• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    Thanks! I didn't know that. (haven't been to any classical concert so far...) He looks very busy on the stage. biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Demetris will know better, but I think it was the tradition of piano concerto performances back in 18th Century.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    It's a bit late, because in Japan Dec. 6 is already yesterday... but anyway,

birthday Hisaishi san!

Thank you for all your fantastic works. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    birthday Joe Hisaishi!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Miya wrote
    Hisaishi's Ghibli music concert @ Budokan, August 2008

FYI, the concert will be aired again on Japanese satellite channels.

December 28, 2008 (17:30-19:43) on NHK-BS hi-vision
    January 2, 2009 (15:55-17:38) on NHK-BS2

I don't have TV in my flat, but I'll ask my aunt to record it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Here is an interesting review, by someone who attended the Ghibli concert.
    Photos and the tracklist of the concert included. smile

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=226

Miya, do you think this concert will get a DVD/CD presentation in the future?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Thanks for the link to the review of the concert.

The CD for the French film Sunny et l'Éléphant is out. A few samples here:

http://www.cristalrecords.com/index.php … mp;id=456#
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    SOUND CLIPS from another Joe Hisaishi score released in 2008, SUNNY ET L'ELEPHANT (CD)

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=11041

Man is he busy or not!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Here's my review of PONYO ON THE CLIFF:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/ponyocd.htm

It really is very, very good indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009
    ^ Gonna check it out, Jon. Thanks for the review!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Here's (I think) the NHK-BS feature on the concert:

Part I: here
    features Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Mononoke Hime (That Ta Ta Ri Gami cue rocks punk ), and Kiki's Delivery Service

Part II: here
    features Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea

Part III: here
    features Laputa: The Castle in the Sky (I so love Kimi Wo Nosete (Carrying You) song here), Porco Rosso, and Howl's Moving Castle

Part IV: here
    features Spirited Away (I think the songs were taken from the Image Album) and Tonari no Totoro

Anyway, enjoy! cool

EDIT: I also found the video for the NHK-BS2 version (1 hr 43 min), but I don't think I can post the direct link here. PM me if you want the link (it's a large file though ~1 GB).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009 edited
    There were two versions of the NHK features.

The shorter one (54 min.) was re-aired on November 8, 2008 on NHK main channel (terrestrial), and the longer one (103 min.) was re-aired on satellite channels (December 28, 2008 on NHK-BS-hi & January 2, 2009 on NHK-BS2).

I saw the last 1/3 on BS2 when I was at my parents' home (where TV is alive but VHS recorder is dead tongue ), so I missed Mononoke! crazy But my uncle recorded it on DVD (if he didn't forget the promise wink ). Not sure when I can receive it, though.
  4. Miya wrote

The shorter one (54 min.)

Yes, I think that is what's in the Dailymotion links above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009 edited
    Joe Hisaishi appeared a morning TV show and performed live! smile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h14l2cXa7dA

He played:

Oriental Wind (non-film music)

Theme from Departures (Okuribito)
    (Oscar-winning movie. They said it's originally played by cello in the score. I want to see/hear it!)

Theme from Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea
    (They showed his first sketch, which he came up with at one of the early meetings with the director & producer)

Improvised "antenatal training" (!?) music for the pregnant announcer spin

Theme from I'd Rather Be A Shellfish (Watashi wa kai ni naritai)

... in the YouTube comment section, it seems someone posted an "anti-Hisaishi" comment (anyone can write such simple tunes, his piano performance is bad, blah blah blah), and he/she received lots of "pro-Hisaishi" comments... then the poster deleted his/her comment rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009 edited
    I have heard Joe Hisaishi most famous scores these days. Spirited Away, Mononoke Princess and Arion.

Spirited away : I consider Spirited Away the best of the bunch. Thematically very rich, devoloping the main theme with diferent arrengements, with a very epic powefull moments and with pretty impressive orchestrations wich gives color to this score.

