• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    The other day i was listening to Coulais "travelling birds" and "Himalaya"...what a stunning composer. Same goes to the romantic passionate gem that is Gabriel Yared's "Le hérisson " from 2009, scores that go completely under the radar for more and it's a shame.

Both Coulais and Yared are composers who I always have time for.

Talking of HIMALAYA ( yes, it's a wonderful work indeed D ) does anyone know where I can get a copy? I have a copy on CDR but I want the real thing, I tried SAE who had it advertised but has actually run out.

Anyone??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Peter, very well said; good music is everywhere but it changes each decade and you need to find it elsewhere each time; it's part of the excitement of the whole process.

beer

I also think part of the problem with people who become disillusioned is that they tend to focus on new scores only or primarily. As someone who don't really care from when and where scores are, the amount of music is so great that I'd need a thousand lifetimes to catch up.

For example I love Morricone. There are about 450 scores in existance, countless unreleased, expanded, and various other projects. I could collect my entire life, and still not find everything. Delerue is my second favourite composer. I look at imdb and see 347 titles! Collecting Delerue is a task almost as insurmountable as collecting Morricone. Recently John Powell has climbed to the very top of my favourite composers working in Hollywood. Phew, there are only 60 imdb entries, that should only take a decade to explore fully. Then there's Richard Harvey (80 titles), Wojciech Kilar (163 titles), Lee Holdridge (195 titles), Pino Donaggio (178 titles), Christopher Gunning (45 titles), Alexandre Desplat (120 titles). All these fascinating composers, each with their own immense treasure trove.

How can anyone feel bored with this? I just don't get it.

Peter confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010 edited
    Has anyone said they're bored? It's the sea of mediochrity that is the complaint.

I'll never lose my passion for film music but I find myself rolling my eyes more and more than I ever did years ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    For example I love Morricone. There are about 450 scores in existance, countless unreleased, expanded, and various other projects.

Imagine how it would be to be a fan of Illayaraya, who has composed TWICE as many scores as Morricone and then some!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Has anyone said they're bored? It's the sea of mediochrity that is the complaint.

I'll never lose my passion for film music but I find myself rolling my eyes more and more than I ever did years ago.

True, no one used the b-word, but some descriptions definately sounded like boredom to my ears. For instance I know I'd be bored in a sea of mediocrity.

Lucky that I think the sea is one of brilliance and excitement (with the occasional turd floating around).

Thor wrote
    Imagine how it would be to be a fan of Illayaraya, who has composed TWICE as many scores as Morricone and then some!

I can only pity such fans. wink That said, I'm not sure much of his stuff has been released, which would make it easier I guess.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Talking of HIMALAYA ( yes, it's a wonderful work indeed D ) does anyone know where I can get a copy? I have a copy on CDR but I want the real thing, I tried SAE who had it advertised but has actually run out.

Anyone??

Amazon France has them very cheaply (though only a few remain!!!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    That'll do me! Thanks buddy beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    Ordered it.....despite my incredibly rusty understanding of French dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Where's Timmer?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Where's Timmer?

Beats me!? :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    steven
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven is taking some time away from the board for a while.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    glad to know he is ok, hopefully
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, he's ok from what i know from the last time he showed up; just taking some time off.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I miss Steven. I've always found his posts hilarious, and this place doesn't seem right without him.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Come back to us, Ultimate-Williams-Fan, come back!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Spielberg of course!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven who?

Oh, you know, that idiot who used to post here.
  1. Southall wrote
    Steven who?

James Horner
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A Brit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    A Brit.

No, that's Alan. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Spielberg... wait, that doesn't work.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James Horner

This always works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven hates us all!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  2. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

How about Alan Smithee then? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

How about Alan Smithee then? wink

The famous director of 1984's DUNE? What about him?
  3. Dune was credited to Smithee? I didn't know. Where? I think I saw a version credited to Lynch!