• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hmm, no takers just yet?

Any ways here is quote number 3: "Rich chords are not as scary as thin chords."
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  2. Cool quotes! I like them all so far. Thanks for sharing smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2013
    These quotes are nuggets of gold! Indeed thanks for sharing!
  3. And quote number 4: "Assume every person in the theater will experience the score once. Decide what you can communicate that people can absorb right away."
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    And quote number 4: "Assume every person in the theater will experience the score once. Decide what you can communicate that people can absorb right away."

I wonder is that quote applies to new films as the composers seem to ignore that one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Sorry for being offline for a bit.
    Here are the quotes you have missed so far.

Quote number 5:
    "If you don't enjoy the process, don't get into the business. Enjoy what you're doing, when you're doing it."

Quote number 6:
    "People look down on you when you criticize or belittle others. Don't do it."

Quote number 7:
    "Avoid talking about music with the filmmaker. Instead, ask 'What should the audience be feeling?'"

Quote number 8:
    "When a director knows exactly what he wants [from the score], he doesn't need a composer."

Quote number 9:
    "I don't think there is anything in your entire life that can confuse you as quickly as a filmmaker."

Quote number 10:
    "Never fear your talented competitors. Fear the charlatans."

Quote number 11:
    "No good score will ever be written if the director is always interfering."
  5. And here are two more:

Quote number 12:
    "To deny what a film is about is death for the score and the film alike."

Quote number 13:
    "If a filmmaker ever says 'Look, I just don't know enough about music, that's what you're here for,' go to your local church, get on your knees and thank God."
  6. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Quote number 13:
    "If a filmmaker ever says 'Look, I just don't know enough about music, that's what you're here for,' go to your local church, get on your knees and thank God."

biggrin punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Quote number 13:

Too bad that didn't work out for Nyman recently.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. And I'm back with some more quotes...

Quote number 14:
    "When people remember your scores, they're really remembering the film & the film experience. Not the music, just the association, because the music worked for them."

Quote number 15:
    "In the long run, you're judged by how you helped the film, not how many records you sold."

Quote number 16:
    "Focus on who you are, what you're willing to do or not do. Don't prostitute yourself.”

Quote number 17:
    "Temp Music: BAD."

Quote number 18:
    "Everybody on a film thinks they have two jobs: their own... and music."

Quote number 19:
    "If things keep going this way, there will be no more great scores." (1999)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    And I'm back with some more quotes...

Quote number 14:
    "When people remember your scores, they're really remembering the film & the film experience. Not the music, just the association, because the music worked for them."

Well, that certainly doesn't apply to me, but I know what ol' Elmer is getting at here. I'm guessing he doesn't really have film score fans in mind either. They're a sort of different beast altogether.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I just checked out the Bernstein's theme from Arthur of the Britons (Silva), a series I never saw or even heard of. Appearently it had one run in German TV back in the mid 70s, but I was too young then to remember. Anyhow, though the theme is quite nice, Bernstein's often seems to have a western feel to it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. Thor wrote
    Well, that certainly doesn't apply to me, but I know what ol' Elmer is getting at here. I'm guessing he doesn't really have film score fans in mind either. They're a sort of different beast altogether.

Funny you talk about 'they'. On this forum you're allowed to say 'we are sort of a different beast all together'.

I agree with you, though.
    I remember the score for what it is. Sometimes I even know the score before I know the movie.
    But I think Elmer was trying to educate film music composers how to do their job for regular movie go-ers wink.

Now to continue with two more quotes:

Quote number 20:
    "Jerry Goldsmith is the #1 composer working now. He's open to new ideas and always inventing." (1999)

Quote number 21:
    "If you get a chance to do the job, even if it’s going to be a mess. Do it."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    I just checked out the Bernstein's theme from Arthur of the Britons (Silva), a series I never saw or even heard of. Appearently it had one run in German TV back in the mid 70s, but I was too young then to remember. Anyhow, though the theme is quite nice, Bernstein's often seems to have a western feel to it.

Volker

...and that's what the composer of the TV series, Paul Lewis, thought too. Still, it's a lovely theme and I have a big nostalgic attachment to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. And two more quotes:

Quote number 22:
    "You can't change the system. You have to deal with it the way it is."

Quote number 23:
    "There is a mystical element to a flute in its low register."

We only have two more left...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013
    New from Buysoundtrax

ZULU DAWN
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    New from Buysoundtrax

ZULU DAWN

Looks like one I'll be interested in.
    Tom
  12. New Intrada release

LINK

THE MIRACLE (2CD)

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 243
    Date: 1959
    Tracks: 37
    Time = 94:49

Years in the making! Elmer Bernstein fans place such high esteem on epic 1959 score that composer starts club in 1974, makes highlights from The Miracle the first of his own music to re-record. 26 minutes make it to second LP on his private label, but incredible wealth of powerhouse music including massive choral segments, battle music, entire Spanish elements of score remain unrecorded... until now! Over 90 minutes of actual soundtrack music spread over 2 CDs! Large-scale picture from Warner Bros. directed by Irving Rapper, starring Carroll Baker, Roger Moore is set during vibrant era of Napoleonic Wars in 1812. Religious story sees young postulant leaving convent to pursue love, adventure. As Teresa embarks on worldly adventures, statue of Virgin Mary assumes her place until she returns. Tale of faith, love, war and tragedy all inspire Bernstein to create lengthy, ambitious score in vein of legendary Ten Commandments score for Cecil B. DeMille. Massive chords launch work from outset, spotlighting great power of Church, faith. Bernstein creates sweeping primary love theme for initial romance with British Captain during first part of movie, then writes dynamic Spanish-flavor music for her life amongst gypsies, new romance with bullfighter. This portion of score transforms theme into earthier shadings, brings in flamenco colors. Also highlighting both parts of film score are two massive cues underscoring the miracle itself (CD 1, track 8), battle of Waterloo (CD 2, track 12). Miracle sequence presents Bernstein at his most powerful, with magnificent series of fortissimo major chords for large orchestra, chorus playing in epic manner. Bernstein also arranges, adapts several period pieces to augment tale, all of which appear as "extras" on CD 2. Both versions of penultimate cue ("Gratitude") also appear. Entire presentation, including both orchestra and all choral overlays, comes from pristine mono elements housed at Warner Bros. Informative notes by Frank DeWald, old-fashioned "spectacular-style" artwork rounds out magnificent package. Elmer Bernstein conducts. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

