• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    Yeah
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    Glad everyone's in agreement then! bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    I hope they give the score a proper release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    Hello everyone. I've just recently started on a project that I've wanted to get going for the last year or so, and I've finally found some time to start working on it. There really isn't a good website out there for information on Joe Hisaishi. Fan sites don't really seem to exist and I find the official site to be fairly clunky. Therefore, I've taken it upon myself to try to create a site that will host the latest news about Hisiaishi as well as be a place for people to go to look for general information about the man and his music.

Before I get too far with the design, I would like to ask your opinions about how it's going so far. I only have the main page started so far, but the other pages will be fairly similar, minus the "Follow us" bar on the right. When it's completed, I plan to set up a twitter and facebook page (and possibly another social media) for people stay informed.

Let me know what you think, and please don't leave suggestions to yourself!

And just as a warning, this is the first time I'm creating a website without the aid of a design program. I'm purely writing it by hand, so it's very much a learning process for me and as such, I don't plan to be done soon, but suggestions in this early stage will help me later down the road.

Test Home Page

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    It'll be great, David! beer

It's great that Hisaishi is getting a English fansite. There is several Japanese fansites (quite informative) and a french fansite (unreadable wink), but English can attract much more people smile

I know nothing about technical stuff, but I really like the design. Simple but beautiful.
    I'm looking forward to your site getting launched.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    Adventure of Dreams - Hisashi wrote a new piece for a Cup Noodle commercial biggrin

http://www.cupnoodle.jp/index.html
    (click the "CM" section and watch the video on the left. - the other one is NOT by Hisaishi)

Typical epic Hisaishi sound! Love it biggrin
  1. I'm thinking of doing a Hisaishi update
    his music deserves it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    Yes please! punk
  2. Miya wrote
    Yes please! punk

because you ask it so nicely wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's great! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nice logo there David.

The menu isn't displaying right in Firefox. The 'Contact Us' button jumps the whole time.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    Adventure of Dreams - Hisashi wrote a new piece for a Cup Noodle commercial biggrin

http://www.cupnoodle.jp/index.html
    (click the "CM" section and watch the video on the left. - the other one is NOT by Hisaishi)

Typical epic Hisaishi sound! Love it biggrin

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    Nice logo there David.

The menu isn't displaying right in Firefox. The 'Contact Us' button jumps the whole time.

Hmm... what exactly do you mean it jumps? I just tested it in Firefox on both a Mac and PC, but it everything seems normal.

Here's an updated page. Does it still do it on this page? (I'm still trying to figure out why the numbered list displays as all 0s in Firefox. They appear as normal numbers in Safari.)

Test Album Page
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    The Contact Us button jumps from left to right each time I hover over a menu item. smile

Concerning the numbers. It's incorrect HTML. <li> </li> is an item in your list, but you have no tag that say it is a list. Around all these <li>'s should be a <ul> (unordered list) or <ol> (ordered list)

You should have something like

<ol>
    <li>Track 1</li>
    <li>Track 2</li>
    <li>...</li>
    </ol>

I hope that helps. smile
    Kazoo
  3. for you all you people who don't know Hisaishi, I command you to read my reviews. Not because I write good reviews, but because I reviewed good music

- Four Gods
    - Laputa
    - Le Petit Poucet
    - Princess Mononoke
    - Spirited Away

Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Super cool! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    Great! I'm gonna read them now. smile
  4. Has anybody seen Okuribito (Departures)? I'm going to see it this weekend. smile

Mr. Hisaishi has once again composed a very beautiful theme, which is also presented in the trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/departures/.

Japanese version: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8qdew_departures-trailer_shortfilms
  5. Miya wrote
    Great! I'm gonna read them now. smile

I hope they are more to your satisfaction than the review of Lilo & Stitch wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited
    I liked your reviews a lot! smile I really want to hear Four Gods now.

But let me say one thing... wink

(from Laputa review) It feels like this is the only version I need, ...

