• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Anyone who's familiar with string-playing techniques, can you please check this sample and help me a bit -

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5201875979ee92a4/

It's an unreleased cue from a TV show I've been trying to remake in FL Studio. While I successfully "decoded" the notes, the result is not even close to the original. Can you please tell me -

1) How the "hanging" effect is produced during the solo note at the 0:03 and 0:30 sec mark?
    2) What's the technique being used at the 0:22 mark? I tried pizzcato but it doesn't sound accurate.
    3) If the low "bass" notes during the ascending section at 0:32 made by low strings?

Thanks in advance! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is that real instruments? The accompanying notes below are synthesized horns and i have a feeling that the strings are synthesized too, libraries and all. Plus i don't "get" what effects are you talking about, it's normal string playing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is that real instruments? The accompanying notes below are synthesized horns and i have a feeling that the strings are synthesized too, libraries and all. Plus i don't "get" what effects are you talking about, it's normal string playing.

D, I don't hear any synthesized instruments... All I hear are some badly recorded horns, strings, and percussion. But I agree with you in that this is all normal playing - nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps the recording is what's throwing you off, Ravi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    I tried pizzcato but it doesn't sound accurate.

Ravi, you do realize that pizzicato is a plucking technique, right? From what I can tell, all the notes in your sample are bowed, not plucked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The effect I mean is when the one note briefly pauses and a kind of reverb effect was produced with it, I wondered if it can be done with real strings or is synthesized. As far as I know it is a real (albeit small) section of instruments playing, dunno if there were synths used.

Thanks anyway! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i am not home and i heard it on a poor 2.1 system here but the horns sound awful thus i assumed they were fake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I tried pizzcato but it doesn't sound accurate.

Ravi, you do realize that pizzicato is a plucking technique, right? From what I can tell, all the notes in your sample are bowed, not plucked.

Yeah, that's why it wasn't sounding accurate.

Thanks telling about the horns! I wonder how it will sound if played and orchestrated by a proper orchestra..
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    3) If the low "bass" notes during the ascending section at 0:32 made by low strings?

Sounds to me like either a tuba, cello, or double bass. If it were tuba it would have to be playing rather high, but there's something about the attack of the notes that makes me wonder if this could be the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Actually they sound awful because it's a rip from a DVD joined together from many SFX-less portions (the same cue plays many times) and then "remastered" by me to sound a bit better. I think I did a bad job tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Actually they sound awful because it's a rip from a DVD joined together from many SFX-less portions (the same cue plays many times) and then "remastered" by me to sound a bit better. I think I did a bad job tongue

Ah, OK. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think I got what was wrong; I was trying to use a low cello instead of horns and that's why it screwed up.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! beer kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Thanks a lot for the help, guys! beer kiss

No problem. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So it was Horns after all wasn't it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    So it was Horns after all wasn't it? wink

LOL, yeah biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eat that William tongue
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    DemonStar wrote2) What's the technique being used at the 0:22 mark? I tried pizzcato but it doesn't sound

It's called Tremolo or Tremolando, basically a single note is played in rapid succession, a very common used technique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    steb74 wrote
    DemonStar wrote2) What's the technique being used at the 0:22 mark? I tried pizzcato but it doesn't sound

It's called Tremolo or Tremolando, basically a single note is played in rapid succession, a very common used technique.

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Can someone tell me what kind of string technique Horner used to make those violins "shriek" in the track "Grand Slam Demons" of We're Back - A Dinosaur's Story? I always found that sound utterly fascinating and it almost sounds like Horner broke through several violins just to record that one track! That sound can't be good for an instrument!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Any sound sample readily available?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Yes, please provide a sample if you can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … --answers/

It's clip #8 in my Animation Ruminations game.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Oh my... "Strings" in the title made me think of the programming kind of strings. Am I overworked now? crazy
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Eat that William tongue

rolleyes shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it sounds like really loud whistling, that's air coming out very, very loud. That or it is coupled with another instrument or part of a wind instrument (the embouchure e.g.) played in such a way that only the wind passing through sound is produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rian wrote
    Oh my... "Strings" in the title made me think of the programming kind of strings. Am I overworked now? crazy

Interesting fact is that the average dude would firstly (and primarily) think of these strings instead. You're obviously too smart, too geeky or too disturbed tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Rian wrote

Interesting fact is that the average dude would firstly (and primarily) think of these strings instead. You're obviously too smart, too geeky or too disturbed tongue

rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Awwww... you got me there. I program for a living. :geek:

Edit: no geek smiley? Bregt??
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Rian wrote
    Awwww... you got me there. I program for a living. :geek:

Edit: no geek smiley? Bregt??

We don't do geek.

We do however like strings taken off.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LAST warning, you overblown bags of testosterone. angry

Martijn wrote
    Repeated appeal from your MOD (with the power to edit and to BAN), in possibly a slightly sterner tone of voice with maybe just a hint of starting to sound ominous:

Martijn wrote
    At this time I would advocate starting a separate 18+ subforum to keep the testosterone gone wild out of the less hormonally imbalanced threads...

If you persist in this kind of behaviour, I'll have no choice but to...
    shocked

Apologies, Master...didn't recognise you there...
    :grovel:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You all want too much smileys. I want something back! Like cookies, or kisses.
    Kazoo