• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Interesting read Tom. Unfortunately it doesn't sway me to purchase on this occasion but I enjoyed reading your review.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I've just listened to the clips from Slipstream and it sounds very interesting.

Though I've never heard of Slipstream before its announcement, I've ordered it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I'd never heard of it before either. But the clips, as well as a 5+ minute sequence at the beginning of the film I saw on YouTube convinced me to get it. I got my shipping notice the other day and am expecting it to arrive any day now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    I ordered it based on the hoopla and mine shipped recently too. Looking forward to it, though my favourite Bernstein scores are generally the smaller-scale ones.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    I've just listened to the clips from Slipstream and it sounds very interesting.

Though I've never heard of Slipstream before its announcement, I've ordered it.

Just watch (or listen rather) to the first 4-5 minutes to get a sense of Bernstein's music. The only thing that concerns me about this though is the extent to which Bernstein uses the ondes martenot and whether it is too obstrusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztz78vSh-wU
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    The Slipstream release is a bootleg
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. What are you talking about, Smith?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin - Come on... for Christ sakes. You just can't blurt stuff out like that and not link to the discussion on FSM concerning this.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Go to Lukas' post on April 27th where he declared the following.

"Collectors: This product is illegal, as I suspected from day one but just confirmed:
    Robin Esterhammer licensed the publishing from the Bernstein estate but never
    licensed the master or soundtrack rights from the film company.

A cease and desist is going out now."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  6. Guess we'd better buy it up quick, then!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. SAE doesn't have for it sale anymore.

So Slipstream's a real collector's item now?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does that mean that the RED SONJA release was a boot too? After reading Gilles post above I had a quick check at SAE and see that that Morricone score is nowhere to be found.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. On page 13 of this FSM topic they mention Red Sonja.

Overall it's enjoyable reading right now with Robin Esterhammer joining the discussion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good old heated debate.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My favourite line in that thread is this: "I was openly accused by many people, including Roger Feigelson of Intrada (who nevertheless saw nothing wrong with buying 140 copies of the alleged bootleg) and others, that they were "suspicious" about the legitimacy of the release."

We abhor your bootlegs! Your practice is illegitimate! You must be hunted down! Hmm, but maybe we can make some money off it in the mean time.
  9. Whatever the case is, it's a damn fine score and who knows when it would've seen the light of day. I never heard of it and am glad that it got released. I just hope the whole thing will get settled between various parties and that it'll be sold again as a legitimate release. But in the meantime I don't care one bit about the legality of the release. I paid what I would normally pay for any another release.

The downside of the whole situation is: trying to get a copy now it's unavailable will get all manner of people putting them up on ebay for pretty steep prices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited
    Must admit that I don't worship copyrights. As a film music fan, the music and the quality of the music is of prime importance, everything else is secondary. It seems perculiar to see all these film score fans react ala "Oh, nos! The product I bought is worth nothing now and I've wasted my money!". Let the producers and lawyers sort out the legal issues and just enjoy the music, that's my advice.

Peter smile
  10. Isn't that, like, Rule #1 when you're a CD label?: License the rights

So does this mean that in fact, the truth still is that that nasty little studio which is supposed to own it, and has basically told us to screw off, does in fact still remain the owners?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That seems to be what Lukas is saying, yes.

I do have some sympathy with Peter's point above, but I guess the law's the law.

What I cannot understand is those people who have decided to destroy their CD! They bought it, they love it... but now they know it may not have been properly licenced, they hate it so much that they must destroy it. As Jimmy Greaves so wisely said, it's a funny old game.
  11. The interesting bit for me with this is, even though there was the belief by some (closely linked with stores) that the CD was not a legitimate release, it was stocked by the online store and sold...
  12. Surely you can return the CD back to the store from which you bought it from and get a refund?
  13. The lawyers and that studio may not want to hear it, but I hope for all good, that nobody, SAE, whomever had copies, actually destroys/trashes them. I hope their kept in secret and distributed appropriately. I know I would personally not diapprove.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  14. Seems to me that if you bought from an outlet whose owner stocked the CD despite having reservations about it, you could have some legal grounds for having them refund it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I do have some sympathy with Peter's point above, but I guess the law's the law.

Thanks. I care more about what's right than what's law though. If I've bought a CD not knowing that my money went to people who didn't actually have the copyrights, what's done is done and I might as well enjoy the music. It's not my fault there's a legal mess and the album producers screwed up.

Southall wrote
    What I cannot understand is those people who have decided to destroy their CD! They bought it, they love it... but now they know it may not have been properly licenced, they hate it so much that they must destroy it.

Wow! Who are these people? I want to point my finger at them at laugh at their sheer stupidity. I think I'll read the FSM thread more carefully now so I can get a good laugh. Some people just get so hung up on copyright issues that it seems like they consider copyright violations a worse crime than murder.

Peter smile
  15. All respect to our stateside members, but FSM does have a larger USA contingent, and they are a people who are a bit more inclined to make a stand on principle in the smaller things of life. It's earnest, but it's sincere. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    Southall wrote
    That seems to be what Lukas is saying, yes.

What I cannot understand is those people who have decided to destroy their CD! They bought it, they love it... but now they know it may not have been properly licenced, they hate it so much that they must destroy it. As Jimmy Greaves so wisely said, it's a funny old game.

I haven't read the entire thread but I think there's some point scoring going on, destroy their CD's? Fuck are they!
  16. I'd be insane if I'd destroy my copy. I still want to listen to it at least 40 times before I even think of doing that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011
    Kings Go Forth a new release from Kritzerland.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    sdtom wrote
    Kings Go Forth a new release from Kritzerland.

Have pretty much settled into this one and feel somewhat motivated to write the review.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!