutes of listening to Delerue > 27 and a half minutes of not listening to Delerue