• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. dgoldwas wrote
    AIRPLANE! is now available for order!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Airplane.html

hmn, many short tracks. I'm hesistant (but I'll be getting a copy anyway biggrin )

Say Dan, you wouldn't happen to know what special 100th release is coming to La La Land would ya? shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009
    There are a lot of short tracks, but I made sure we put a lot of cues together to make longer tracks that provide an optimal listening experience smile

As for the 100th Release, as has been posted on FSM and elsewhere, it will be the 2-disc BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Season 4 soundtrack.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  2. dgoldwas wrote
    There are a lot of short tracks, but I made sure we put a lot of cues together to make longer tracks that provide an optimal listening experience smile

As for the 100th Release, as has been posted on FSM and elsewhere, it will be the 2-disc BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Season 4 soundtrack.

ow wow shocked
    Now that's really good news

As for Airplane, love the movie, hoping the music is as well arranged as you make it sound here smile
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    AIRPLANE has sold out at La-La Land Records!! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    dgoldwas wrote

Surprise surprise slant
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Marselus wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

Surprise surprise slant

But it's a nice surprise! - mostly because I ordered mine in time...
  3. dgoldwas wrote

wow, very nice
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

wow, very nice

Still available at SAE...and the other usual outlets.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote

....for now! wink
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

wow, very nice

still a mighty performance for such an old score
    it shows there's no age issues concerning classic stuff smile
  6. Update of a couple of Bernstein classics

- Airplane
    - Ghostbusters
    - Saturn 3
    - Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

and with tracktitles shocked

Enjoy
  7. I'm listening to some of Bernstein's score for The Journey of Natty Gann and there's the use of the ondes martenot - and it seems so out of place for the subject matter of the movie (from what I know of it anyway).

Too "otherworldly" - a feeling that is as a result of the use of this instrument and the similar-sounding theremin in movies.

I don't have the booklet to hand for this score...does anyone remember if it talks about Bernstein's use of this instrument in this score? (Or was he just going through his ondes martenot period?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm listening to some of Bernstein's score for The Journey of Natty Gann and there's the use of the ondes martenot - and it seems so out of place for the subject matter of the movie (from what I know of it anyway).

Too "otherworldly" - a feeling that is as a result of the use of this instrument and the similar-sounding theremin in movies.

I don't have the booklet to hand for this score...does anyone remember if it talks about Bernstein's use of this instrument in this score? (Or was he just going through his ondes martenot period?)

I'm not sure it's mentioned, to be honest. I think he used it beautifully in some scores - but seemed to use it arbitrarily in others. Like this one. Some people have made "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" comments about his reasons for using it so often (specifically, the person who played it). No idea if there's anything in that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009
    Would certainly make sense James.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    WHY WHY WHY?

WHY?

How can it possibly be the case that I can go online, press a few buttons and get myself a copy of Terry Plumeri's music for Scarecrows and yet I can't do the same for Elmer Bernstein's music for The Shootist?

Is there NOTHING just in this world?

:elmer:
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    yes. he who has the most money wins
  8. Two more scores released by Kritzerland:

http://www.kritzerland.com/stranger.htm
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    My! The clips are gorgeous! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Think I'll get these. Clips do indeed sound excellent. The most recent Bernstein score released in the Varese CD Club (can't even remember its name!) was also absolutely gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    That four-CD "replaced scores" haul?
    Hmmmm. Wasn't mad about that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    That four-CD "replaced scores" haul?
    Hmmmm. Wasn't mad about that.

No, no. A more recent one than that.

Hang on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh! Completely missed it! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm thinking really hard about it but I've already committed to the Rozsa box. My budget will only stretch so far. But I like the clips. He's guessing a little too because he's up to 1500 count
  9. I listened to the clips and loved them - ordered (though Ernest Gold's Pressure Point had to come of my want list in order to accommodate this Bernstein double-header). Kritzerland are releasing some interesting titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Still thinking
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    And I bit the bullet and ordered it because I want to do a review of it. Somehow I think it is one in that nameless category of don't have but should.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011
    INTRADA presents:

THE GREAT ESCAPE
    Composed and Conducted by ELMER BERNSTEIN
    INTRADA MAF 7112

Intrada presents a 3-CD set featuring the music of Elmer Bernstein's The Great Escape in a definite presentation of the classic score. At the time of the film's release, Bernstein re-recorded selections with a reduced orchestra that was released on the United Artists label. The popular LP was in print for decades, and the program made its CD debut on Intrada back in 1992, followed by a couple of reissues. In 2004, the long-lost original film tracks were released on a limited edition 2-CD set which quickly went out-of-print. Now Intrada combines both the United Artists LP program and the original film tracks into a single album, providing a one stop for both albums. Featuring the original key art and cleaning up some anomalies from the film tracks, in addition to assembling the tracks as they were intended by the composer, this is the last word on and the definitive presentation of the music to The Great Escape.

Bernstein wrote 90 minutes of score and recorded it with 62 players. It featured a theme that has become one of the most famous of film themes. As Nick Redman mentions in his detailed and authoritative notes, it's "a theme that could blow the roof off a cinema. A theme that could make an audience wild. A theme that delineated all there was to know about war, captivity, freedom and escape. A theme to thrill, a theme to engage, a theme to just plain love. A theme that, like the spirit of man itself, might just not ever die."

All this on this specially priced, unlimited release.

INTRADA MAF 7112
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6866/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Having missed the 2CD set I'll take it! biggrin punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a good price, for anyone who did miss the Varese edition.