• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There are some more or less famous director and composer collaborations and two of those are Julie Taymor and Elliot Goldenthal & Jonathan Lynn and Randy Edelman.

I once wrote an e-mail to director Jonathan Lynn and asked him some film music questions and one of those questions where "Which composer that you have NOT worked with would you love to sometime in the future collaborate with?" and his very unexpected answer was Philip Glass.

At the end of january/beginning of february is the Gothenburg Film Festival here in Sweden and this year they had Julie Taymor as one of the guests appearing there. I was at her lecture there and afterwards I got to speak a little with her (and no, "Mr. Taymor" himself Elliot Goldenthal was not with her). One of the questions I got to ask her was: "If Elliot is not available for an upcoming movie of yours who would you consider to hire instead?" Her answer was first jokingly that that never happens but she later on said that she like what Jonny Greenwood did with There Will Be Blood so she said that she could imagine herself working with Jonny Greenwood.

These answers where both very unexpected. What do you think? Could you imagine seeing films with those collaborations or rather hearing those collaborations?

Do you know about other more or less famous directors that usually hires one and same composers but have said that they could imagine themselves working with someone else if the opportunity would appear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    What if Guillermo del Toro didn't have the chance to hire Elfman and we could have end up with a Marco Beltrami Hellboy 2 score...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What if JJ Abrams didn't hire Giacchino for Lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

You´d have more free time wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Think about Hitchcock with Torn Curtain
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    Think about Hitchcock with Torn Curtain

I really liked the score he went with. They were both great though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Disaster.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

You´d have more free time wink

Zing! biggrin

You never know D, Sean Callery could have got it. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Disaster.

Nah! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Disaster.

Nah! tongue

Perhaps not a disaster, though Giacchino's score is a very important part of the appeal of Lost. I've been watching series 3 of Heroes and I can't help but think it deserves a much much better score/s. It's stock TV scoring and not a fraction as well thought out as Giacchino's music for Lost. Actually, it's distracting and very annoying. slant (Good show, but not as good as everyone makes it out to be.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It'd be a completely different thing. Overall.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another one is Chinatown with Lambro/Goldsmith
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    It'd be a completely different thing. Overall.

Or as Mrs. Hawking would say - "You go to the island, you push the button, you write the music for Lost....because if you don't do that Mr. Giacchino; we're all dead!".
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    elenewton wrote
    What if Guillermo del Toro didn't have the chance to hire Elfman and we could have end up with a Marco Beltrami Hellboy 2 score...

Ghaaaa... you had to bring up that sore issue first thing... sigh. If only we could've had a proper Beltrami Hellboy score for the sequel...

What if James Horner had never gotten together with Don Bluth? We never would've had An American Trail, The Land Before Time, and probably most of his other animated films works. But better yet, what if he had stuck with him instead of quitting animations after Balto? We could've ended up with a Horner score for Anastasia....
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me