• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008 edited
    Oooh, my yearly topic. How cool.

What happened in 2008 or what will you remember?

For me personally it was another good year. Not to be arrogant, but I feel good about this year. But here are my top events:

- A great year of Travel. China! Norway! Bath! Woow! + next week two days London. Plans for 2009 are in the making. Some members here are partly the cause of that.
    - My first job. So far it's all really good. I'm enjoying it. Great to have a colleague on this board as well.
    - More self confidence
    - the Sigur Ros concert punk
    - my mum being able to do most things again after some months after an operation of hernia punk

And on a film music level:

- The first international MainTiles Gathering + my trip to Bath with Tim. This was a great weekend, helped by the excellent weather in which we could relax and really enjoy the presence of all attended. I soo hope we can do this every year and we should push ourselves for such events as soon as they present themselves. I wish Anthony and Steven would join too next time...
    - The discovery of Armand Amar and Max Richter
    - El Cid and De Battre Mon Coeur s'est Arreté
    - MainTitles keeps on going. I'm quite proud of it
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008 edited
    And obviously, driving a Tesco trolley!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    And obviously, driving a Tesco trolley!

But of course! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hmm, when it comes to my year, this year was a mixed bag.

The good things was finding a lot of new friends online, getting to hear some scores and finally getting some originals I wanted, including the Matrix Deluxe edition which is my best purchase for quite a time. I defended my MA thesis well enough and started my Ph. D. studies. I wrote two full feature film scripts this year with my most recent record being 2 features in 4 years.

Bad things? Some stuff didn't go like it should go and it seems that only now I am growing up and dealing with problems I should have closed long time ago. Anti-depressants aren't a good thing, but they work after all.

Really a mixed bag.

Score-wise? Too. Desplat didn't fail. Zimmer was a mixed bag, though Kung Fu Panda and Frost/Nixon are great efforts from him. Will expand on the year in scores later, still need to hear some stuff smile .

But the year was eventful, indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Well, I finished college with a few respectable A-Levels and delayed university to visit family in Australia, which has given me the opportunity to fly on the A380, work in a surf shop and spend my first Christmas away from home.

It's been a satisfying year actually. On the score front, it hasn't been amazing but there have definitely been some highlights.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Well, I finished college with a few respectable A-Levels and delayed university to visit family in Australia, which has given me the opportunity to fly on the A380, work in a surf shop and spend my first Christmas away from home.

It's been a satisfying year actually. On the score front, it hasn't been amazing but there have definitely been some highlights.

Scores schmores! You're enjoying the experience of a lifetime beer cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You got it mate. beer cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    2008... we got our first niece (first cousin for our kids of course). baby
    We moved. Well, we already moved in december 2007 but that means this was out first year here. The kids changed school. I started a new training again. The Bristol trip was nice indeed, because it was a very spontaneous thing for me to do all by myself. I haven't been feeling too well this year, some stress, started in may or june and I still have some complaints I can't explain...? But as far as I know we are all healthy, we have a home, food on the table, we can do the things we love and we have eachother of course, so I'd say it was a good year.
    fireworks

Score wise I have no idea. I think the Indy box set was a good thing, although I don't have it yet. I noticed it wasn't that expensive though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    1...A very difficult year for our economy and I fear the depression will become worse in 2009. Obama has a complicated task ahead of him.
    2...My health has a lot more down than up sides to it. Many mornings I'm grateful that I can say I'm just ok.
    3...My recent joy is DESPLAT, DESPLAT, DESPLAT.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    1...A very difficult year for our economy and I fear the depression will become worse in 2009. Obama has a complicated task ahead of him.
    2...My health has a lot more down than up sides to it. Many mornings I'm grateful that I can say I'm just ok.
    Thomas

I truly hope everything gets better and better for you in 2009 Tom.
  2. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I truly hope everything gets better and better for you in 2009 Tom.

I'd just like to echo Tim's comments, Tom. I hope that 2009 has more highs than lows.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom my friend, i wish you the best for 2009. wave

So, on other news, dear BREGT; it seems that 2008 was the year you finally got a Bath? That explains a lot! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I certainly enjoy my time on Maintitles! Bregt and I are working to combine all of my writing to this site only. It will take time but will happen.
    Thomas
  3. Great, it would be really great if you wrote directly to MainTitles. And I think your writing is really valuable, Tom.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote

Bad things? Some stuff didn't go like it should go and it seems that only now I am growing up and dealing with problems I should have closed long time ago. Anti-depressants aren't a good thing, but they work after all.

