• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    Does anyone have the chronological order for the 310 to Yuma soundtrack?

Ask Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Looks like Beltrami has replaced Powell on Jonah Hex:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … jonah-hex/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    Damn, I was looking forward to that. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010
    Anthony wrote

Replaced.....by POWELL!? Disappointed? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Disappointed, I was really looking forward to what Powell would deliver here. Not that Beltrami is incapable of delivering a good Western-style score, but still...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Replaced.....by POWELL!?

No, Powell was replaced.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Replaced.....by POWELL!?

No, Powell was replaced.

Damn! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah... slant I would have liked to hear a Powell western sound.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Beltrami's very good at that sound. I doubt Powell would have surpassed that; still it'd have been interesting, indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Beltrami's very good at that sound. I doubt Powell would have surpassed that; still it'd have been interesting, indeed.

Powell would have done a bang up job!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I just wish we had some more Powell that wasn't animation. I'm getting a little tired of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Beltrami's western sound is incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think anyone's disputing that, it just would have been nice to have heard the first Powell western score rather than another Beltrami western score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I just wish we had some more Powell that wasn't animation. I'm getting a little tired of it.

Animation isn't a genre!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Beltrami's western sound is incredible.

What's so incredible about it?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very original for a change, inventive and melodic. Powell on the other hand, gives me the impression lately that he might be slightly overrated? I don't know yet though, time will tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why do you think he's overrated?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i said i am not sure. Time will tell. But i feel that after the initial outburst, his creativity during the last couple of years or so isn't exactly at that levels of paycheck, the bourne scores, etc, more like in a pause mode. But it's too soon to tell, time will show.

It would be perhaps wiser to say that reactions towards his name are a bit overrated, when people go bananas about each and every new assignment he scores, or would have scored; like in this case where his name gets replaced with an equally talented - imo, composer like Beltrami who has proven he can write excellently for this sub-genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're right, it is too soon to tell. As far as Beltrami goes, I think you might have missed the point: it's not because people necessary believe Powell to be the "better" composer, it's just that we've already heard Beltrami's western sound, and we haven't heard Powell's. That's why, for me at least, I'd be more interested in a Powell score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, but would it be as interesting? I am not too sure. Anyway, quite a pointless discussion i think smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :Ford mode on:

Powell's out, Beltrami's in. Get over it.

NEXT.

:Ford mode off:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm sure I'll live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's very original for a change, inventive and melodic. Powell on the other hand, gives me the impression lately that he might be slightly overrated? I don't know yet though, time will tell.

What EXACTLY has he done differently to change the sound or breath new life into the western?

John Powell overrated? That's sounds so silly. Powell is one of the rare composers working today who is writing consistently good or great music. He is almost always dead on in his approach to every film that he scores. He is not in "pause mode" or lacking any creativity. IMHO, he getting better and better with each score he writes and it is too bad that he won't be able to add western to his impressive resume... at least not yet.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ See? What i meant wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think Powell's glory days were '03-'04. I mean The Italian Job, Agent Cody Banks, Paycheck, The Bourne Supremacy...fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ See? What i meant wink

See what? I was stating the facts! Powell is NOT overrated!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited
    And this if a fact 'cause.........? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    And this if a fact 'cause.........? wink

Because Powell is awesome and has been awesome since he first set foot in the film music world. The guys work HASN'T diminished and I don't know how any sane film music fan can say so. Sure, there have been a few turkeys here and there (all composers do it) but on a score to score basis Powell has been consistent in the quality of his writing and his creativity. I'm looking through his body of work since Face-Off and I see maybe 3-4 average or below average scores. As for his recent output the only one that jumps out as being below standard is Jumper. You might add Horton to the list but I still rank that as one of his finest efforts! And I'm sure How To Train Your Dragon is going to continue Powell's incredible streak of excellent, entertaining, fresh and imaginative scores. He is easily one of the best working in Hollywood today!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Getting back on topic, I actually think Beltrami's western scores are overrated.

shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Getting back on topic, I actually think Beltrami's western scores are overrated.

shame

lol

-Erik-