• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    D, have you had a listen to 24 Redemption?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Coming from you, whom i know as a synth-hater indeed, i might check them out eventually.

I should rephrase. I'm not really a synth hater. I just hate it when there is a sizable budget to use a real symphony orchestra and the score was written for a symphony orchestra yet for some crazy reason was mostly performed on a synth or the orchestra gets drowned out by a barrage of synths. That pisses me off. But stuff like Blade Runner, The Dig, Vibes, Starman, main theme from Airwolf, etc turn me on.

However, when all you have to work with are synths (budget) yet you have written for a full symphony and can produce a sound that Jeremy Soule can produce then I'm all for synths.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, when all you have to work with are synths (budget) yet you have written for a full symphony and can produce a sound that Jeremy Soule can produce then I'm all for synths.

JEREMY SOULE! punk
    Good mention!

Why the heck doesn't he get any film work?
    (Maybe the game industry pays better?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Word, Erik, word! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Just ordered the batman cd for less than 6$. It'll better be good! tongue
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Dead Space (video game score)

Jason Graves

For me this is THE SCORE OF THE YEAR ! It's so bold and dissonant, full of the 20th-century avant garde techniques that it sometimes even surpasses Elliot Goldenthal's best, similar works, Alien 3, FF:TSW etc.

Anyone that enjoys the Alien franchise should definitely check this. Hell this score blows "Decimation Proclamation" away, totally.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    elenewton wrote
    Dead Space

elenewton wrote
    avant garde techniques

Seriously, you like that type of writing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Anthony wrote
    elenewton wrote
    Dead Space

elenewton wrote
    avant garde techniques

Seriously, you like that type of writing?

Not always, but it's so effective to shake the house and annoy the neighbors...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    David wrote
    I'd add Joe Hisaishi's Ponyo on a Cliff to the list. It's my favorite album of the year, but I haven't seen anyone talking about unfortunately. Here's a short review with sound clips I wrote up earlier this summer:

http://scorecheck.blogspot.com/2008/08/ … aishi.html

Apparently you haven't visited Now Playing thread... wink

Once the movie (and hopefully soundtrack) is released in the US and Europe, I'm sure it'll get more recognition.

Nice review and clips, by the way!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Miya wrote
    David wrote
    I'd add Joe Hisaishi's Ponyo on a Cliff to the list. It's my favorite album of the year, but I haven't seen anyone talking about unfortunately. Here's a short review with sound clips I wrote up earlier this summer:

http://scorecheck.blogspot.com/2008/08/ … aishi.html

Apparently you haven't visited Now Playing thread... wink

Once the movie (and hopefully soundtrack) is released in the US and Europe, I'm sure it'll get more recognition.

Nice review and clips, by the way!

Haha, glad to know someone else out there has heard it! smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Quantum Of Solace!

Yes! Severely underrated imo. Sure it's not the most coherent score ever, but it's damn fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I loved Batman: Gotham Knight! In portions of it the synths were so well done that I probably couldn't have distinguished it from a real orchestra if I hadn't known before!
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    P.S. I Love You
    Tropic Thunder
    Untraceable
    Surf's Up
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Untraceable was a snooz fest from what i remember. Interesting how tastes differ as i'd actually place QOS in the overrated bunch of the year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Quantum Of Solace!

Yes! Severely underrated imo. Sure it's not the most coherent score ever, but it's damn fun!

I've still yet to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wouldn't mind listening to The Changeling away from the film but I wonder if it is worth a $20 bill.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not really imo except if you REALLY like Eastwood's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Which is why I bought the new release of the older Johnny Williams material
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can't resist in saying it goes unnoticed with me if I haven't heard it this year fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    D, have you had a listen to 24 Redemption?

From the previous page:

"I wouldn't know probably as i haven't listened to it, nor do i plan to."

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Very well constructed score, but personally, as far as game scores go for 2008 i prefer AGE OF CONAN: THE HYBORIAN ADVENTURES and GEARS OF WAR 2.

Indeed, Age of Conan is one of the ultimate surprises of this year, a review stands ready to mesmerize you all smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer beer
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    beer beer

ahhhh, that's at least one fan looking forward to my reviews biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never heard of it
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it's rather more subdued than the Poledouris scores, but it's quite nice.
    It's a LOT better than Charles Fox' efforts on the TV series. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    Well, it's rather more subdued than the Poledouris scores, but it's quite nice.
    It's a LOT better than Charles Fox' efforts on the TV series. angry

it is indeed not that pompous, but ethereal, wonderful, powerful in some parts, basically it is a wonderful listening experience
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jumper

I still give it heat, but it's really not as bad as I make it sound. angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Jumper

I still give it heat, but it's really not as bad as I make it sound. angelic

No, it i worse wink

I prefer Tilton´s Jumper, which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread by Anthony. It has my vote too.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    But most of these scores even though some claim are "underrated" or "not as bad as they sound" are still very talked-about.

D's original point, I think, was to bring up scores that truly hadn't been discussed at all, for better or for worse.

Personally I haven't heard a single peep out of anyone save myself about Horner's The Life Before Her Eyes. Granted, I wasn't a member of the board earlier in the year when it came out, but I still feel it slipped under the radar. Personally I'm mostly unmoved by it, but it's starting to grow on me.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me