• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Why should I hear it, and how does it sound like?

This will answer both your questions.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You can never have enough sweeping Delerue. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

Oh, it sweeps and swoons as only Delerue could, ravishing and rhapsodic. (Though I won't order it. I'll wait to see what people say about this album compared with the earlier one - but by then it will have sold out. Such is life.)

Does Delerue carry over any of the themes from The Black Stallion.

I think I have enough sweeping Delerue music to last me a while.

He doesn't carry any of them over. I'd put this score on a great many levels higher than the first one. Well worth it if you like Delerue at all and don't have the earlier album, I'd think - the lengthy finale cue is worth the price by itself, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    This is great, of course, but the frustrating thing for me with any new limited edition Delerue is that I cannot afford it at the present time, yet I KNOW I will have to get back to it later, when I'll pick up soundtrack purchasing again (esp. in relation to Delerue and Zimmer), but when all these things have long since sold out and demand steep prices at ebay and elsewhere. It was the same with that Delerue box thingie, which I had to postpone indefinitely. Is that even still available?

This seems to have an unusually high amount of action music and less of the bittersweet stuff he does so well?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd say "adventure" more than "action". I guess there are some similarities in style to Joe vs the Volcano.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Wow, Joe versus the Volcano is an amazing score! punk Alas, I have no money now for The Black Stallion Returns... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    This is great, of course, but the frustrating thing for me with any new limited edition Delerue is that I cannot afford it at the present time, yet I KNOW I will have to get back to it later
    It was the same with that Delerue box thingie, which I had to postpone indefinitely. Is that even still available?

This seems to have an unusually high amount of action music and less of the bittersweet stuff he does so well?

Thordude!
    The Delerue box set is not limited. I haven't got my copy yet as I'm waiting to see if the price will drop a bit.

Bregt wrote

Yo Bregty,
    Any Delerue that's so gorgeous and :bpmelt: such as this should be a blind buy. I have the Prometheus cd but I'll get this. It's Delerue on melodic mode. How can anyone pass on this? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Y'know. This really bugs me.
    I was 100% sure I had that one...yet it's not on my shelf, nor in my database. slant

Don't forget it was coupled with the first Black Stallion score.

That's the one I have.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

Oh, it sweeps and swoons as only Delerue could, ravishing and rhapsodic. (Though I won't order it. I'll wait to see what people say about this album compared with the earlier one - but by then it will have sold out. Such is life.)

Does Delerue carry over any of the themes from The Black Stallion.

I think I have enough sweeping Delerue music to last me a while.

Alan, don't miss this one. It is a must. It isn't only sweeping. It has amazing flute soli and then the desert theme that really makes this score unique in his discography.
  1. Doug is reporting it is sold out. And about 250 left of the Band title.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. man, there have been some soundtracks purchased these past few months smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Tintin wrote
    Alan, don't miss this one. It is a must. It isn't only sweeping. It has amazing flute soli and then the desert theme that really makes this score unique in his discography.

Okay then!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    and this is why Alan it is a must:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NnOAP5PwOc

and Intrada, FSM, anyone else please release this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCSU6Kqt7E
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    There is a 4 DVD set with 10 remastered episodes of the documentary series on astronomy Tours du Monde Tours du Ciel. I'm not sure if it is only in french or if it has subtitles in different languages but it is quite interesting and some great music to boot!

Watch an full episode here with the mesmerizing music by Delerue:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x79tcy … rs-du_tech

Great music and images starting at 6 minutes

http://www.georges-delerue.com/fr/news/index.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Tintin wrote
    There is a 4 DVD set with 10 remastered episodes of the documentary series on astronomy Tours du Monde Tours du Ciel.
    http://www.georges-delerue.com/fr/news/index.php

I saw this mentioned in the Delerue site a while back and I've been hoping that a new release of the score might be in the works. I missed getting the score when it showed on ebay for $80 and now it's much more pricey. This is one of my last few holy grails remaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Any thoughts on "La revolution francaise"? I must admit I find it disappointing. The theme is nice, but other than that, the score is too somber for me. Delerue has done many scores to historical/period movies and he excels nearly every time. But this is a first that I find rather dull, which is weird considering the many times I've heard it exclaimed as a masterpiece.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    I love it, that and Chouans!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have the 2CD and love it! The only downside is that it can be a bit repetitive at times. I would have been content with a single-CD version.

