• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    As per Anthony's post, I thought I'd make this a separate topic as this may be a great opportunity for both Star Wars AND score geeks to meet up! I will *definitely* be going!

From April 10th onwards.
    More details when I find them out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7779011.stm

In Star Wars: A Musical Journey, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will play a live score as excerpts from the six films are shown on a cinema screen.

The show has been put together by director George Lucas' company Lucasfilm and composer John Williams.

It will premiere at the O2 in London in April before going on a European tour.

It will not be a traditional musical with actors playing characters from the films, but will feature live narrators.

The six Star Wars films have been edited down to two hours for the show, and Williams has "painstakingly rewritten" the music he wrote for the movies, a statement said.
    The Royal Philharmonic will use an 86-piece orchestra and an accompanying exhibition will feature original models, props, costumes and production artwork.
    The show will open at the O2 on 10 April. Tickets, costing between £30 and £100, will go on sale on Monday.

fireworks fireworksfireworks fireworksfireworks fireworks
    bouncebouncebounce
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Holy.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Moly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    It would be nice to know the other European cities where the concert will take place. The flight to London plus the ticket is a bit too expensive for me momentarily but I would definitely like to go to one of the concerts. (Vienna maybe???)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll be looking into the European tour as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'll go if other MT members will be going to London (though I imagine it might not be that great - I'd be more enthused if Williams were conducting himself).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm shocked beyond belief that Anthony would actually permit a new thread to be started.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He is but a learner.
    I am the master.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds awesome! cheesy

(What a horrible phrase "painstakingly rewritten" is.)
  1. Southall wrote
    I'll go if other MT members will be going to London (though I imagine it might not be that great - I'd be more enthused if Williams were conducting himself).

I'm definitely going to be at this! It sounds like it's going to be a bit like the Lord of The Rings concert in Antwerp (i.e., a huge stadium-type location) and the Lord of The Rings exhibition that toured a few years ago.

I'm hoping that there are going to be a few dates to choose from. If there are several days then we could try and organise a specific date?

I suppose that we have to wait till Monday for the tickets to go on sale for more information?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounds like the perfect next MainTitles meeting! I'll be there. A shame Williams won't though.

Then again, you'd have thought he'd go on the opening night at least.
  2. More information (from The Times) :

The production, which condenses more than 13 hours of film into 90 minutes, will be more like a classical music concert performed in front of a cinema screen, 27m (90ft) wide.

The audience at the 17,000-seat O2 Arena in southeast London will watch key scenes from the film as 86 musicians from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra play extracts from John Williams’s score.

The composer has reworked the music for the show, which will take place on April 10. Other shows may follow, depending on demand.

...the running order of the scenes was still being finalised. “We’ve worked out most of it,” he said. “We originally thought it would be a chronological telling of the six films . . . but it is not as precise as that.”

...most fans’ favourite moments had been preserved. “Because there is so much to choose from there will be Star Wars fans out there who will say, ‘How come that wasn’t in there?’ But overall I think Lucasfilm has done a brilliant job.” Scenes that have survived include the destruction of the Death Star, love scenes between Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala and several battle scenes featuring tiny single-seater spacecraft swarming around vast battleships. Star Wars purists who decried the introduction of computer-generated characters in the later films in the franchise may be disappointed. Jar Jar Binks, a swamp monster with a sing-song voice, is included in the piece.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Anthony wrote
    A shame Williams won't though.

Does it say anywhere that Williams isn't going to be there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I'm kinda wondering about that too!
    confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does it say anywhere he will be?

The last I heard, his agent said he was too old to be traveling to all these things. sad
  4. I know that there's always talk of Williams not travelling (outside the US) anymore, but this event might be something that could entice him to venture to new climes.
  5. Anthony wrote
    Does it say anywhere he will be?

We've very few details so far, so I think that it's a bit too early to say either way.

Hopefully, if Williams wants to do it he'll be able to persuade his agent to let him out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    A shame Williams won't though.

Does it say anywhere that Williams isn't going to be there?

Snobbery. He never is there. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    If Williams comes, I'm there.

I he doesn't, I'm not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    why all of the different star wars threads?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Williams won't be there by the way
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's been confirmed?
  6. I think it's a fact. Williams rearranged works for his Ghent concert, but said that he wouldn't conduct it himself, because he doesn't want to leave America anymore.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    Hm, I don´t know...

They (George Lucas) were (was) obviously inspired (intrigued) by the fantastic (financial) success of the worldwide LOTR concerts.

As much as I find the prospect of seeing such a concert exciting, the motivation behind it stinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Yes, especially as the three-year long Lord Of The Rings hyper-merchandise blitz was for purely humanitarian reasons... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and the concert is going on tour
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    To hell with LOTR and Star Wars - when the hell is The Lost Symphony going on tour?! crazy cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, especially as the three-year long Lord Of The Rings hyper-merchandise blitz was for purely humanitarian reasons... rolleyes

But you do realise that the LOTR concerts were the first of their kind and paved the way? I really doubt that this SW thing would have been done if Shore had not proven that things like these can work. To do those film music concerts outside of festivals was a certain kind of risk, and I applaud Shore for taking it. It was only after those LOTR concerts that out of a sudden we got a lot more stand-alone film music concerts in Germany. Before LOTR, they were a quite depressing rarity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it certainly wasn't the first (The "George Lucas Adventures" (a musical theatre extravaganza surrounding Indy and Star Wars) was touring the east in 1993/1994), but you're absolutely right that the Shore tours have proven that such enterprises are still very lucrative, and indeed there's no doubt in my mind that this triggered Lucas to revive the idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    To hell with LOTR and Star Wars - when the hell is The Lost Symphony going on tour?! crazy cry

It has.
    Years ago.
    Since they set out though nobody has heard of it ever again...