• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jumper

I still give it heat, but it's really not as bad as I make it sound. angelic

No, it i worse wink

I prefer Tilton´s Jumper, which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread by Anthony. It has my vote too.

Tilton's is easily better, but Powell's is becoming increasingly enjoyable!
  1. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

Alone In The Dark - Olivier Deriviere

L'Amore Non Basta - Piernicola Di Muro (available on iTunes)

Torchwood - Ben Foster

Tropic Thunder - Theodore Shapiro
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    But most of these scores even though some claim are "underrated" or "not as bad as they sound" are still very talked-about.

D's original point, I think, was to bring up scores that truly hadn't been discussed at all, for better or for worse.

Personally I haven't heard a single peep out of anyone save myself about Horner's The Life Before Her Eyes. Granted, I wasn't a member of the board earlier in the year when it came out, but I still feel it slipped under the radar. Personally I'm mostly unmoved by it, but it's starting to grow on me.

LIFE BEFORE HER EYES is certainly one of the scores that DO fit in this category, good point. Personally i think that it slept under the radar for a good reason wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Alone In The Dark - Olivier Deriviere

L'Amore Non Basta - Piernicola Di Muro (available on iTunes)

Torchwood - Ben Foster

Alan, i haven't heard of those. Any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Well, it's rather more subdued than the Poledouris scores, but it's quite nice.
    It's a LOT better than Charles Fox' efforts on the TV series. angry

it is indeed not that pompous, but ethereal, wonderful, powerful in some parts, basically it is a wonderful listening experience

Hey, I *like* pompous. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I'd just spent the last 30 minutes writing out a paragraph each why I'd recommend all the 3 you're not familiar with Demetris. And I thought that I'd Control-C just in case I lost the eloquent prose during uploading. But Control-V instead of Control-C meant that I lost it all long before I got to upload anything. So here's the edited version:

yes, they are all good and certainly worth checking out.

crazy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote

crazy

biggrin

I can chime in on Ben Foster's Torchwood, which is quite worth the effort. Not as powerful as Gold's work on Doctor Who (where Foster was the conductor and additional composer), but this solo effort is still greatly enjoyable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd just spent the last 30 minutes writing out a paragraph each why I'd recommend all the 3 you're not familiar with Demetris. And I thought that I'd Control-C just in case I lost the eloquent prose during uploading. But Control-V instead of Control-C meant that I lost it all long before I got to upload anything. So here's the edited version:

crazy

Couldn't you just do a Control-Z to undo the Control-V and then do a Control-C?

Then again, sometimes simple is the best way to go. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer): I haven't heard it but apparently it's so bad (except for the opening titles) that not even Zimmer / RC lovers don't care to comment about it.

I actually quite enjoy it.... I just wish more of the music had been released. Some people are probably upset that the music has some techno/dance moments. They don't bother me.

Christodoulides wrote

STOP LOSS - John Powell; what's one very emotional albeit low-key score by the composer has been sadly overshadowed by the good but largely conventional scores for animated movies he wrote this year. While they are fun and enjoyable, i think there's way more depth in his work for STOP LOSS, a work that features a notably melancholic and effective main theme and one of his most fragile piano compositions to date.

I enjoy this too. I only think it got little attention because Powell had so many other great scores this year as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa ~ Hans Zimmer (Composer): I haven't heard it but apparently it's so bad (except for the opening titles) that not even Zimmer / RC lovers don't care to comment about it.

I actually quite enjoy it.... I just wish more of the music had been released. Some people are probably upset that the music has some techno/dance moments. They don't bother me.

Christodoulides wrote

STOP LOSS - John Powell; what's one very emotional albeit low-key score by the composer has been sadly overshadowed by the good but largely conventional scores for animated movies he wrote this year. While they are fun and enjoyable, i think there's way more depth in his work for STOP LOSS, a work that features a notably melancholic and effective main theme and one of his most fragile piano compositions to date.

I enjoy this too. I only think it got little attention because Powell had so many other great scores this year as well.

Well of different styles - yes, but are they really greater than STOP LOSS? Me thinks not. They're more on equal levels but of different musical approaches, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Torchwood works much better if you know what it is about. I can easily see lots of people vomit ing over it just because the personla connection isn´t there. But IF you´ve seen the series, you know exactly why the music is the way it is, what it stands for and how goddam WELL DONE it all is. A PERFECT FIT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    I haven't seen the series (apart from the pilot, which I hated), but I like the score a lot. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    There's another score I just realized hasn't been talked about a lot but I think deserves more discussion. It's by this guy called Brian Tyler, and it's called Eagle Eye. Anyone heard about it?

*dodges bottle caps and slippers thrown his way* biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Okay seriously, here's one that hasn't gotten any comments: Igor, Patrick Doyle. Thoughts? I think it's quite wonderful.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't heard it yet. Eagle Eye on the other hand, whilst probably the least original major effort this year, it's major kick ass in my books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I'm listening to "Cliff Chase" from Igor now. Great fun. And "Eva"'s piano theme is gorgeous.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What about the amounts of mickey-mousing? Are there any?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm wondering about this too as this is one thing that is keeping me away from this score. If it's pretty decent, I may check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i've been doing it lately with all animated movie score. I am very preoccupied against mickey-mousing lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote

I actually popped it back in just now (I rarely ever listen to a CD twice in a row like that!) with a special attention to mickey-mousing, but as I recall there really isn't very much of it. Each track usually has one major emotional anchor that follows it all the way through without turning on a dime to match the on-screen action.

The track "Evil Annie" has some wickedly fun hidden references to the song "Tomorrow" in it! (get it? "Annie") The song is even credited on the back insert.

I also remember one particularly gorgeous emotional piece toward the end but I can't recall which one.
  3. The "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" CD was released this year, but the score on it is from 98 to 2000.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Okay, there is some amount of mickey-mousing on Igor, especially in the first few tracks, like "Blind Orphans" but most of it is really coherent, and really has some nice subtle themes. No wonder I didn't realize it was this promising at first. And truly, the score is bookended in a way that will make you think you're listening to Sense and Sensibility. Gorgeous piano solos....
  4. Myself, I haven't watched the series even, so I can't care much about the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I watched the series, loved the series in fact, loved Angel even more... but the music? Good for TV in some episodes I suppose (although I don't remember much when it comes to the music), but no match for a good film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Okay, there is some amount of mickey-mousing on Igor, especially in the first few tracks, like "Blind Orphans" but most of it is really coherent, and really has some nice subtle themes. No wonder I didn't realize it was this promising at first. And truly, the score is bookended in a way that will make you think you're listening to Sense and Sensibility. Gorgeous piano solos....

Ok, will most probably check it out; sounds too good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    "Opening Night Presents" is that track I was referring to. Just heartbreakingly beautiful almost in an Edward Scissorhands-meets-Home Alone way, but without chorus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009
    DANNY ELFMAN - Milk ; it's like it's never existed biggrin

TYLER BATES - the day the earth stood still; not without a reason, imo.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009
    To be honest, Milk's only just come out hasn't it? The only reason I haven't heard it is because I haven't had a chance to.
  5. Anthony wrote
    To be honest, Milk's only just come out hasn't it? The only reason I haven't heard it is because I haven't had a chance to.

Same here.

I'm also waiting to get my hands on this one. From what I've heard of it it should be worth waiting for.