• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    (filmmaking is so much more than just storytelling, as AVATAR recently proved)

No, films just have different ways to tell a story other than words and dialogue. A pretty picture, a pretty scene, is meaningless unless it adds to the story in some way.

There are thousands of films that rely less on story and more on other things (symbolism, political messages, visceral experience). Heck, there are films that don't really have a story at all. Several French New Wave films, for example, are more about the dismantling of filmmaking altogether. The same type of thing can appear even WITHIN storydriven, mainstream Hollywood films. Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg etc. I think the STAR WARS prequels had some of the same reliance on audiovisual tableaux, even though they were all integrated into a story.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Also I have grown to almost despise Avatar because when you get past all the visual splendor, it turns out that the writing, character development and acting are almost as bad as the Star Wars prequels. It's just that Cameron is so much better a film-maker than Lucas that he manages to bury most of the stale, rotten framework under layers and layers of illusory magic.

It's a simple and unoriginal story, but thankfully it's told with style thanks to the visuals and Cameron's ability to make entertaining films. He's not the most nuanced of directors, but he's a decent showman. Though I could take it or leave it, I'm not too fussed either way. It's the music that I really care about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    (filmmaking is so much more than just storytelling, as AVATAR recently proved)

No, films just have different ways to tell a story other than words and dialogue. A pretty picture, a pretty scene, is meaningless unless it adds to the story in some way.

There are thousands of films that rely less on story and more on other things (symbolism, political messages, visceral experience). Heck, there are films that don't really have a story at all. Several French New Wave films, for example, are more about the dismantling of filmmaking altogether. The same type of thing can appear even WITHIN storydriven, mainstream Hollywood films. Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg etc. I think the STAR WARS prequels had some of the same reliance on audiovisual tableaux, even though they were all integrated into a story.

Exactly. Integrated into the story; there for a reason; there because of the story. Otherwise you might as well just flash a pretty image half way through the film that has nothing to do with the story.

Thank you for proving my point. smile

Those French New Wave films sound very unappealing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Exactly. Integrated into the story; there for a reason; there because of the story. Otherwise you might as well just flash a pretty image half way through the film that has nothing to do with the story.]

Thankfully, the human mind is able to take more away from films than a story, even as we watch it. Otherwise, we would all be reading books instead. It's actually more a question of focus and cognitive priorities...in other words, we can easily go from a more audiovisual experience-type thing to a more characterbound, story-driven experience and back again. They are quite different, but none more valuable than the other. Just as paintings can communicate stuff that aren't so much about story, so too can film with its audiovisual potential.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Books are the most literal form of storytelling, films just happen to use visuals and sound. Films are a visual medium - but the visuals are there to tell a story. I don't deny that you can take more away from a film than the story, there are so many facets to creating a film; you can enjoy the photography, the acting, the music, the direction, the design and just about every aspect of the film in their own rights. But those things are still a result of and related to the story.

So rather than "filmmaking is so much more than just storytelling", I'd change that to "filmmaking is so much more than just dialogue and narration to tell its story."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, Steven, story is only the guiding force in mainstream film. It's only ONE out of many ways to structure or use the film medium. The most common, yes, but not the only one. Likewise, it's not the only thing that a human mind is able to take away from audio & visuals.

AVATAR is a classic example of such philosophy even within a mainstream expression. It's not the story that makes it great. It's the visceral, immediate, cognitive experience of the world that Cameron created. The STAR WARS prequels have some of the same, but not to the same degree, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    AVATAR is a classic example of such philosophy even within a mainstream expression. It's not the story that makes it great. It's the visceral, immediate, cognitive experience of the world that Cameron created.

Okay read this very s-l-o-w-l-y, because you appear to be missing my point:

Of course it's not the story that makes it great, of course it's the visuals. But those visuals are there BECAUSE OF THE STORY. The visuals are there to help TELL THE STORY. If there was no story, there would be no visuals. Their use in the film is to AID THE STORY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Of course it's not the story that makes it great, of course it's the visuals. But those visuals are there BECAUSE OF THE STORY. The visuals are there to help TELL THE STORY. If there was no story, there would be no visuals. Their use in the film is to AID THE STORY.

And you don't seem to get my point either. Visuals are not always there to help a story. There may be other agendas on the filmmaker's resume besides or beyond that. Also, film viewers are able to use visuals (and audio) for OTHER things than story pleasure.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. While I think I am agreeing with your point here, Thor, could you write more about the other role of visuals in movie?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

And you don't seem to get my point either. Visuals are not always there to help a story. There may be other agendas on the filmmaker's resume besides or beyond that.

