• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thanks for caring enough to link me to Polish article! Kudos for that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    ChrK wrote
    smile At least it gave me a valid reason to finally brush up on my Japanese.

Hiragana = no problem.
    Katakana = working on it.
    Kanji: HELP!

クリスチャン

There must be a good canadian man in Calgary to help you with your language skills, no? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    BhelPuri wrote
    ChrK wrote
    What, トトロ? Totoro. smile

Ah, nice! It kind of looks like 2 people going after a shopping cart.

lol

This is actually the kanji meaning "human".

It looks like that, isn't it? smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    So, you and me are tipi's?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    lol, yes we are biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQTqEJvqEI

THIS IS TOO HORRIBLE! I just hope they won't use it in Ponyo's end credit.
    vomit vomit vomit

This must be a revenge to the mediocre Japanese song which replaced Miley Cyrus song on BOLT... rolleyes I hate distributors who don't leave foreign movies as they are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I will be listening to Ponyo again today. Really lovely score, one of the best from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    I will be listening to Ponyo again today. Really lovely score, one of the best from last year.

I think it's overrated. I'd take his Sunny et l'éléphant and parts of I Want to Be a Shellfish over it anytime smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Oh yes, Sunny is fantastic too. Haven't heard Shellfish yet though.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009
    Miya wrote
    Panthera wrote
    I feel like I read somewhere that Hisaishi wasn't happy with his main theme for Ponyo. This was a long time ago and maybe he changed it. Does anybody know if I completely imagined this?

mmm, at least, I haven't heard such a statement. I didn't read all of his interviews though.

When looking for Ponyo music reviews, I accidentally found the place where I had read that.

"Hisaishi himself said that he felt quite “embarrassed” because of the plain simplicity of Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on the Cliff), the song that will close the film and that was immediately approved by Miyazaki.

http://www.ghibliworld.com/ponyo_image_ … eview.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote
    Panthera wrote
    I feel like I read somewhere that Hisaishi wasn't happy with his main theme for Ponyo. This was a long time ago and maybe he changed it. Does anybody know if I completely imagined this?

mmm, at least, I haven't heard such a statement. I didn't read all of his interviews though.

When looking for Ponyo music reviews, I accidentally found the place where I had read that.

"Hisaishi himself said that he felt quite “embarrassed” because of the plain simplicity of Gake no ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on the Cliff), the song that will close the film and that was immediately approved by Miyazaki.

I'd certainly agree with Hisaishi on that matter. It's a silly kiddie song in TELETUBBIES-mode, and really at odds with the tone of the rest of the film. That song, and the Wagner pun, were my two main negative points with the score, which was otherwise fine (as usual).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Ponyo is, for my money, one of the best scores of the past five years. A multitude of themes, colourful orchestration, and it works pitch perfect in the film, as expected.

And "Gake no ue no Ponyo" sounds absolutely fantastic during the 2008 Budokan concert. But I guess adding a 200-piece orchestra and 600 singers played a role in it. cheesy

And I didn't like that review/appraisal of Ponyo linked above. Basically, all the reviewer is doing is comparing everything in Ponyo to stuff in the earlier Miyazaki-Hisaishi collaborations... Bad form.

CK
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    I really enjoyed the score when I saw the film in theaters. I have not heard it on its own. I even enjoyed the song at the end for the credits. It was catchy and reminded me of Totoro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote

I don't know what he said in Japanese, but maybe it's a Japanese way of modesty wink I guess he felt "embarassed" because that theme is so simple and he didn't take long to compose it. He said he came up with the first melody at the very first meeting, but at first he wasn't sure it's appropriate for main theme, because it's too simple. But he decided to use it after he experimented some complex compositions.

Thor wrote
    I'd certainly agree with Hisaishi on that matter. It's a silly kiddie song in TELETUBBIES-mode, and really at odds with the tone of the rest of the film. That song, and the Wagner pun, were my two main negative points with the score, which was otherwise fine (as usual).

