• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Scores that are bad;
    scores that are good BUT nobody cares enough to actually to talk about or review;
    scores that are just careless and nobody would notice if they never existed.

They all fall into this topic.

Ok, from 2008 'till now, the major releases that come to mind now:

24: Redemption : Sean Callery - except for a few fans of the series, Sean Callery's synthetic score for the series / movie doesn't seem to attract the least bits of attention from anyone else. I wouldn't know probably as i haven't listened to it, nor do i plan to.

APPALOOSA
    : Jeff Beal - Not his greatest fan so i don't plan on listening to this anytime soon, but apart some scarce mentions here and there, particularly of a strong main theme, not many people seem to care.

Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer): I haven't heard it but apparently it's so bad (except for the opening titles) that not even Zimmer / RC lovers don't care to comment about it.

The (2 CD Special Edition) of The Dark Knight-Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer), James Newton Howard (Composer) - Not the original score per se, but this "special" limited edition of 2CDs. Not surprisingly 'cause very few sane individuals would actually pay the demanded price tag to hear more from a score that's already adequately represented on the initial official cd release.

Gears of War 2 The Soundtrack ~ Steve Jablonsky (Composer): I actually think it's pretty good. Slightly inferior to THE ISLAND, D-WARS and TRANSFORMERS from which it borrows greatly but is still very, very entertaining. I guess Mr.Jablonsky's name doesn't "Echoe" to many peoples' ears. The same goes for...

POUR ELLE - Klaus Badelt: Who? What? Where? Whah?

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
    - THE SCORe - Christophe Beck: apart the initial buss from several hardcore fans of the series when it was announced, it has too fallen into anonymity. I haven't heard it and i don't think i want to.

MARK ISHAM - Pride and Glory: I haven't seen the slightest mention to this;

Passengers - ~ Edward Shearmur: It's good, enjoyable. Nothing special but if you're into the more ambient, THOMAS NEWMAN writing and you like standardized modern urban-esque, piano-driven and electronically-enhanced scores, you'll like it too.

CHANGELING - Clint Eastwood: Well, it's the usual piano and string lullaby fair by Eastwood. Quite enjoyable if you're into this thing but very little to no mentions in general.

Max Payne - ~ Marco Beltrami: Not unfairly. It's a HUGE borefest, imho.

ICHI - Lisa Gerrard: I've heard it twice. Nothing there to make me return to it more than that, some of the most uninspired Gerrard wailings to date.

OXFORD CRIMES
    - Roque Banos : an excellent, elegant thriller score imo, surprised to see it go under the radar.

What do you think about this? Any more contributions? Thoughts? Comments? smile wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    24: Redemption : Sean Callery - except for a few fans of the series, Sean Callery's synthetic score for the series / movie doesn't seem to attract the least bits of attention from anyone else. I wouldn't know probably as i didn't listen to it, nor do i plan to. :

I have to agree. Weak, very weak score. Callery has been far more inspired in the regular music for the show.

Christodoulides wrote
    Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer): I haven't heard it but apparently it's so bad (except for the opening titles) that not even Zimmer / RC lovers don't care to comment about it.

A pile of crap. What starts really good with the first track continues (and ends) with a vomit

Christodoulides wrote
    The (2 CD Special Edition) of The Dark Knight-Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer), James Newton Howard (Composer) - Not the original score per se, but this "special" limited edition of 2CDs. Not surprisingly 'cause very few sane individuals would actually pay the demanded price tag to hear more from a score that's already adequately represented on the initial official cd release.

Exactly. Why have they relesed a special edition of this particular score is beyond my comprehenision.

Christodoulides wrote

Have you listened to it? How is it?

Christodoulides wrote
    Max Payne - ~ Marco Beltrami: Not unfairly. It's a HUGE borefest, imho.

Three guys to do Max Payne´s score? And they came up with this? Ok... rolleyes (not that the film could inspire them though).

