• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017
    i was hooked on lost for life, since episode 1. i watched 1 and a half seasons of the leftovers and quit, never resumed. i was passionate enough to see where it will take us, but nothing ever happened. lacke's lost's tension, twists, flair, passion if you will. plus the combination of the scenery, concept, characters, evil and music on Lost, is unmatched, since.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    he just needs to get better at writing... he's really bad at story logic.

it's that lost virus smile

That's Damon Lindelof's fault more than Abrams', I think.

nobody's fault really...i am in love with lost, it might have been the timing in my life then too, but never again have i been able to be hooked onto and awed by a tv show as much as lost, since.

I used to feel that way, but having watched a few episodes recently, christ is the writing bad. Lost had a great premise, beautiful people and locations, and of course benefited from Giacchino's expansive music, but it wasn't enough to save it from the writers. It was a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Big fan of LOST too, despite the writing flaws.

THE LEFTOVERS is something very different. It's not an adventure show, it's a religioso mystery show. While the thrill was bigger with LOST, the pondering and character development were far stronger in THE LEFTOVERS. And that's to Lindelof's credit. He managed to focus a bit more, perhaps with the help of showrunner Tom Perrotta.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, but please tell me, as i've seen one and a half season and nothing happened, does anything ever happen at the end? like is there a meaning to all the religious depressed and melancholic loonies and psychos? any meaning to their existence like for instance, in the village? does anything happen like ever? i am curious but not courageous again to resume from where i left it. plus i find the leading star very weak in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's sort of a resolution, but it's not FAR removed from "everyone-walks-into-a-white-light"/purgatory-type ending as LOST had. THE LEFTOVERS is also not about things happening on a surface level like LOST, but more psychological, about the "inner journey" that the characters take. If you like that kind of thing (which I do), it's rewarding. But if you want more external action, it's probably not for you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am all in for inner journeys and lost had lot of that too despite the fact that it didn't directly show on the surface, and it was another time in 2004, different world. but yeah, in leftovers, up to where i left the show, i've seen no inner journey for anyone. maybe it all happens in s3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It certainly does.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. So the trailer for The Last Jedi is out.

It looks okay but I can't get around the fact that I'm not hyped at all to watch the film and that the trailer didn't help to win me over. Maybe I'm getting too old to get so excited for a movie after only seeing a poorly put together trailer. And what's with the stock generic music all over again that uses a couple of themes and at the same time manages to make those themes sound weak and out of place. I remember all those years ago how the prequel trilogy used the Williams music to stunning effect. Back then trailers were cool because they were meant to sell the movie and used appropriate music where needed, mostly existing bits of great scores. Nowadays most of them fail to get me excited at all...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. The music is terrible, yes, but poorly put together? I wouldn't say that. And yeah, you can't help becoming more aloof (if that is the right expression) with age. Also there is a bit of Star Wars over-saturation. The inflation devalues every new entry. And there is again the feeling of "been there, done that". The walkers? Some Hoth like battle? That girl being lured by the dark side? We'll see.
    I recently started a little Star Wars martinée. I intended to revisit all 8 films in chronological order but I found that after Rogue One I had to take a major break because it just started to bore me.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I don't really understand the idea of going to the trouble of using Williams' themes, but then putting them through generic modern trailer music orchestrations and conventions. Surely if you want to use those themes, at least bother to try to orchestrate them a bit more like Williams himself? This way even the average filmgoer can tell that it isn't the real thing. And there's so many composers out there who are capable of that sort of Williams imitation. Just seems like a weird set of choices to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't really understand the idea of going to the trouble of using Williams' themes, but then putting them through generic modern trailer music orchestrations and conventions. Surely if you want to use those themes, at least bother to try to orchestrate them a bit more like Williams himself?

Agreed.

I'm reasonably excited about THE LAST JEDI, but don't have the same level of expectations and thrill as I had before THE FORCE AWAKENS two years ago. Natural, I guess, since it's just 2 years rather than 10 years since the last one. Plus, with TFA it was the mystery of seeing the original cast back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    It seems as if Luke is too afraid to train Rey, possibly causing her to turn towards other sources for training: Kylo Ren? Snoke?

"This is not going to go the way you think," is an awkwardly phrased line, but gets the point across. This won't be a retread of EMPIRE.

And what about the use of Jedi Steps? It may be trailer-fied, but at least indicates it will get use in the score.

I'm interested!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    It seems as if Luke is too afraid to train Rey, possibly causing her to turn towards other sources for training: Kylo Ren? Snoke?

I'm interested!

O, interested I am, no question there. The other thing: That seems plausible but could of course also be a false track.
    Again the German title "Die letzten Jedi" refers to all remaining Jedi, not just Rey. I play with the idea, that Luke intends to end the Jedi-Sith dichotomy. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't really understand the idea of going to the trouble of using Williams' themes, but then putting them through generic modern trailer music orchestrations and conventions. Surely if you want to use those themes, at least bother to try to orchestrate them a bit more like Williams himself?

Agreed.