Like?

In the case of Avatar, the visuals are there to aid the story. So I'm not sure why you're using Avatar as an example? What else are the visuals created for in Avatar if not for and because of the story? confused

Also, film viewers are able to use visuals (and audio) for OTHER things than story pleasure.

I never denied that. In fact, I admitted to the exact opposite:

I wrote
    I don't deny that you can take more away from a film than the story, there are so many facets to creating a film; you can enjoy the photography, the acting, the music, the direction, the design and just about every aspect of the film in their own rights. But those things are still a result of and related to the story.

Christ almighty, it's like arguing with a brick wall... that unfortunately talks back.
  2. In the case of Avatar, the story was created FOR the visuals, I think, but there is one thing.

The story has a point. And that differs Cameron from hacks. He has a strong story above all, THEN come the visuals. Even if the story is unoriginal and an excuse for great visuals, it still has heart.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Like?

In the case of Avatar, the visuals are there to aid the story. So I'm not sure why you're using Avatar as an example? What else are the visuals created for in Avatar if not for and because of the story? confused

In the case of AVATAR, it was to create an almost body-envelopping experience - much of it had more in common with the aesthetics of theme park rides than classical, filmatic storytelling.

In other, less story-driven expressions (in the socalled artfilm world), visuals and audio can be used to create some political message or heavy, moment-specific symbolism that have little, if anything, to do with any story. Antonionio, for example, places far more emphasis on the construction of the image, the distance to the object, the use of silence and off-kilter sound etc. to explore his recurring theme of identification that runs through his filmography. Story matters less to him. Just to mention one.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I don't really want to stick my head into this discussion, but I do want to mention that I find certain Japanese or Korean filmmakers have an eye for estatics, and that alone makes the movies enjoyable. Sometimes the story doesn't seem to matter that much.

I remember for instance thoroughly enjoying "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" by Kim Ki-Duk.

Not a whole lot going on in that movie (there is a story, and yes, the visual sometimes express more than the characters do) but it is not in the way that for instance Avatar does it.

In Avatar (for me personally) the visuals help tell the story by making you literally step into the Pandora world (if you watched it in 3D you literally were in there).

In 'Summer' the images had a more meditative effect on me. They were stunning and beautiful and just had a different function for me.

Gosh, this is hard to put into words...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Alright, your points can both be argued for. EVERY film has a story, even the most minimalist ones. Gus van Sants GERRY: two guys walk through a desert. That's basically it, but it's a story nonetheless. In the French New Wave, L'Annee Dernier a Marienbad; man tries to convince woman they met before. C'est tout (just about).

The mainstream conception of a film is, that everything supports the story and that as such, this is the prime function of the film: to tell a story. However, Gerry is a hypnotic experience created by the images and sounds, supported by the exhaustion of the main characters. Style over substance? You bet, but it's the style that draws you into the film, and the story is merely there to create structure. One might argue it's the two guys, the human element and their situation creates the emotional connection, but they are hardly (if any) developed. Story isn't a priority nor the reason the film exists. This is an extreme case, but it also works on q lot of Malick's films, for example.

There is a story, but it's not the most important element of the film. The emphasis is elsewhere and that's what's creating the emotions. You either make a film to tell a story, or use a story to display something else (often more abstract things).

To get back to AVATAR; the lack of proper development of its story, yet the detailed development of Pandora, its surroundings and the overall visual experience, shows that for Cameron, story did not have a priority. He's not telling the story in the first place, he's creating an experience. The story is just helping him to achieve this goal. Which doesn't necissarily need to be a bad thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010 edited
    BobdH wrote
    The mainstream conception of a film is, that everything supports the story and that as such, this is the prime function of the film: to tell a story.

In mainstream film, yes. In film as a whole, not so much.

However, Gerry is a hypnotic experience created by the images and sounds, supported by the exhaustion of the main characters. Style over substance? You bet, but it's the style that draws you into the film, and the story is merely there to create structure.

I've never believed there is any such thing as "style over substance". Style - if given to the right hands - IS substance!

To get back to AVATAR; the lack of proper development of its story, yet the detailed development of Pandora, its surroundings and the overall visual experience, shows that for Cameron, story did not have a priority. He's not telling the story in the first place, he's creating an experience. The story is just helping him to achieve this goal. Which doesn't necissarily need to be a bad thing.

Exactly! Agree totally.
    I am extremely serious.