Christodoulides wrote
    OXFORD CRIMES [/b]- Roque Banos : an excellent, elegant thriller score imo, surprised to see it go under the radar.

punk Roque is the man!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Afrika - Wataru Hokoyama

If I didn't bring this up again, I firmly believe that not a single eye would have blinked as this passed. I'm glad I saw that video of the sessions again and it reminded me, as is probably the best score to come out this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very well constructed score, but personally, as far as game scores go for 2008 i prefer AGE OF CONAN: THE HYBORIAN ADVENTURES and GEARS OF WAR 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no idea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

Christodoulides wrote

Have you listened to it? How is it?

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_28
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stop Loss!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Ah yeah! Couldn't agree more.

STOP LOSS - John Powell; what's one very emotional albeit low-key score by the composer has been sadly overshadowed by the good but largely conventional scores for animated movies he wrote this year. While they are fun and enjoyable, i think there's way more depth in his work for STOP LOSS, a work that features a notably melancholic and effective main theme and one of his most fragile piano compositions to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I'd add Joe Hisaishi's Ponyo on a Cliff to the list. It's my favorite album of the year, but I haven't seen anyone talking about unfortunately. Here's a short review with sound clips I wrote up earlier this summer:

http://scorecheck.blogspot.com/2008/08/ … aishi.html
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jumper - Griffin's Story - Available for free on Chris Tilton's site, and way better than Powell's movie score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Very well constructed score, but personally, as far as game scores go for 2008 i prefer AGE OF CONAN: THE HYBORIAN ADVENTURES and GEARS OF WAR 2.

But wait a minute. Your shoot down Hokoyama's score for being a Williams clone yet you support Gear of War 2 which is just another Zimmer clone.

Hummm....

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even though Jabba makes a very minor appearance in the Okapi track, I wouldn't say Afrika is very Williams at all! In fact, I'm far more reminded of Goldsmith's African-themed efforts than anything else!

That said, I'm enjoying the heck out of this score: lyrical and lovely and warm.
    A true labor of love (well, it sounds that way anyway)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    That said, I'm enjoying the heck out of this score: lyrical and lovely and warm.
    A true labor of love (well, it sounds that way anyway)

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

You're nuts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Gears of war 2 is no Zimmer clone, is a Jablonsky work; If you consider Jablonsky a plain Zimmer rip-off, then i have no argument whatsoever, it's your problem wink While AFRIKA is a superior score to GEARS OF WAR 2, i personally prefer the later. I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe Zimmer clones sit better to my ears than the countless Williams / Goldsmith ones through the years over which i prefer the originals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Been going through my 2008 scores and finally found two fabulous releases that don't get much attention on the board.

-----

Justice League: The New Frontier - Kevin Manthei

Even though the score is performed almost completely on synths, Manthei must has some impressive processors to make his synths sound this good. The addition of a few organic instruments... solo trumpet... helps make this score feel more alive. The writing is superb, the action cues are delightful, full of energy and contain some impressive orchestrations. The Bernard Herrmannesque film noir pieces are most welcome. The themes are memorable, complex and not forgotten during the albums play time. It one of my surprises of the year! I love it!

----

Batman: Gotham Knight - Christopher Drake, Robert J. Kral and Kevin Manthei

Quite possibly the best Batman music I've heard since Mask of the Phantasm. This is superb... synths and all. I really enjoyed Manthei's Justice League: A New Frontier so I had some expectation coming into Gotham Knight. WOW! Incredible. The main theme evokes all the right moods... dark, gothic and melodic. Drake, Kral and Manthei do more with their two note motif than Zimmer and Howard ever did for theirs.

This animated film centres around 6 separate stories which are visually and tonally different each contain different styled scores from each composer. From classic, traditional symphonic scores to more atonal with electronic experimentation.

