• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There's a couple of tracks by him on a CD (although I didn't buy it). There were also tracks by Conrad Pope as well though, from memory, and I assume their styles would be very different.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    Indeed; the Glass pieces are quite lovely, albeit standard. The rest is uplifting, fluffy, standard rom-com stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    Most of the score was rejected. See http://philipglass.typepad.com/glass_no … tions.html
  2. Loved his Cassandra's Dream score, so dark and menacing. The main title is especially good with the string theme grabbing you right away.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Loved it too. Worked great in the film which is also pretty good and recommended.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    NO RESERVATIONS' on tv right now, didn't know it had a pretty good score by Glass. Any known cd releases?

This is the cooking movie with Catherine Zeta Jones, right? a lot of the score used in that film was just Mark Isham's score to Life as a House re-used.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    Yeah, you're right i did notice that when i watched and found those portions completely inappropriate; the little Philip Glass score that was used managed to elevate a bit some of the scenes; the movie was pretty pointless imo but still Isham's score made some scenes annoying.
  4. I really like Isham's score to Life as a House, but it really bothered me to hear it in that film. The film was not good. When two characters go from hating each other to loving each other during one dialogue-free montage you know a film has issues.

As for the glass pieces, I'm afraid I didn't even notice them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    New project for 2010,

MR. NICE, music by Philip Glass

ANyone heard this?

http://www.britfilms.com/britishfilms/c … joU426A655
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Glass is a very interesting person. I think even Martijn (no lover of the music) would get something out of the recent feature length documentary about him by director Scott Hicks.

It's an alright documentary. Half of the twelve parts were interesting, the other half was not.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. KevinSmith wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Glass is a very interesting person. I think even Martijn (no lover of the music) would get something out of the recent feature length documentary about him by director Scott Hicks.

It's an alright documentary. Half of the twelve parts were interesting, the other half was not.

As in many things, opinions vary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    Symphony No.9, previously an iTunes exclusive will be released on CD by Orange Mountain Music on April 10th (catalogue number OMM0081).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    Philip Glass is playing at St. Georges ( a small venue that is intimate and lovely, one of my favourite concert halls ) in Bristol on Tuesday 14th, the tickets sold out almost immediately but We've put in a request in case there are any returns, so fingers crossed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Philip Glass is playing at St. Georges ( a small venue that is intimate and lovely, one of my favourite concert halls ) in Bristol on Tuesday 14th, the tickets sold out almost immediately but We've put in a request in case there are any returns, so fingers crossed.

I think you'll enjoy that; I hope you get tickets! He seems to favour slightly unusual venues for those solo piano concerts - I saw him perform the same programme at Lichfield Cathedral and the Theatre Royal in Norwich.

Other upcoming stuff:
    The ENO will be performing The Perfect American in June - http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/product … temid=2312

The UK premiere of Symphony No.10 will be on July 31st as part of this eclectically programmed and oddly scheduled prom - http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-31/14638

The ENO are also reviving Satyagraha later this year - http://www.eno.org/see-whats-on/product … temid=2395

No film music stuff on the immediate horizon, but the guy has just written two operas and a symphony in quick succession.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2013
    ENO? The Electric Night Orchestra?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the info Jim. I can only presume that his 10th symphony will be released on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    ENO? The Electric Night Orchestra?

English National Opera.

Timmer wrote
    Thanks for the info Jim. I can only presume that his 10th symphony will be released on CD?

It's very short, so I would expect it to be coupled with something else or to appear on iTunes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013
    Hm, a Philipp Glass thread. What albums should I start with if I want to listen to some of the orchestral pattern style that influenced some of Elfman's later work, like Alice in Wonderland, or another one of my favourites, the main titles from Standard Operating Procedure (or Serenada Schizophrana part 1 if you will)..? I've been trying to get into Glass, but maybe I've started in the wrong place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013
    Jim's your man, he'll tell you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013 edited
    Glass' new score to VISITORS, the latest film/documentary from the director of the Koyanisqatsi trilogy, is now available in the iTunes Store in its complete, unedited form.

https://itun.es/us/hgZzP
  6. Koyaaaanisqaatsiiiiiiiii

I need to listen to that one again soon.

I also have a double CD set best-of-PG. I love the song "The Photographer" therein from "A Gentleman's Honor" among other cues.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. BobdH wrote
    Glass' new score to VISITORS, the latest film/documentary from the director of the Koyanisqatsi trilogy, is now available in the iTunes Store in its complete, unedited form.

https://itun.es/us/hgZzP

Sounds good. And there are some loooong tracks too!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. VISITORS is one of those soundtracks almost noone is going to get, owing to the film's obscurity, but it is great to hear a composer freed from the usual constraints of drama scoring.
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    VISITORS is one of those soundtracks almost noone is going to get, owing to the film's obscurity, but it is great to hear a composer freed from the usual constraints of drama scoring.

I'm not familiar with many of Glass' symphonies but listening to Visitors, this is what I imagine he'd write for a symphony.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. I want A Brief History of Time!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    VISITORS is one of those soundtracks almost noone is going to get, owing to the film's obscurity, but it is great to hear a composer freed from the usual constraints of drama scoring.

I'm not familiar with many of Glass' symphonies but listening to Visitors, this is what I imagine he'd write for a symphony.

The symphonies are a little more boisterous and percussive. The purely orchestral ones with no outside influences (2, 3, 8, 9, 10) are the most successful I think, but 7 (Toltec) is worth listening to for it's rhythmic ingenuity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    Is his opera Akhnaten worth to see?

I like the music (I remember Timmer linking to a piece of it?) but never seen an opera and fear it may just be something I don't understand. But it plays here in Gent next month and there are some cheap tickets left (on the top balcony of the opera, probably not optimal but well, I see it as a tryout).
    Kazoo
  11. The real-life story behind it is quite interesting. I've not actually watched it, so I can't say. I love the overture, but there's a few more hours to it than that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015
    biggrin

Yeah it lasts for 3 hours! Perhaps I need to bring a book.
    Kazoo