• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Here, hear.

Hisaishi here.

the rest

Rahman about here.

the rest

the rest

paul haslinger
    ramin djawadi
    tyler bates
    zanelli dude

a yamaha 80's drum machine
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Rahman and Hisaishi, that would have been cool - the two biggest composers of India and Japan, respectively.

I would say the biggest name composer from Japan is Ryuichi Sakamoto.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Rahman and Hisaishi, that would have been cool - the two biggest composers of India and Japan, respectively.

Ah, such class. You've inspired me on what play next, the last emperor! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Maybe, but he hasn't really done that much in recent years. As of right now, it seems like Hisaishi is the hottest composer from Japan primarily working in film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Maybe, but he hasn't really done that much in recent years. As of right now, it seems like Hisaishi is the hottest composer from Japan primarily working in film.

I would say Sakamoto is a composer who occasionally works in films, he's always had various projects on the go.

I like Hisaishi's music but Sakamoto is tops IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited
    I listened to "A Cloud Upon A Slope" yesterday and the score is absolutely fantastic, as mentioned before here. Great orchestrations, powerful music and packed with emotion. Classic Hisaishi! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    I listened to "A Cloud Upon A Slope" yesterday and the score is absolutely fantastic, as mentioned before here. Great orchestrations, powerful music and packed with emotion. Classic Hisaishi! smile

I have never heard a Hisaishi score that it was not like that, imo! smile He's such a man of class!
  1. Christodoulides wrote

tyler bates
    zanelli dude

a yamaha 80's drum machine[/small]

wow, Bates is on the rise, second to last punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Zanelli is worse than Djawadi? I beg to differ...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. yahama 80's drum machine is worse than Djawadi? I beg to differ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    You beg too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    JOE HISAISHI - Saka No Ue No Kumo (a.k.a. A Cloud On The Slope) (2009)

Not piano driven, as per Hisaishi's usual standard, but a lively colorful mix of eastern melodies with the western harmony in an uplifting and lush orchestral fairytale. His arrangements and the way he utilizes instrumentation are easily ahead of the vast majority of composers working out there today, up to an impressive degree. However, bear in mind that stylistically it's not for everyone, as it's sound more like an elegant and complex ballet work than anything we've used to listen to under the film scores ' tag. However, the orchestral (12 - Stand Alone For Orchestra) and piano version (last cue on the cd) of the opening song, are worth of the release alone. Such brilliance and beauty!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Has he ever composed a bad score? Everything I've heard from him is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    Has he ever composed a bad score? Everything I've heard from him is good.

beer
  4. I've written over 20 reviews of Hisaishi's music. The rate was never under 3/5.
    MuzykaFilmowa.pl
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's such a brilliant composer, he truly has very colorful and lively style, all lush and melodic; i can't think of anyone else who writes as complex, concert-like but always beautiful film music like him these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    I'm listening to Hisaishi's monthly radio show again... I sent a mail to the show...

He read it!
    punk bhangra fireworks

It made my day.
    I'm happy.

biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's really cool, congrats! beer

What did you write? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    After usual greeting (I am your fan and film music lover I enjoyed your last show blah blah biggrin ), I asked a little question - How often do you meet other film composers (from other countries or not)? Do you talk about working on films with colleagues?
    (Because he talked about Rahman last month)

He said, not so often, because a composer does his work alone, but sometimes when he meet other composers, he have a good time with them because they can understand each other.

He also said Alexander from France is a good friend (he didn't say the family name... maybe Desplat? Or?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Definitely Desplat smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    I'm listening to Hisaishi's monthly radio show again... I sent a mail to the show...

He read it!
    punk bhangra fireworks

It made my day.
    I'm happy.

biggrin

cool beer
  5. I'm resurrecting this thread to sing the praises of Hisaishi's score to Departures. A lovely, cello-driven score for an already beautiful movie.

Hisaishi had caught my ear in the past with his work for Hayao Miyazaki (Hisaishi = John Williams, Miyazaki = Steven Spielberg?). Specifically, the scores for Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke impressed me greatly. But after a long hiatus, Departures was a welcome reminder of this man's talents. Bravo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2010
    I love Departures too, beautiful score and movie. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Joe Hisaishi wrote a score for a new game called Ninokuni, animation produced by Studio Ghibli.

I don't play games and it just looks like a stereotyped Ghibli movie + Pokemon dizzy
    but music in these videos below sounds great (and sounds very Hisaishi as usual biggrin )

Nintendo DS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShijIds5Nk

PS3 version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsJpRpn4Pg

Soundtrack release: 2011/2/2 punk
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004D6PYYY
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thank you Miya!

From what I heard this should be another treat from Joe Hisaishi. Like he always does wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE who claims to like Hisaishi's music needs to get his score for the video game 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士, otherwise known as Ni No Kuni - Shikkoku no Madoshi (Miya already recommended it above). GREAT main theme, and some wonderful action music.

As somewhat of an overview of Hisaishi's styles serves 坂の上の雲, A Cloud over the Slope, Vol. 2. Whereas the first volume features some rather dissonant and dark music, this one is a delight for all its generous 75 minutes. From gorgeous string writing to Hisaishi's knack for beautiful woodwinds, this one is a winner all around.

Really, these two come with the highest recommendation from the likes of me. wink

Christian
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Ni No Kuni is a wonderful score. I loved A Cloud Over The Slope too - there were some great orchestral cues in there as well. Looking forward to getting Vol. 2. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    On his Facebook:
    Great announcement: Joe Hisaishi will be in Paris in June for an unique concert!! More information very soon!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm resurrecting this thread to sing the praises of Hisaishi's score to Departures. A lovely, cello-driven score for an already beautiful movie.

I'm not usually impressed by Hisaishi, but this one really impressed me.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    On his Facebook:
    Great announcement: Joe Hisaishi will be in Paris in June for an unique concert!! More information very soon!

For me to attend at a Joe Hisaishi concert will be a dream come true, but I can't go this year sad.