• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    That's why I chose my words carefully and said "I think" and "perhaps". My brain just tells me that Wall-E is a "better" score, but my heart tells me I prefer Bolt. Music sure is abstract!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008 edited
    Well, i think there's a prevailing thingy all over film music fans' heads during the last 10 years that everything Thomas Newman produces is better than most; not too sure that's the case anymore; at least not with "Everything" he produces.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    From what I've heard so far, my favourite scores of the year are Kung Fu Panda, Horton, Defiance and Bolt. Not much sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've enjoyed quite a lot from this year actually. I think people easily forget what has been released since January 1st to now. I know I do. (And not necessarily because the scores themselves have been forgettable. Just that I am.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me too, i don't think 2008 is worst than any other previous year from 2000 onwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot of scores this year too. But I can't find myself returning to many, they were nice but not "outstanding". But then again there are a lot of scores this year I haven't listened to. Who knows... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, what are the kinds u usually return to, besides LION KING? wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Check favourite year-wise score list in my user info wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot of scores this year too. But I can't find myself returning to many, they were nice but not "outstanding". But then again there are a lot of scores this year I haven't listened to. Who knows... wink

Well there you go then. I've heard, in relative terms, a fair few scores from this year, and I'm not disappointed... and there's still much I haven't heard or even given my full attention to. Powell's not the only composer of 2008 remember. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I liked Quantum Of Solace, Dark Knight and The Happening also, but don't play them that often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Check out Afrika to hear 2008's most memorable theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Will do for sure, thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed; why not open your ears to more stuff out there? There's surely lots of good music to be appreciated as well as Powell and the lot; Desplat for once, and the gorgeously pleasant and uplifting score from PHILIPPE ROMBI on BIENVENUE CHEZ LES CH'TIS come to mind now.

As well as Pino Donaggio's OORLOGSWINTER, Carter Burwell's BURN AFTER READING and IN BRUGES, Jablonsky's GEARS OF WAR and the amazing Age of Conan_Hyborian Adventures by Knut Avenstroup Haugen, Paul Cantelon's THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL and ADRIAN JOHNSTON'S beautiful BRIDESHEAD REVISITED, Stargate Continuum from Joel Goldsmith, the new WORLD OF WARCRAFT score which is EPIC, Roque Banos' the oxford murders, CEZARY SKUBISZEWSKI's NIGHT, Defiance and THE HAPPENING, Preisner's ANONYMA, HISAISHI's Ponyo, Horner's the boy in the stripped pyjamas, KANTELINEN's ARN and MONGOL, and there's a lot i am forgetting for sure PLUS there's a lot more upcoming 'till Xmas.

How many of these have most people heard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by Desplat is a recent 2008 personal favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks, D! beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    ...I want the complete Bolt score!!!

As do I! But it's Disney. I think the best we could possibly get is an expanded academy promo... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Or a b**t tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Right, here's the list of nominations for the latest Grammy awards -

Category 81

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
    (Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

* Cadillac Records
    (Various Artists)
    [Music World Music/Columbia]

* Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds
    (Various Artists)
    [A Band Apart/Warner Bros.]

* Slumdog Millionaire
    (Various Artists)
    [N.E.E.T./Interscope Records]

* True Blood
    (Various Artists)
    [Elektra]

* Twilight
    (Various Artists)
    [Summit Ent./Chop Shop/Atlantic]

Category 82

Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
    (Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)

* The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (Disc 1)
    Alexandre Desplat, composer
    [Concord Records]

* Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
    Nicholas Hooper, composer
    [New Line Records]

* Milk
    Danny Elfman, composer
    [Decca]

* Star Trek
    Michael Giacchino, composer
    [Varèse Sarabande]

* Up
    Michael Giacchino, composer
    [Walt Disney Records]

Category 83

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
    (A Songwriter(s) award. For a song (melody & lyrics) written specifically for a motion picture, television or other visual media, and released for the first time during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)

* The Climb (From Hannah Montana: The Movie)
    Jessi Alexander & Jon Mabe, songwriters (Miley Cyrus)
    [Walt Disney Records; Publishers: Vistaville Music, Hopeless Rose Music, Music Of Stage Three, Mabe It Big Music.]

* Decode (From Twilight)
    Josh Farro, Hayley Williams & Taylor York, songwriters (Paramore)
    [Summit Ent./Chop Shop/Atlantic; Publishers: WB Music Corp/But Father, I Just Want To Sing Music/Josh's Music/FBR Music, Meaux Hits/Hunterboro Music, Rimutaka Music.]

* Jai Ho (From Slumdog Millionaire)
    Gulzar, A.R. Rahman & Tanvi Shah, songwriters (A.R. Rahman, Sukhvinder Singh, Tanvi Shah, Mahalaxmi Iyer & Vijay Prakash)
    [N.E.E.T./Interscope Records; Publisher: KM Musiq.]

