• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    Welcome back Stavi! I had a rather long lapse throughout all of 2009, myself.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    Thank you for the warm "welcome back" guys! I appreciate it! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. How are you doing, Stavi?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    I'm fine! I'm trying to breath and re-boot! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Gilles has also not returned since long.

Steven either?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hiya Bregt, have a good time? cool

Steven is still MIA.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven......where is he??????
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Bregt wrote
    Gilles has also not returned since long.

Steven either?

Gilles just a bit tired from the site, a small burn out, I'm sure he'll be returning soon smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Give him our best smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Give him our best smile

I'll do that smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    As suggested by a certain fine Dutch fellow, here's just a little reminder that I still exist in some form or another. I decided to take a break from MT for while, and I appreciate those who have (for reason unknown to me) missed me. I'll probably post from time to time, but I shan't be as involved in the forum as I perhaps have been in the past. smile

Steven out.

PS I got your text Bregt, but I've still yet to buy any more credit for my phone which is why there was a lack of reply... I mostly use it for the wi-fi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Hey! I sent you one in facebook too wink Take care mate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010
    Steven wrote
    As suggested by a certain fine Dutch fellow, here's just a little reminder that I still exist in some form or another. I decided to take a break from MT for while, and I appreciate those who have (for reason unknown to me) missed me. I'll probably post from time to time, but I shan't be as involved in the forum as I perhaps have been in the past. smile

Don't you like us anymore? sad

Peter smile
  4. Hello guys and girls, I decided to log in after all this time to let you know I'm alive and kicking, but you won't see me posting again like I did in the past, interest in film music has diminished greatly, not for the great music I own and still listen to on a daily basis, but for the new stuff and new generation of composers which I could care less about. There's not much anymore that can surprise me due to lack of interest and time, part of growing older I think. Also now most of my holy grails have been released, there's little to look forward to... But that's just me.

I simply don't have the energy, desire or time anymore to pass my time and discuss on this board, or any board for that matter. Open-minded as most of you all are, I'm certain you will understand (kind of). Maybe I'll pop in from time to time, but only time will tell.

To those who asked... cheers !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can understand that Gilles, IMO there's still great film music being written but less and less for main stream Hollywood films where I'm am very very rarely impressed.

Still, there's always interesting Off Topic threads and just checking out the NP Off Topic thread can lead into new worlds of wonderful discoveries with the odd discussion about classical music thrown in, I hope you'll join our small minority band of regulars. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There;s a lot of great film music but you have to look outside Hollywood for that; and weren't you fond of the younger generation of hollywood composers? That's what i was led to believe, or was that your brother? In any case, take good care my friend beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's happenin'? Steven and DreamTheater phasing out of maintitles and film music?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Good to hear all is well Steven and Gilles. I understand, but please do not leave for long. We have off topic discussions too ... like ... everywhere!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow, this has to be a virus or something. I don't feel like posting as much as I used either sad
    Maybe the fact that my job is taking most of my time has something to do with it, along with other issues. Still, I log in everyday, so I'm still in touch with you guys and girls (more or less).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010 edited
    I'm happy I'm not in that position. I love the 60s, I love the 70s, I love the 80s, I love the 90s, I love the 00s and I'm confident I'll soon love the 10s as well. I find that all the decades have so much brilliant music to offer, if you just look the right places. In fact there's so much brilliant music and so many brilliant composers that I feel overwhelmed. There are so many scores I want to check out, but I can't possibly keep up with all the releases. There are so many composers I want to investigate further, but before I get a chance to investigate a single one, a dozen other interesting composers are added to the list.

Perhaps the trick is to use youtube, online samples, filesharing programs, libraries, friends etc. There are lots of ways to investigate where your interest lies, without having to buy everything in existance. Without investigation you'll have to have a narrow focus, to avoid an empty wallet. With a narrow focus (for instance Hollywood blockbusters only), you'll easily end up losing interest over time. It doesn't have to be like that though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Peter, very well said; good music is everywhere but it changes each decade and you need to find it elsewhere each time; it's part of the excitement of the whole process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People who are mostly bound to Hollywood film music are usually set to suffer from loosing interesting at some point anyway;
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Peter, very well said; good music is everywhere but it changes each decade and you need to find it elsewhere each time; it's part of the excitement of the whole process.

Very true but I'm finding that "elsewhere" is outside of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, let me be the counter-weight then.

I've been active in film music fora for at least 15 years. And I feel more active than ever!

OK, I've had my slumps too, but film music is passion burned to strongly into my very being that I can't let it go. Even if I go to parties and have fun and do anything non-film music related (like now, where I'm pretty drunk after the opening party of a film festival).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's true as well, good music is good regardless of labels; but inside film music there's some very good stuff too, you need to look for it a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    OK, let me be the counter-weight then.

I've been active in film music fora for at least 15 years. And I feel more active than ever!

OK, I've had my slumps too, but film music is passion burned to strongly into my very being that I can't let it go. Even if I go to parties and have fun and do anything non-film music related (like now, where I'm pretty drunk after the opening party of a film festival).

Getting drunk is a norm i'd guess wink biggrin beer
  5. I am finding myself being interested in listening to stuff outside of the usual Hollywood fare. That's why I'm forever trawling places like Amazon, eMusic, etc for stuff I've never heard before from composers I've never heard. Some of it stuff I'd never want to hear in full. But sometimes there's little gems that never get discussed anywhere.

And there's also plenty of material from Europe and Asia that's old but still to be discovered (by me at least). Yesterday's The Black Corsair is a good example.

I'd certainly recommend hunting out film/TV/game music rather than just letting the Hollywood PR system feed you what it wants.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's true as well, good music is good regardless of labels; but inside film music there's some very good stuff too, you need to look for it a bit.

I've already said that elsewhere. It's becoming a dwindling few who really interest me now though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The other day i was listening to Coulais "travelling birds" and "Himalaya"...what a stunning composer. Same goes to the romantic passionate gem that is Gabriel Yared's "Le hérisson " from 2009, scores that go completely under the radar for more and it's a shame.