NO! tongue I felt the symphonic suite album is much weaker than the original score. It's still good because the composition itself is great, but the performance is slow-paced and badly recorded. It lacks the energy the original had... I also think some themes are better with synthesizers. "Mining Town" theme is more energetic when performed by orchestra with fun synth sound. cool (Unfortunately this theme doesn't appear long enough in the soundtrack)

And some action adventure cues are missing from the suite album. The robot soldier theme and the rescue scene with the "flappter" theme are awesome punk
  6. Miya wrote
    I liked your reviews a lot! smile I really want to hear Four Gods now.

But let me say one thing... wink

(from Laputa review) It feels like this is the only version I need, ...

NO! tongue I felt the symphonic suite album is much weaker than the original score. It's still good because the composition itself is great, but the performance is slow-paced and badly recorded. It lacks the energy the original had... I also think some themes are better with synthesizers. "Mining Town" theme is more energetic when performed by orchestra with fun synth sound. cool (Unfortunately this theme doesn't appear long enough in the soundtrack)

And some action adventure cues are missing from the suite album. The robot soldier theme and the rescue scene with the "flappter" theme are awesome punk

haha Miya, knew you would respond to the Hisaishi reviews
    Well indeed, I base my opinion on the sole fact this is the orchestral performance, I know synthesised music can have its charm as well. Anyway, I still write I Feel wink

But glad you liked them
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    I'd take ANY of the orchestral suites of Hisaishi over any of the synthesized original crap any day. Princess Mononoke symphonic suite is simply brilliant for example, whilst the original is unbearable from what i remember (heard it once).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thinking of which, i think it also comes down to musical differences in tastes amidst cultures; i always thought those synth-heavy "typical japanese" scores (games or not) always echoe to people from the relative countries, whilst more western oriented ears are instantly captivated by any orchestral arrangements of the former; whilst the first team of works sounds like "typical japanese scores" to me, the 2nd team sounds brilliant in most of the cases.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd take ANY of the orchestral suites of Hisaishi over any of the synthesized original crap any day. Princess Mononoke symphonic suite is simply brilliant for example, whilst the original is unbearable from what i remember (heard it once).

The original score is lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    Four Gods is a really awesome score, which I listened to recently. Lovely ethnic vocals and racing strings in the action cues!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Well indeed, I base my opinion on the sole fact this is the orchestral performance, I know synthesised music can have its charm as well. Anyway, I still write I Feel wink

I thought you haven't heard the original. Sorry shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thinking of which, i think it also comes down to musical differences in tastes amidst cultures; i always thought those synth-heavy "typical japanese" scores (games or not) always echoe to people from the relative countries, whilst more western oriented ears are instantly captivated by any orchestral arrangements of the former; whilst the first team of works sounds like "typical japanese scores" to me, the 2nd team sounds brilliant in most of the cases.

Indeed Hisaishi's early scores (Nausicaa and Laputa) has that kind of "typical synth sound of Japanese anime/games". And it's true that I'm accustomed to those sounds, even if I know many of them sound cheap... but I believe it's not because I have Eastern origin, but just because I watched many anime shows when I was little. wink Maybe people from western countries who are used to Japanese anime or game music have similar taste? (Heero is in my mind but he's not around here lately sad )

As for Mononoke original score, I think it's mostly orchestral? It has some synth as usual but not as much as the older Hisaishi scores. But I must admit that I also haven't played the original lately except some favorite tracks, just because too many short tracks aren't pleasant for listening experience... dizzy
  7. Miya wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I thought you haven't heard the original. Sorry shame

I haven't, meaning I base my opinion on the sole fact orchestral will be better than synthesised
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Updated the design. If you have any feedback at all, it would be appreciated!

Please let me know of any problems you experience with your browser (not including link problems) -- I'm still relatively new to web design, so there are bound to be mistakes.

http://djbond.iweb.bsu.edu/hisaishi/home.html
    http://djbond.iweb.bsu.edu/hisaishi/disc.html
    http://djbond.iweb.bsu.edu/hisaishi/cds/ponyo_ost.html
    http://djbond.iweb.bsu.edu/hisaishi/cds/okuribito.html