I'm reasonably excited about THE LAST JEDI, but don't have the same level of expectations and thrill as I had before THE FORCE AWAKENS two years ago. Natural, I guess, since it's just 2 years rather than 10 years since the last one. Plus, with TFA it was the mystery of seeing the original cast back.

There's also the fact that The Force Awakens was a bit lame. I'd love this sequel to change that though, even if my hopes and enthusiasm have been thoroughly squashed.
  5. The thrill of a new Star Wars film has diminished after TFA being a bit of a letdown. It has a good first half, but a mediocre second half.

So if I keep my expectations for this low, I could be pleasantly surprised. That's how it works in my head.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited
    Oh, I thought TFA was absolutely brilliant. It came in 3rd on my list that year (out of 143 2015 movies viewed).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Also, and this is something not to do with The Last Jedi per se, but with modern CGI films in general, but they all start to look the same. I mean there is something not going right when they put so much crazy animation in a film that it becomes unrealistic and fake looking. This is something which has bothered me with all the recent superhero films, which I simply cannot stomach anymore. Those visuals and elaborate shots take me out of the film to be honest.

In the time of practical effects, not everything was to be taken for granted or serious, but at least there was real craftsmanship and artistry behind those effects. I still admire the films and the special effects wizards of the 70s, 80s and yes, the 90s (when it started to change) for all the amazing techniques that have mostly disappeared.

Motion controlled starships over their digital versions? HELL YES. Any day of the week.

OT Yoda over PT Yoda? Definitely. The charm is in the puppet's eyes and movements by Frank Oz. Its CGI counterpart is soulless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    TFA was largely practical effects, Gilles. Which is one of the great things about it. A shabby-looking CGI Snoke doesn't take away from that.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Snoke, I don't know who invented that character but it's a ridiculous invention, even in the universe of SW. Devoid of personality, is he supposed to be the bad guy? I couldn't tell.

But I was just saying that I keep being impressed whenever I watch an older film, and most modern films with all their flashy CGI techniques don't impress me at all.

I once saw a making of of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button... That film had extensive digital work done, and most of it is completely invisible. I don't mind those special effects at all.

But it's when they put characters in unrealistic situations because CGI allows them to do that, I can get turned off rather fast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    There's also the fact that The Force Awakens was a bit lame. I'd love this sequel to change that though, even if my hopes and enthusiasm have been thoroughly squashed.

the fact?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    But it's when they put characters in unrealistic situations because CGI allows them to do that, I can get turned off rather fast.

I don't disagree with you. I just think TFA is the wrong film to attack on that ground.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yeah, seriously, throwing shade at TFA for CGI overuse is hardly fair.

Isn't that sort of the entire point of special effects work in the first place?
  9. This wasn't a rant on Star Wars but more the modern blockbuster in general. I thought I put that in my post.

Edmund Meinerts wrote

Isn't that sort of the entire point of special effects work in the first place?

Once again, unrealistic situations, with that I mean, they make character do things which aren't physically possible. In the old days, such situations weren't as omni-present as in like say one of the recent superhero flicks, where the fake looking nature of many scenes, and how characters behave defying the laws of physics is getting on my nerves. That's why I've stopped watching them altogether.

Or to quote the always eloquent Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your directors were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017
    I certainly agree there, Gilles. The Marvel movies are perhaps the main sinner in this area.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. If they take things as far as in Guardians of the Galaxy, where you actually have an animated movie with live actors running around in it, I certainly like it. It has it's own kind of flair.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    If they take things as far as in Guardians of the Galaxy, where you actually have an animated movie with live actor running around in it, I certainly like it. It has it's own kind of flair.

Me too. It was great fun, Marvel really have their shit together ( DC are still playing catch up with nowhere near as much success ) and early word on Thor: Ragnarok indicates it's another winner and it certainly looks fun from the trailers I've seen.

No one has to pay hard earned money to see these films and there is always great critic pleasing films in any and every year. It's easy to pick and choose, I think we live in a great age of film and TV* quality.

*TV in particular has never been better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. I might quit my boycott of comic books adaptation just to watch Ragnarok after it's praised for its absurd sense of humour. But I might just wait for it to appear on HBO.

Glad I've seen BR 2049 though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. I'm a bit wary of Ragnarok trying to piggyback on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. Looks a bit like it's trying to ape that irreverent style.
  13. I understand why you'd worry about that based on the trailers but having watched this first clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geren_FPWEg)I think it feels much more like a Taika Waititi film than a 'Guardians' rip off. Having loved 'What we do in the Shadows' and 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' that's a good thing for me! I found 'Guardians Vol. 2' very disappointing this year after loving the original but I think the new 'Thor' looks like great fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm a bit wary of Ragnarok trying to piggyback on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. Looks a bit like it's trying to ape that irreverent style.

I don't think that's it. I think it's just a Taika Waititi film. I was shocked that they hired him for Thor 3, and pleasantly surprised that they haven't replaced him.

Edit: I now see that John already said this, and better than I did. . .