I don't consider it lowkey, though. In fact, it may be one of the most upbeat, "action"-style Delerue I've heard. At least in many of the tracks.

A masterpiece it ain't (and I have no idea how it works in context with the film), but definitely good stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Holy crap! 13 seconds after I posted you commented on it!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What do you love about it, Demetris?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I have the 2CD and love it! The only downside is that it can be a bit repetitive at times. I would have been content with a single-CD version.

You don't say! Well I am shocked. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like Chouans! better as a dramatic narrative, but La Révolution Française feautures such a highlight in scoring that it's in my Delerue top 5 without effort! Yes, it's dark, but then, so is the subject matter (even Les Années Lumières), so that fits magnificently.

And its theme Hymne A La Liberté, even though sung by a Canadian with an odd accent (slant) has my undying and immediate vote for European (or in a pinch French) anthem. It's THE most stirring, powerful, emotionally moving theme in that particular segment I have EVER heard (even the text is a masterpiece of evocation of hope).

The score might have benefitted from a briefer presentation (I'm not sure it really warrants a DOUBLE CD issue), but at the end of the day I don't regret one cent I spent on it (and it was ridiculously expensive. My most expensive CD purchase ever).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree, Thor, I think it could have benefitted from a shorter release. Perhaps that's what turns me off, the many unnecessary tracks. The first CD has some good entries, but it also has several uninteresting source music/period pieces. The second CD consists mostly of low-key and depressing tracks, while melodic, they are not in any way catchy, which is normally one of Delerue's trademarks. I'm sure it works wonders in the movie, but on CD I don't find that much of interest.

But I'm sure this is the kind of album that can really grow on one. Perhaps after more listens I'll facepalm over these posts, and will consider it a masterpiece.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cool, didn't know it was such a favourite of yours, Martijn. I've seen you rant about "Chouans" on several occasions, but never seen you mention this one before.

I've been unable to enjoy the sung versions of the "Hymne A La Liberté" so far. I do adore the instrumental tracks, so full of energy, catchiness and bona-fide Delerue magic. I shall give the sung versions some more chances.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just forget that weird accent (why couldn't they get a proper FRENCH singer to do this? GAWD! angry ) and listen to the lyrics. The LYRICS, man. It really is, quite literally, to DIE for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote

I have the perfect solution for you Thor. I have only the 1st cd of the Polydor release (Les Annees Lumiere). I'd love to get the 2nd disc (Les Annees Terribles). How about sending me the 2nd disc and I'll give you something in return. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    Thor wrote

I have the perfect solution for you Thor. I have only the 1st cd of the Polydor release (Les Annees Lumiere). I'd love to get the 2nd disc (Les Annees Terribles). How about sending me the 2nd disc and I'll give you something in return. biggrin

tongue wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    There's an FSM member (Maloficio) who has been posting Delerue rarities on Youtube. They're a delight to listen to. Here's the link for those who haven't already listened to some of them-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Maloficio

Such a gift for melody that Georges had!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    Indeed, BP. I've been watching his videos when he's posted them at FSM. Especially note his latest video from "Sword of Gideon". The theme music plays from 3:00-3:52 and 4:31-5:27, the latter rendition of the theme made even grander with that trumpet, a trick so typical of Delerue. This theme is one of my alltime favourite Delerue themes. (I have an mp3 of this unreleased theme music. If anyone's interested, send me a PM.)

Peter punk