Miyazaki wanted this movie to be a happy fun cartoon for little children than an epic story, so he wanted a simple, catchy song at the very first time. So the song was overly used in trailers and promotions for a long time before the release date (while American trailers were too "epic"), I can't think of Ponyo without that song! biggrin

Though I enjoyed Wagner pun I can see this kind of parody is not appreciated by everyone.

I thought the operatic song at the main title sequence doesn't fit the tone of the film, instead...

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/ … _sound.htm
    btw, I read those stories here; it's all about the process of Ponyo's music from the first meeting to the final recording. It's really interesting, I wish I could have enough skill to translate this column... sad
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    Miya wrote
    I don't know what he said in Japanese, but maybe it's a Japanese way of modesty wink I guess he felt "embarassed" because that theme is so simple and he didn't take long to compose it.

I think you're right about that. When I brought this up in the past it had been a long time since I had read it, so my memory was a little mixed up. But now seeing the quote I think it was modesty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    Earlier this summer I started work on an English Joe Hisaishi website. I didn't get the chance to work on it as much as I had wanted, but I recently started back up on it this past week and would like to get some feedback on the new design. When I showed the initial design this summer, it was pretty lacking and I hadn't registered a domain name yet, but I do have a domain name now and the design is much better (in my opinion).

All I have finished so far is the home page. None of the links are working yet, and none of the news items are real. At this point, I'm just looking for some feedback on the design because most of the other pages will follow with a similar look.

Also, if you find any bugs, that would be really helpful. I've tested the site in Firefox, Safari, and Opera, but not in IE (dreading it) -- so hearing from some IE users would be great.

The new homepage

The old homepage

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    Looks great, David! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    David wrote
    Earlier this summer I started work on an English Joe Hisaishi website. I didn't get the chance to work on it as much as I had wanted, but I recently started back up on it this past week and would like to get some feedback on the new design. When I showed the initial design this summer, it was pretty lacking and I hadn't registered a domain name yet, but I do have a domain name now and the design is much better (in my opinion).

All I have finished so far is the home page. None of the links are working yet, and none of the news items are real. At this point, I'm just looking for some feedback on the design because most of the other pages will follow with a similar look.

Also, if you find any bugs, that would be really helpful. I've tested the site in Firefox, Safari, and Opera, but not in IE (dreading it) -- so hearing from some IE users would be great.

The new homepage

The old homepage

Thanks!

Both look great and "simple" (in a good way), but I think I may prefer the new homepage. Something about having most of the front page in more or less one view (without too much scrolling). Is it really necessary to have all the buttons TWICE, though (one in the top bar and then with bigger logos at the bottom)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAD
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    I was first introduced to Hisaishi's music almost 4 years ago now. My friend recommended that I listen to Kikujiro and that's how it all started. I ordered spirited away immediately after I had watched the DVD and then came the rest. I still return to Kikujiro occasionally. I find myself doing that with most composers I like; going back to listen to the first CD I got of their music.

What I really admire about Hisaishi, as well as very few other composers, is that he is very hands on. He composes, conducts, orchestrates, and plays the piano, so when you listen to the final product you know it's 100% done by him.
    I'm really enjoying Ponyo at the moment. The Wagner inspired Track 12 is a gem.
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    And we have two new releases from Hisaishi lately:
    Saka No Ue No Kumo (A Cloud On The Slope)
    Ururu No Mori No Monogatari (The Story of the Ururu Forest)
    I'm looking forward to both of them...
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    What kind of score are they? Like i'd be a shellfish...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Not familiar with Shellfish but "Saka No Ue No Kumo" is easily among the best works of Hisaishi. It comes with Hisaishi's grand, lush and majestic orchestral trademark and has one of the most beautiful and memorable theme songs for a drama show. The theme song is performed beautifully by Sarah Brightman. At certain points she pronounces certain Japanese phrases very British-like (e.g. Watashi => Wo-ta-she?!) which may be a little distracting for some listeners but certainly not for everyone. But overall it's a very solid piece of work and I cannot recommend it enough!

