• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    How about this?
    http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/bfb6e7bf/

-Erik-

Ah yes, I can see that. A bit typical for my tastes and I'll take Intrada's over that.

But I still far prefer the version on my Varese LP.

http://www.filmmuziek.be/images/covers/large/4662.jpg
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    How about this?
    http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/bfb6e7bf/

-Erik-

Ah yes, I can see that. A bit typical for my tastes and I'll take Intrada's over that.

But I still far prefer the version on my Varese LP.

http://www.filmmuziek.be/images/covers/large/4662.jpg

By far the best of those three I've seen here!

I listened to the clips, and they didn't do anything for me. Bernstein is very on/off to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    I bought the Varese LP which I transferred to CD.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012
    I talk about Frankie Starlight quite often in the Now Playing thread, but few seem to know of it. I just wrote a review of it, to mark Elmer's 90th:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2358
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012 edited
    I posted my comment on your site so that it feels loved, lol.

I don’t have a lot of Bernstein in my collection yet, but I have this one presumably because of your past mentions of it, and I absolutely love it. It has a personality all its own. Very dreamy. It’s beauty is somewhat restrained and yet all the more intense for that very reason.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Nice review.
  1. I see iTunes has released a 41-track version (original?) of The Ten Commandments.

http://itunes.apple.com/album/ten-comma … mpt=uo%3D1

It's said to be "digitally remastered" but it doesn't sound that great from listening to the clips. I have noticed another release from Bacci Bros Records where they have put out a score that has also recently been done by a label such as FSM or Intrada, etc.

And comparing the clips between this previous title the Bacci Bros Records release sounded very much inferior to the better-known label. So, I am hoping that someone has given Bernstein's score a better remastering that this label here. (Isn't someone releasing this one soon?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. One of FSM's last is supposedly to be a mega deal on this score, like "Ben Hur", but may also contain some other recordings of it from previous CD/LP's.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    One of FSM's last is supposedly to be a mega deal on this score, like "Ben Hur", but may also contain some other recordings of it from previous CD/LP's.

Cheers, Justin.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    Never really liked that score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    I wasn't all that keen on Cauldron either
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    Got the new Varese release of Amazing Grace and Chuck. If you like the Ondes Martenot this is one that is right up your alley.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Never really liked that score.

Really? Really???? shocked

sdtom wrote
    Got the new Varese release of Amazing Grace and Chuck. If you like the Ondes Martenot this is one that is right up your alley.

I got it as well -as so often happens I was seduced by some of the clips- , but after a thorough listen, I could have easily left it. Nothing new here. It's good, proper craftsmanship, but nothing that really moves or even touches me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Ten Commandments? Yeah! Just never really emotionally resonated with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is certainly not in the category of a Marie Ward but few are.
    Tom
  4. CAHILL UNITED STATES MARSHAL

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 229
    Date: 1973
    Tracks: 21
    Time = 43:13

Great release for Elmer Bernstein fans! Intrada proudly offers world premiere release of Bernstein's powerful score for iconic John Wayne western from 1973, directed by veteran Andrew V. McLaglen, also featuring George Kennedy, Gary Grimes. Bernstein writes larger-than-life main theme for Wayne's U.S. marshal figure, then surrounds with action music as Cahill tracks down, does battle with trio of bank robbers. Lengthy initial robbery sequence ("Killers") is an action music highlight, but equal in excitement is climactic showdown ("Various Troubles"). Night time scene in "Cemetery" allows composer to display gifts for quiet child-like musical gestures, atmospheric ideas. To present complete score, courtesy Warner Bros., Intrada was given access to entire scoring session masters, recorded on 2" 16-channel tape, one of earliest scores recorded in then state-of-the-art multi-track format. This allowed creation of brand new stereo mixes of every cue in magnificent, vibrant audio with instrumental details as clear as if recorded today! Cool treat: while film itself uses vocal version of theme during middle search scene and as closing wrap-up, masters included orchestral cues originally written for both sequences and never heard until now. Especially exciting find is powerful orchestral ending to score, completely dropped in film in favor of quieter Charlie Rich vocal gently fading into silence. Intrada CD presents both unused orchestral cues as well as respective vocal sequences, written by Bernstein with lyrics by Don Black. Original Warner Bros. artwork campaign, array of color stills, complete cue assembly details plus informative notes by Jeff Bond complete handsome package. A must for John Wayne, Elmer Bernstein & western soundtrack buffs! Elmer Bernstein conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

01. Cahill: US Marshal (Main Title) 2:11
    02. Train 0:38
    03. Billy Joe 0:58
    04. Thickening Plot 1:11
    05. Killers 7:35
    06. Venture 2:01
    07. Apology 1:15
    08. Smoke 1:29
    09. New Money 0:38
    10. Surrounded 0:39
    11. Necktie Party 3:49
    12. Oath 0:48
    13. Born To Hang 1:18
    14. A Man Gets To Thinkin' (Instrumental) 1:49
    15. A Man Gets To Thinkin' (Vocal) 1:59
    16. Cemetery 4:27
    17. Lightfoot 1:30
    18. Danny - Billy Joe 1:20
    19. Various Troubles 5:02
    20. Finale 0:48
    21. A Man Gets To Thinkin' (End Cast) 1:05
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
  5. Timmer wrote

Same here. I guess I'm spoiled by Rozsa when it comes to this type of films. I like - for example - Jarre's "Jesus of Nazareth". But "The Ten Commandments" always seemed to sound like a western score in parts.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Same here. I guess I'm spoiled by Rozsa when it comes to this type of films. I like - for example - Jarre's "Jesus of Nazareth". But "The Ten Commandments" always seemed to sound like a western score in parts.

I've always felt Bernstein's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS sounded very BRITISH. There's a cue there that could have been pulled right out of a Benjamin Britten piece!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I've always felt Bernstein's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS sounded very BRITISH. There's a cue there that could have been pulled right out of a Benjamin Britten piece!

confused

Now that's something I've never thought. Can you pin point the cue or the Britten piece?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited
    Don't remember track titles very well, as I always listen to soundtracks without looking at where I am in the program. Let me listen to it again and get back to you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, listen to the track "The Exodus":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLEHuGYiJGQ

Especially from 3:15 onwards.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    I see what you mean. Could easily fit to a film like A Bridge Too Far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2013 edited
    New from Intrada...

THE CARPETBAGGERS
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
  6. Everytime this thread comes up I hope the long awaited Ten Commandmends release is here already.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. I'm a bit surprised nobody has picked op on this yet, but then again I'm the resident McCreary-nut around here.

Bear is posting Elmer Bernstein quotes on his Facebook page. They are quotes he wrote down during his classes at USC.

I thought I'd share them here...

This is what Bear had to say:

CaptaiBear McCreary wrote
    I was fortunate to work with legendary composer Elmer Bernstein for the last decade of his life. He was my mentor, friend & first employer. When I first arrived in LA, from the ages of 18 - 21, I sat in on Elmer's film scoring class at USC & wrote down every single word he said.

I recently discovered my old notebooks & found I had underlined 25 Elmer Bernstein quotes that caught my attention as a young composer. The quotes are as relevant today as they were then, and offer a glimpse into Elmer's creative process & political savvy.

For the next five weeks, I will post one Bernstein quote each business day.

Elmer Bernstein Quote-of-the-Day Number One:

"Respect the film. You don't have to like it."

Elmer Bernstein Quote-of-the-Day Number Two:

"Reactions to movies don't change. Only techniques [for making movies]."

I'll post the rest here, in the near future...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)