Unfortunately, the first score centres around a bunch of skater kids who witness Batman's heroics therefore the score has an unfortunate rock/surf style to it. Loud, noisy and totally uninteresting. But the opening main theme is wonderful... in the spirit of the Zimmer/Howard scores but far more interesting musically. However, the second cue "Living Shadow/Living Shadow Finale" is a fantastic cue featuring some incredibly creative orchestrations. There's some B-movie horror scoring with a modern twist and Drake tips his cap to Elfman and Walker right at the end of the suite that gave me goosebumps.

"Crossfire" is really experimental. Manthei channeled anime as his influence and mashed Eastern and Western elements together for a purely electronic score. Bizarre is the perfect word to describe this short score.

Kral's "Field Test" scores goes back to a more traditional sound. Again, it stays incredibly dark with some exciting action material.

"In Darkness Dwells" is Drake making a conscience decision to tip his cap to Zimmer and Howard since dialog and characters from Nolan's vision are present in this segment. IMHO, Drake's stuff is far more interesting and creative. The electronic pulse from Zimmer and Howard's score is there but the orchestrations and more traditional elements over top over it make this the most interesting score for Nolan's vision Batman. Drake's score is what I would rather hear in our modern Batman franchise. It's far more musically interesting.

"Working Through Pain" is all Indian influences. Duduk and traditional Indian instruments are highlighted here as Bruce Wayne journeys through India searching or a way to deal with his pain and looking to others for help. While the Indian instrumentation is an interesting device in a Batman score this portion of the album really doesn't do much for me.

The last episode "Deadshot" returns to a more traditional Elfman/Walker type score but with different themes and motifs. Kral didn't want to repeat himself in this score with material from "Field Test." The highlight cue is the epic 6 minute plus track "Gordon/Batman/The Train" which contains the classic Gothic sound for Batman and some up beat heroic action material. The suite end with a lovely piano motif representing Wayne's parents.

And the album ends with the epic End Credits which blows away anything from the two new Batman films.

For the most part this is a very satisfying and surprising album.

-----

Both score are available on La La Land Records.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe Zimmer clones sit better to my ears than the countless Williams / Goldsmith ones through the years over which i prefer the originals.

Yeah, well, you didn't like Lair either, I seem to remember, so I join Steven in raising some possible question marks over your continued mental stability...

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gears of war 2 is no Zimmer clone, is a Jablonsky work;

aka Zimmer clone. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

aka Zimmer clone. wink

-Erik-

Actually Jablonsky did a lot ghostwriting. So, perhaps Zimmer is Jablonsky clone tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gears of war 2 is no Zimmer clone, is a Jablonsky work; If you consider Jablonsky a plain Zimmer rip-off, then i have no argument whatsoever, it's your problem wink While AFRIKA is a superior score to GEARS OF WAR 2, i personally prefer the later. I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe Zimmer clones sit better to my ears than the countless Williams / Goldsmith ones through the years over which i prefer the originals.

The issue is that you go out of your way to signal out the cloning (and apparently the only fault) in Afrika yet are quiet happy to zip it up when it comes down to Jablonsky's major influence. Look, I'm guilty as fucking charged here as well. I'm more than happy if a composer follows the Williams school of composing over Zimmer's (and I'm pretty vocal on that aspect as well) but what irritates the piss out of me more than anything else is "Copy and Paste." I don't hear it in Afrika and I've bravely skimmed through Gear of Wars 2 and haven't heard any transplants in that one either.

Anyway...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't see why that's a problem. Maybe Zimmer clones sit better to my ears than the countless Williams / Goldsmith ones through the years over which i prefer the originals.