CD 1
    01. Main Title 2:19
    02. At First Sight 2:34
    03. Aftermath 1:29
    04. Infirmary 3:02
    05. Un Momento 2:46
    06. Convalescence 1:52
    07. Stolen Fruit 1:35
    08. Departure/Decision/Flight/French Attack 12:09
    09. Musical Watch/Death News 1:12
    10. Christian Gypsy/Proposal 2:41
    11. A Woman for Carlitos/Michael’s Return 0:48
    12. Betrayal/Guido Dead
    CD 1 Total Time: 37:32

CD 2
    01. Madrid 2:18
    02. With Your Permission/The Painting 1:02
    03. Casimir Exits 0:59
    04. Teresa and Cordoba 1:53
    05. Hail the Matador/The Bull 0:52
    06. Cordoba’s Death 1:58
    07. La Morena Gitana 0:58
    08. Reunion 3:14
    09. Toast to Victory/Waltz 3:30
    10. Forgotten Vows 3:19
    11. Bugles/Action 1:12
    12. Waterloo/Teresa Departs/The Journey/Arrival at Convent/Madonna Returns 11:35
    13. Gratitude 0:55
    14. Ave Verum Corpus (Mozart, arr. Bernstein)/End Title 2:47

The Extras
    15. French Attack (alternate) 3:11
    16. A Woman for Carlitos/Michael’s Return (film version, no vocal) 0:48
    17. Gratitude (alternate) 0:57
    18. Oh Maria, Madre Mia (Traditional, arr. Bernstein) 3:05
    19. Salve Virgen Pura (Unknown, arr. Bernstein) 2:28
    20. British Grenadiers (Unknown, arr. Bernstein) 0:57
    21. Auld Lang Syne (Traditional, arr. Bernstein) 1:09
    22. La Boca de Pepita (Unknown, arr. Bernstein) 2:03
    23. Cancion de Maja (Unknown, arr. Bernstein) 2:09
    24. Muineira (Unknown, arr. Bernstein) 0:49
    25. Adoramus Te (Palestrina, arr. Bernstein) 2:07
    CD 2 Total Time: 57:17
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    For some reason I'm not tempted. Maybe it has to do with the fact I have too many CD's.
    Tom smile
  13. sdtom wrote
    For some reason I'm not tempted. Maybe it has to do with the fact I have too many CD's.
    Tom smile

I have the Bernstein re-recording that came as part of the Bernstein Box and I don't feel the need to "upgrade".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    New from Buysoundtrax

ZULU DAWN

Looks like one I'll be interested in.
    Tom

It finally arrived and I've listened a couple of times with a positive response.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/z … bernstein/

My review of Zulu Dawn
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013 edited
    This fascinating tale about the recording of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON posted by hollywoodandallthat over at FSM

http://hollywoodandallthat.com/2013/12/ … -its-bite/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Very nicely written and, as you say, fascinating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    Concur
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/t … bernstein/

My latest review. A nice effort from Elmer Bernstein
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    Thanks Tom. I didn't even know this had been released.
  14. I reviewed GHOSTBUSTERS as the first part of my new "Throwback Thirty" series.

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/08/07/ghost … bernstein/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    Jon Broxton wrote
    While Ghostbusters does have a lot going from it from a nostalgia point of view, and while anyone who was a kid in 1984 will clearly want to add it to their collection, from a purely musical point of view it strikes me as a little lightweight. Dana’s theme and the Ghostbusters march are familiar and enjoyable, and the Ghost theme does elicit some spooky thrills, but it’s lack of development and innovation is curious, especially for a composer as eminent as Bernstein was. If you’re a fan of the film, this is invaluable; for others, less so.

Great review Jon and the above sentences pretty much sum up my feelings on the score. I really wanted this for so many years but when I finally got it was curiously disappointed.

Nostalgia for the win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    While Ghostbusters does have a lot going from it from a nostalgia point of view, and while anyone who was a kid in 1984 will clearly want to add it to their collection, from a purely musical point of view it strikes me as a little lightweight. Dana’s theme and the Ghostbusters march are familiar and enjoyable, and the Ghost theme does elicit some spooky thrills, but it’s lack of development and innovation is curious, especially for a composer as eminent as Bernstein was. If you’re a fan of the film, this is invaluable; for others, less so.

Great review Jon and the above sentences pretty much sum up my feelings on the score. I really wanted this for so many years but when I finally got it was curiously disappointed.

Nostalgia for the win!

Same here. It's mostly the songs that have a nostalgic (and musical) value for me. I sold off my old GHOSTBUSTERS score CD. But I still have the quirky theme on a Bernstein compilation. That's enough.
    I am extremely serious.