Mononoke Princess Score: I prefer this one over the symphoni, because it has some original use of synth and vocals in tracks like "world of death"."mononoke hime" theme is simply beatiful

Arion Symphoni : I love this Flesh and Blood Sound, and his feeling of Roman movie, But the themes are not so memorable.

Howl's moving castle : I only heard this one in the movie, but it seems a second division Mononoke Princess.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    Howl's moving castle : I only heard this one in the movie, but it seems a second division Mononoke Princess.

Uh, it's not. It's a more lighter and less reverential score than Mononoke-Hime -- totally different scores.

If you want to compare Hisaishi scores Spirited Away and Howl are better choices. But my new favorite is Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea -- just catchy and light.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Matt C wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Uh, it's not. It's a more lighter and less reverential score than Mononoke-Hime -- totally different scores.

If you want to compare Hisaishi scores Spirited Away and Howl are better choices. But my new favorite is Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea -- just catchy and light.

My bad, I meant Howl's and Spirited away shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    I have heard Joe Hisaishi most famous scores these days. Spirited Away, Mononoke Princess and Arion.

Spirited away : I consider Spirited Away the best of the bunch. Thematically very rich, devoloping the main theme with diferent arrengements, with a very epic powefull moments and with pretty impressive orchestrations wich gives color to this score.

Mononoke Princess Score: I prefer this one over the symphoni, because it has some original use of synth and vocals in tracks like "world of death"."mononoke hime" theme is simply beatiful

Arion Symphoni : I love this Flesh and Blood Sound, and his feeling of Roman movie, But the themes are not so memorable.

Wow I didn't know about Arion! dizzy It seems it's an out-of-print soundtrack(s) from non-Ghibli anime film. I'll check it out if I have a chance.

If you like Hisaishi's use of synth, try My Neighbour Totoro. There is a great piece of synth music The Path Of Wind cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited
    The last summer's huge Ghibli concert will be released on DVD (probably Region 2) and BLU-RAY! punk

The release date is July 3rd.
    http://wdshe.jp/ghibli/special/lineup2009/hisaishi.jsp (you can watch a trailer here)
    http://wdshe.jp/ghibli/product/index.jsp?cid=928

In addition to the NHK's 103 min. version, the official releases include MADNESS (from Porco Rosso) as an encore, and "Making Of" video.

I REALLY want it, and a BLU-RAY player! someday... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    WOW! I'm so getting this! Hope they do international shipping...

Didn't know Madness was performed there too. The only encore I saw on those YouTube videos was Ashitaka and San. Fantastic piece by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    This is interesting- Hisaishi and Rahman!

AR Rahman... has now tied up with Japanese music composer Joe Hisaishi for the music of their forthcoming Indo-Japanese venture.
    Our source said, “Rahman, Bharat Bala (director) and some people from Disney (who are producing the film) met Joe Hisaishi in Tokyo on April 6 to discuss the film. Apart from Kamal Haasan and Asin, the film also stars the Japanese actor Tadanobo Asano (Mongol, Wind Up Type, Last Life In The Universe) in a film which will trace the origin of the martial art in India.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/ … score.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wake me up when it's Rahman and Sanlantaolaallalala
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    This is interesting- Hisaishi and Rahman!

AR Rahman... has now tied up with Japanese music composer Joe Hisaishi for the music of their forthcoming Indo-Japanese venture.
    Our source said, “Rahman, Bharat Bala (director) and some people from Disney (who are producing the film) met Joe Hisaishi in Tokyo on April 6 to discuss the film. Apart from Kamal Haasan and Asin, the film also stars the Japanese actor Tadanobo Asano (Mongol, Wind Up Type, Last Life In The Universe) in a film which will trace the origin of the martial art in India.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/ … score.html

Interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Hisaishi and Rahman? Interesting. Very interesting. I never saw this one coming! Should be a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed, two giants outside Hollywood that nonetheless have succeeded in international - and even Hollywood - productions. Is it fair to call them the greatest living film composers of their respective countries? I think so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or of all time? I think so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of all time of the entire world? Yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

D dripping with sark today biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

Sure!