Yeah, well, you didn't like Lair either, I seem to remember, so I join Steven in raising some possible question marks over your continued mental stability...

wink

Let's see you sitting over the entire LAIR duration at once wink

It's a good score Martijn, my main problems with it are 2 (besides the lack of originality): 1) it's TOO MUCH. 2) I really find it very hard to stand the "call me Lisa Gerrard 2" Lisbeth Scott's wailings lately, with some notable exceptions (one if Passion of the christ). In LAIR, partly due to the recording as well, her performance is too dry for me to the point it annoys me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ColSharpe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

aka Zimmer clone. wink

-Erik-

Actually Jablonsky did a lot ghostwriting. So, perhaps Zimmer is Jablonsky clone tongue

tee hee freakin' hee!

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The issue is that you go out of your way to signal out the cloning (and apparently the only fault) in Afrika yet are quiet happy to zip it up when it comes down to Jablonsky's major influence. Look, I'm guilty as fucking charged here as well. I'm more than happy if a composer follows the Williams school of composing over Zimmer's (and I'm pretty vocal on that aspect as well) but what irritates the piss out of me more than anything else is "Copy and Paste." I don't hear it in Afrika and I've bravely skimmed through Gear of Wars 2 and haven't heard any transplants in that one either.

Anyway...

-Erik-

Are you banging on the same tree again? I've explained perfectly well the meaning of the phrase as i meant it and i told you to choose something else over it if you like, in the filmmusiccritics forum to which last argument i don't recall you answering. Why do you stick on the surface again? And where did i mention the "copy-paste" phrase in here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Hah! You know full well I'm in the Thor camp of proportional representation.
    Rather 30 minutes of magic, than 30 minutes hidden away among 75 minutes of mediocrity!
    It's the official release for me, baby!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

wink

It's a good score Martijn, my main problems with it are 2 (besides the lack of originality): 1) it's TOO MUCH. 2) I really find it very hard to stand the "call me Lisa Gerrard 2" Lisbeth Scott's wailings lately, with some notable exceptions (one if Passion of the christ). In LAIR, partly due to the recording as well, her performance is too dry for me to the point it annoys me.

Oh, but Debney did so much more with Lisbeth Scott than wailing, Demetris. 2007's best cue featured a stunning vocal performance of the Lair's "Civilization Theme" in "Epilogue" that is easily one of Debney top 3 cues of all time.

BTW, Lair is easy as pie to sit through. It's a film composer smogasborg but it's what Debney did with the previously existing music that is magical. I tell ya right now, I prefer "Diviner Battle" over "Battle of the Heroes."

As for the sound quality... ya, the iTunes stuff is really compressed to shit. The dynamic range is almost completely gone. The 5 track promo I have sounds wonderful.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Anyway...

-Erik-

Are you banging on the same tree again? I've explained perfectly well the meaning of the phrase as i meant it and i told you to choose something else over it if you like, in the filmmusiccritics forum to which last argument i don't recall you answering. Why do you stick on the surface again? And where did i mention the "copy-paste" phrase in here?

I wasn't referencing our discussion about it here or at filmmusiccritics. I was just bringing it up because I wanted to share with ALL something that irritates me more than cloning... it's copy and pasting. A little touchy aren't we?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, that wasn't entirely obvious to me, i thought you were referring to that. shame Anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, i haven't heard Justice League: The New Frontier - Kevin Manthei and
    Batman: Gotham Knight - Christopher Drake, Robert J. Kral and Kevin Manthei but i have to admit that the most off-putting element to me is the "synth" tag; i found my self very rarely returning back to all synth / all library scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, i haven't heard Justice League: The New Frontier - Kevin Manthei and
    Batman: Gotham Knight - Christopher Drake, Robert J. Kral and Kevin Manthei but i have to admit that the most off-putting element to me is the "synth" tag; i found my self very rarely returning back to all synth / all library scores.

Fine... but give it a listen. Don't dis the actually written music because it's fantastic. And what Manthei and his group managed to do with the synths is pretty remarkable. I hate synths too but if that's all you got then there really isn't much you can do but be creative with them... and boy did Manthei do an incredible job.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Coming from you, whom i know as a synth-hater indeed, i might check them out eventually.