I have "Ururu No Mori No Monogatari" on order but it won't be released until 16th of December I think.
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Exactly like Sylvos said, I can recommend "Saka No Ue No Kumo" as well. I think it's on the same level as "Shellfish" (I have) or... even better smile
    I have "Ururu..." on oder also, when it comes we will see what is like...
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Fantastic, i love these scores, so more the better for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the info and recommendation guys, i forgot about these releases!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009
    I'm just listening to samples at iTunes Store Japan.
    "Saka No Ue No Kumo" sounds great, it seems very Hisaishi-ish grand orchestral score with Japanese traditional flavor. I must add it to the wishlist!
    Brightman's song is beautiful, but it sounds funny to me because of her pronunciation (even though not as funny as Phil Collins trying to sing Brother Bear song in Japanese tongue ). Non-lyrics version is much better.

As for "Ururu" on the other hand, it seems it's more his "Totoro/Ponyo side", childlike playful music.
    Though I love this side of Hisaishi, but I feel it would be like a rehash of Ponyo... the theme sounds like Ponyo theme with some notes reversed...

Actually I'm already sick of the theme song, because I have to hear it in a radio commercial every morning.
    The female singing voice (Hisaishi's grown-up daughter Mai) is very different from the Ponyo's girl, but I can imagine the producers asking Hisaishi for "another catchy song like Ponyo for our kid's movie!" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    Today I was listening to a radio show called "All Night Nippon Sunday" hosted by Hisaishi - actually it's the 4th time he hosted the show, but I couldn't hear the station until recently cry

It was really interesting show, since today's topic was "film music" and he played and talked about a lot of film music.

I'll post about it more in detail later, except only one interesting info for now:

BhelPuri wrote
    This is interesting- Hisaishi and Rahman!

AR Rahman... has now tied up with Japanese music composer Joe Hisaishi for the music of their forthcoming Indo-Japanese venture.
    Our source said, “Rahman, Bharat Bala (director) and some people from Disney (who are producing the film) met Joe Hisaishi in Tokyo on April 6 to discuss the film. Apart from Kamal Haasan and Asin, the film also stars the Japanese actor Tadanobo Asano (Mongol, Wind Up Type, Last Life In The Universe) in a film which will trace the origin of the martial art in India.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/ … score.html

He said the director and Rahman visited his office and, even though they are nice people, he turned down the offer. He thinks it's hard to collaborate on film music because musicians are usually assertive, so he suggested Rahman should do it by himself. He also said he thought they'd come again as Japanese (filmmakers?) do, but they didn't, so he regrets he didn't treat them to a good dinner. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I was looking forward to the Hisaishi-Rahman collaboration... oh well. Thanks for the infos! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    Today I was listening to a radio show called "All Night Nippon Sunday" hosted by Hisaishi - actually it's the 4th time he hosted the show, but I couldn't hear the station until recently cry

It was really interesting show, since today's topic was "film music" and he played and talked about a lot of film music.

I'll post about it more in detail later, except only one interesting info for now:

BhelPuri wrote
    This is interesting- Hisaishi and Rahman!

AR Rahman... has now tied up with Japanese music composer Joe Hisaishi for the music of their forthcoming Indo-Japanese venture.
    Our source said, “Rahman, Bharat Bala (director) and some people from Disney (who are producing the film) met Joe Hisaishi in Tokyo on April 6 to discuss the film. Apart from Kamal Haasan and Asin, the film also stars the Japanese actor Tadanobo Asano (Mongol, Wind Up Type, Last Life In The Universe) in a film which will trace the origin of the martial art in India.”

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/ … score.html

He said the director and Rahman visited his office and, even though they are nice people, he turned down the offer. He thinks it's hard to collaborate on film music because musicians are usually assertive, so he suggested Rahman should do it by himself. He also said he thought they'd come again as Japanese (filmmakers?) do, but they didn't, so he regrets he didn't treat them to a good dinner. biggrin

What a clever and gentle way to put "i don't want to collaborate with Rahman 'cause his music is infinite ages behind mine" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Rahman and Hisaishi, that would have been cool - the two biggest composers of India and Japan, respectively.
    I am extremely serious.