• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Okay, it's got to suck being named Dick Trickle.

Tortuous to go through school called Dick Army.

But imagine your parents name you ... get ready for it: Adolph Hitler.

These parents deny they are rascit, but read the article and see what his sister's middle name is:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_ … itler_cake

On a related note, funny names!
    http://www.funnyname.com/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    You just wouldn't call them that for their own damn safety. It doesn't matter if no one else in the world is called that, but that's exactly the reason why! rolleyes

What are the chances that kid is going to change their name when they hit 18?
  2. 100%?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Too low. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anthony wrote
    What are the chances that kid is going to change their name when they hit 18?

Will they even hit 18???
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A touche! biggrin
  3. ...and then there are some names that get funny or strange for people in other countries.

Such examples could be: John Hora, the man is Joe Dante`s cinematographer and I really love Dante`s pictures but I hope that Mr. Hora wont go to Scandinavia because his name is the swedish spelling of the word "whore".

Then we have another cinematographer: Peter Sova who was the Director of Photography on Barry Levinson`s Good Morning Vietnam and his name means "To sleep" in swedish.

Ben Cross is a british actor whose name is also funny for us swedes because the swedish word for "bone" is "ben" so his name can be read as Bone Cross.

Please I do not want to be disrespectful to these people but those names does really mean that I said, in swedish.
  4. Sova in Polish (written sowa) means owl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And the less said about Thomas Wanker, the better.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    I feel bad for Chris P Bacon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    And the less said about Thomas Wanker, the better.

Hence the change to Thomas Wander wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    More than 10 years ago, someone tried to name their son "Akuma" (it means devil in Japanese) but government rejected it. It was a big news at that time on TVs and weekly magazines. rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Most sane countries have regulations that they authorities can refuse names like these. Some countries carry it too far though, like Iran, you can only choose from a list provided by the government... mostly names from the Koran.... pfff... what a bore.

... what about the names of the kids of Wacko Jackson... Blanket, Prince... pfff... so sad.

I have a daugher called Freya Aurora... (Norse goddess of love/beauty, second name; Dawn / Northern Lights) I like Norse mythology so... hence this name... still reasonable though while still fairly unique. Still I did some extremely extensive searching / posting on name forums... of my own country (netherlands) and English name forums... to see what the feedback was before deciding... which was mostly very positive. I find "parents" who give kids name like Adolph Hitler and whatever totally irresponsible and complete nutcakes. I also read somewhere that parents wanted to name their child, get ready... "@", yes that is correct: @.

What an idiots. Then its good that the government will simple not accept such extremely idiotic names.

By the way, finding a name for a boy is very difficult... still can't think of a name for a boy... I like:

Thor, Rein, Reinhard... (but sadly in the US they screwed up the first name by making a comic character named Thor, and the second name they unfortunately don't know how to pronounce it... they will say "rain" arghhh. I also like Hilmar, Ingmar....

For another daughter I would love to give these names; Iselinde Hilde van de Laak.

I know a bit... uncommon... but give me these kinds of names any time, instead of Danny, Wesley, Johnny, Jacky, Dylano or any other similar names. (nothing against these names, but in the Netherlands, such names we call "ordinair" meaning something like very low class, as these name are popular with families like these:

http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/images/fl … 319561.jpg

That's a picture from a very funny tv series in the Netherlands based on a movie called Flodder.. its great... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091060/

This movie has very crude sexist humor. Nice.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Miya wrote
    More than 10 years ago, someone tried to name their son "Akuma" (it means devil in Japanese) but government rejected it. It was a big news at that time on TVs and weekly magazines. rolleyes

Miya, do you know what the names Haruki and Narumi mean?
    Those are children in my son's class. It would be better if he asked them of course but I'm just curious right now.
    wink
  5. and over at Facebook I saw in the "people you may know" section that there where a woman who have two last names and one of them was Billig. Billig in swedish is Cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    When we were thinking of names we had this joke. The childrens last name is Colen. It's pronounced as 'kolen' which means cabbages in English (and coals too btw). 'Bloem' is a (rare) girls name which means 'flower' in English. If in Dutch you put Bloem and Colen one after another it makes 'bloemkolen' which means cauliflowers hehe.
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Just met a lady with the name: Arie... that's a man's name! So weird.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I never got used to Kim being a male name.

Arie... short for Arielle perhaps? The same with Jan for a woman, or Kees.
    Amber for a man...

My daughter's name is Quinn, it's more often used for a boy though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Bregje wrote
    Miya, do you know what the names Haruki and Narumi mean?
    Those are children in my son's class. It would be better if he asked them of course but I'm just curious right now.
    wink

It depends what kanji characters are used for those names. Many Kanjis can apply to Haruki and Narumi... (Kanji characters are ideograms)

But in many cases, Haruki is made of two kanji characters: "spring (haru)" and "tree (ki)". But there are many other kanjis that have sound of "haru" and "ki".

So we often have troubles when we write down other people's names. You have to ask first "Which kanji are used in your name?" dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  6. My mother`s full name is Viola Margareta Genoveva Börjesson, the names Viola and Margareta is not unusual in Sweden however Genoveva (swedish form of Genevieve) is very unusual so whenever we tell someone that her name is Genoveva most people get the same reaction: "huh?" We always laugh when they have that reaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Viola Margareta are female names in Greece biggrin

Worst name ever: Thomas Wanker. Period.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Viola Margareta are female names in Greece biggrin

Worst name ever: Thomas Wanker. Period.

And a word the Americans didn't understand for some time biggrin wink

I've known a lot of people with funny names but usually it's a "nick-name", stuff like Mogwai, Jedi, Gizmo, Yoda and even, an un-liked person, OB-Wank-a knobby.

Talos, my best friends daughter is named Freya, that's a beautiful name. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. OK, what does OB mean here? bunny
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    OK, what does OB mean here? bunny

I can't remember his name ( Owen something or other ), so OB was his initials, a play on Obi.