* Once In A Lifetime (From Cadillac Records)
    Ian Dench, James Dring, Amanda Ghost, Beyoncé Knowles, Scott McFarnon & Jody Street, songwriters (Beyoncé)
    [Music World Music/Columbia; Publishers: B-Day Publishing/EMI April Music, Amanda Ghost Bucks Music Group Ltd./EMI Blackwood, Red Ink Music Ltd., Ian Dench Music/Songs of Kobalt Music, Chrysalis Music.]

* The Wrestler (From The Wrestler)
    Bruce Springsteen, songwriter (Bruce Springsteen)
    [Columbia; Publisher: Bruce Springsteen.]

Category 84

Best Instrumental Composition
    (A Composer's Award for an original composition (not an adaptation) first released during the Eligibility Year. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Borat In Syracuse
    Paquito D'Rivera, composer (Paquito D'Rivera Quintet)
    Track from: Jazz-Clazz
    [Timba Records]

* Counting To Infinity
    Tim Davies, composer (Tim Davies Big Band)
    Track from: Dialmentia
    [Origin Records]

* Fluffy
    Bob Florence, composer (Bob Florence Limited Edition)
    Track from: Legendary
    [MAMA Records]

* Ice-Nine
    Steve Wiest, composer (University Of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band)
    Track from: Lab 2009
    [North Texas Jazz]

* Married Life (From Up)
    Michael Giacchino, composer (Michael Giacchino)
    Track from: Up — Soundtrack
    [Walt Disney Records]

Category 85

Best Instrumental Arrangement
    (An Arranger's Award. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)

* Emmanuel
    Jeremy Lubbock, arranger (Chris Botti & Lucia Micarelli)
    Track from: In Boston
    [Columbia]

* Hope
    Vince Mendoza, arranger (Jim Beard With Vince Mendoza & The Metropole Orchestra)
    Track from: Revolutions
    [Sunny Side Records]

* Slings And Arrows
    Vince Mendoza, arranger (Chuck Owen & The Jazz Surge)
    Track from: The Comet's Tail: Performing The Compositions Of Michael Brecker
    [MAMA Records]

* Up With End Credits (From Up)
    Michael Giacchino, arranger (Michael Giacchino)
    Track from: Up — Soundtrack
    [Walt Disney Records]

* West Side Story Medley
    Bill Cunliffe, arranger (Resonance Big Band)
    Track from: Resonance Big Band Plays Tribute To Oscar Peterson
    [Resonance Records]

Giacchino sure is getting the recognition he deserves! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    I love the award's season!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Interestingly, the Grammy nominations doesn't seem to be bothered about the fact that Up was only a digital release...

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why would they? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Brian Easdale won an Oscar for his score to the 1948 film The Red Shoes and the score has never been released.

Can anyone think of any other nominated scores that never had a release?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Well the studios usually send fat promo CDs to the awards' judges, so I guess they don't care how it's available to the public (and the sh|tty MP3-only release does count as "soundtrack album").
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moviescore wrote
    Interestingly, the Grammy nominations doesn't seem to be bothered about the fact that Up was only a digital release...

mc

There was a FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION CD produced.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    Grammy Nominations announced

The announcement regarding the nominations for the 53rd Grammy Awards was made earlier today. The following is a list of the nominees in the relevant music categories.

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or other Visual Media:

Crazy Heart - New West Records
    Glee: The Music, Volume 1 - Columbia Records
    Treme - Geffen True Blood – Volume 2 - Elektra The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Summit Ent/Chop Shop/Atlantic

Best Score Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or other Visual Media:

Alice in Wonderland (Danny Elfman) – Walt Disney Records
    Avatar (James Horner) – Fox Music/Atlantic Records
    Inception Hans Zimmer) – Reprise/Water Tower Music
    Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer) – Water Tower Music
    Toy Story 3 (Randy Newman) – Walt Disney Records

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media:

-Down In New Orleans (From The Princess And The Frog) – Randy Newman, songwriter (Dr. John)
    -I See You (From Avatar) – Simon Franglen, Kuk Harrell & James Horner, songwriters (Leona Lewis)
    -Kiss Like Your Kiss (From True Blood – Lucinda Williams, songwriter (Lucinda Williams & Elvis Costello)
    -This City (From Tremé) – Steve Earle, songwriter (Steve Earle)
    -The Weary Kind (From Crazy Heart) – Ryan Bingham & T Bone Burnett, songwriters (Ryan Bingham)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010 edited
    Shouldn't that category read:

"Best Score Soundtrack for Motion Picture that finished in the top 3 grossing films in 2010, top grossing film of 2009 and Sherlock Holmes (finished 8 in top grossing films of 2009)"?

Did they actually see anything outside their local multiplex?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Awesome; this is one last chance for Avatar to sweep.