Sorry to hear that.
    I often find it reassuring to think of an old saying during difficult times: "life isn't for amateurs". smile
  4. Thanks. Slowly getting better and looking forward to the new year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    good quote
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Got married! Our son, Elmer, is now 1,5 year old and every day with him is a blessing. Right now, we all have terrible cold though, so right now life sucks!!!

MovieScore Media released over 20 CDs during the year, with Cinema Symphony being the last and most spectacular one. In 2008, I produced the album featuring Basil Poledouris' final work, which was of course very special. I hope that 2009 will have a few more "bigger" projects, needless to say some of my CDs are quite obscure biggrin

Also, for me 2008 was kind of a big break in terms of my own writing with several choral pieces premiered and a major commission for 2009 (a 30 minute choral suite) coming in.

Here's to a great 2009!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quite a year for you dear Mikael then! Keep it up and even more good things happening in 2009! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    POSITIVE:

* Landed a job as caster in a TV production company, which I'm very pleased with (plus working on a very successful TV show) - travelling all around Norway to meet potential participants
    * The Barcelona trip in February with a friend of mine
    * One of the greatest summer holidays that I've ever had at our summer place in Denmark with my dad and sister
    * Lots of great parties throughout the year
    * A couple of nice acting gigs and guest lectures here and there, such as http://www.the24sevenofficeway.com/

NEGATIVE:

* Lots of problems relating to my living situation (far too complex to talk about here)
    * Very little activity on the girl front, except for a couple of dates and some flirting here and there
    * One or two health issues, one of which is a stop in work-out, which has resulted in massive muscle loss and fat around the waist

FILM MUSIC:

* Not a lot to say....I've picked up the Williamses and Elfmans that have come out (except for some expanded releases that I don't really need, such as the Blue Box and the Indy box) and the occasional extra thing, such as the Varese 30th Anniv. set. Otherwise, this year has been pretty much like every year for the last 6-7 years or so, i.e. a radical cut in all kinds of media products.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thor wrote

* A couple of nice acting gigs and guest lectures here and there, such as http://www.the24sevenofficeway.com/

Great work! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor, very cool. I want the same 'loading icon'. biggrin

Reading the above, I want to wish the best to you all for the coming 17 years! We have a cosy place here and it's still nice that this community is where we eventually always return.

soapbox = me singing again, all for you people
    Kazoo
  5. Why 17? bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    THOR DANCES! punk punk beer

And lectures
    . In very convincing ways.
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Someone needs to put him in a movie... cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    For me -

THE GOOD -

* New computer
    * Reunion with a couple of friends with whom I had lost contact
    * Dad is successfully recovering from his knee fracture and hernia operation, touch wood!
    * Making new friends with score fans! biggrin

THE BAD -

* Clashes with municipality officials who razed our colony's gardens because of a bastard in our neighbourhood
    * Got to try for the medical college entrance exam next year because of the officials taking bribes from students
    * Some money problems
    * Mumbai attacks

THE SCORE -

* Horton, Kung Fu Panda, Happening, Frost/Nixon, Valkyrie, CCBB, Wanted, Standard Operating Procedure, Afrika, Tale of Despereaux, Dark Knight. Loved 'em all! punk

A mixed bag IMO, but I'll stay with the positive side cos I like to be optimistic! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    * Clashes with municipality officials who razed our colony's gardens because of a bastard in our neighbourhood

I'm curious now... someone planting a batch of poppies or something? christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm curious now... someone planting a batch of poppies or something? christmas_drunk

Ah no... just an idiot who exists on earth to make life miserable for others, petitioning the officials that the greenery in our area causes "traffic congestions" when in reality our area is one of the most quiet and traffic-less. tongue

Hopefully 2009 will be much better!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Ah no... just an idiot who exists on earth to make life miserable for others, petitioning the officials that the greenery in our area causes "traffic congestions" when in reality our area is one of the most quiet and traffic-less. tongue

All power to you and you're family Ravi punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

All power to you and you're family Ravi punk

Same to you, Timmer! beer