• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    I can't imagine this will be the most busy topic as Hyldgaard isn't widely known, but I think he deserves his own thread. I advice Williams fans in particular to take notice, as he's a huge influence in much of Hyldgaard's music. Let's have some clips.

1.First a suite of music from "Ørnens øje" (Eye of the eagle), a danish medieval, adventure children's movie from 1997. Pay particular attention to the gorgeous choral theme playing in the clip from 0:41 to 2:13. The last couple of minutes are great as well, my favorite highlight being the joyous, grand finale during the last 40 seconds.

2.Music from the finnish "Poika ja ilves" (Tommy and the wildcat) from 1998, set to a cute video of a cavalier spaniel enjoying the snow. The Williams influence is particularly obvious in this catchy theme.

3.The third clip (the music starts at 1:30) is from a danish "film noir" series called "Edderkoppen" (The spider) from 2000, though perhaps Herrmann is the influence here. A more athmospheric than catchy theme. But I like it, as it was the first Hyldgaard CD I bought.

Peter smile
  1. I'm familiar with the music from both Eye of The Eagle and The Spider and it's now nice to see some visuals. Thanks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited
    I have his score to Poika ja ilves (Tommy and the Wildcat), which is quite good. The main theme is a bit overused but the versions have some diversity (I love the French horn version which starts the score and sounds a bit like Jean Sibelius's music). There's also the theme for mother which is a lovely piano melody. There are no real action tracks but there are some suspense moments which sound like stuff that Bernard Herrmann could write and also a bit of mickey-mousing. The track listing of the album if anyone's interested:

1. Poika ja ilves - performed by Lauluyhtye Rajaton (2:59)
    2. Teema (1:21)
    3. Uni äidistä / Tommi ja Leevi (4:06)
    4. Eläinpuisto / Hanhimarssi / Leevi jänisjahdissa (2:46)
    5. Kanjoni / Leevin vapauttaminen (2:22)
    6. Erämaahan / Unelmien piilopaikka / Äidin teema (4:21)
    7. Pako erämaassa / Ystävykset (3:57)
    8. Leevin pyydystys / Eläintäyttämö (2:01)
    9. Isä poroaidalla / Leeviä etsimässä / Ansat / Talvinen takaa-ajo I (3:20)
    10. Yksinäisyys / Äidin kuva / Suru / Uusi toivo (4:46)
    11. Talvinen takaa-ajo II / Salametsästäjät Tomin kintereillä (2:17)
    12. Luokussa / Pako ladosta / Taistelu Leevistä (3:34)
    13. Leevi ilmestyy / Jääluola, pelastuminen (3:21)
    14. Vapauteen (1:45)
    15. Tommy and the Wildcat (English version) - performed by Lauluyhtye Rajaton (2:59)
    Total time: 46:04

There are some clips from his other projects at his website Søren Hyldgaard.com. The cello theme and Angel of the Night are my favourite clips.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    I know a few rather exciting scores like Edderkoppen, Nattewns Engel and Ørnens øje. The Nattens Engel release contains 3 musical suites, but I was hoping someone could tell me what I'm missing. How much music did he composer for it?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Søren is a very good composer and used to be considered the most "promising" of Nordic film composers in the eyes of the international film music community (sort of the Kantelinen of the 90s). His scores for Angel of the Night and Eye of the Eagle are first rate. I should release some of his music some day.

mc
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Or music by other Scandinavian composers? wink If I'm not mistaken, none of Jeppe Kaas's music has been released before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    Sorry for disappearing from this topic.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm familiar with the music from both Eye of The Eagle and The Spider and it's now nice to see some visuals. Thanks.

smile

The visuals from the spider especially are top notch.

JuPe wrote
    There are some clips from his other projects at his website Søren Hyldgaard.com. The cello theme and Angel of the Night are my favourite clips.

Cool, didn't know about that site. It has some music by Hyldgaard I haven't heard before.

Joep wrote
    The Nattens Engel release contains 3 musical suites, but I was hoping someone could tell me what I'm missing. How much music did he composer for it?

Wish I knew. I've never seen the movie though. It's apparently really crappy.

moviescore wrote
    I should release some of his music some day.

He's certainly criminally undereleased (like all scandinavian composers), so I'll be first in line if you one day release any of his stuff.

Joep wrote
    Or music by other Scandinavian composers? wink If I'm not mistaken, none of Jeppe Kaas's music has been released before.

"Blinkende lygter" is one I'm aware of that has been released. It's co-composed with the legendary Bent Fabricius-Bjerre though, and I'm not sure who did which tracks.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    "Blinkende lygter" is one I'm aware of that has been released. It's co-composed with the legendary Bent Fabricius-Bjerre though, and I'm not sure who did which tracks.

Peter smile

I love Bjerre's gorgeous themes, especially FLÅKLYPA GRAND PRIX, which may be my favourite film theme of all time. Do you know if he's still doing music? He must be in his 80's now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    Is THIS it Thor?

It's beautiful love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Is THIS it Thor?

It's beautiful love

It is indeed!

His MATADOR theme is gorgeous too.

Also, he is responsible for creating one of Norway's and Denmark's most famous film themes for the OLSENBANDEN films about three bumbling thieves. This franchise is as iconic here as, say, the CARRY ON films in England or something..
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That last theme could certainly have come straight from a Carry On film ( Carry On Up The Apples And Pears? not a real title, I made it up, a way of saying Carry On Cockney ) biggrin wink

The Flaklypa Grand Prix theme really blew me away though, I can hear why you would consider it one of your all time favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Is THIS it Thor?

It's beautiful love

cheesy
    punk

That is beautiful music. Thanks Thor!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    Talking Bent, I think his "Alley cat" theme is also worth mentioning, being a worldwide hit, even winning an american grammy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFf0ClVLao

Back to Søren Hyldgaard, I've uploaded a great piece on youtube from "Nattens engel" to help promote this composer's music. I don't normally like songs, but this one is quite score-like (scory?), and the angelic voice of the vocalist, the beautiful language (probably romanian) and the great melody just makes this one outstanding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJ7mIjMfO0

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009
    As far as I recall, Hyldgaards music for Mørkets øy (Island of Darkness) from 1997 is also quite good (but the film itself was atrocious). I had the album on loan from the library once, but have since been unable to find it. I believe there were only a couple of suites of Hyldgaard's music mixed in with various non-score, but perhaps Peter could correct me on this one..

Hyldgaard is definitely under-released on CD, and I would dealy love to have more of his music out. Most CD's from the films he's done, have only featured a few tracks of his music and always left me wanting more.

As for Bent Fabricius Bjerre, a score release of Flåklypa Grand Prix would REALLY make my day, as would a compilation of some of his Olsen Banden-music. Flåklypa Grand Prix was one of the films I watched most often as a kid, and the Olsen Banden-films are (almost) universally loved in Denmark. One of the most iconic scenes from the series was set to classical music, though - when the gang broke into the Danish National Theatre. All Danes know that particular scene biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    Mogens wrote
    As far as I recall, Hyldgaards music for Mørkets øy (Island of Darkness) from 1997 is also quite good (but the film itself was atrocious). I had the album on loan from the library once, but have since been unable to find it. I believe there were only a couple of suites of Hyldgaard's music mixed in with various non-score, but perhaps Peter could correct me on this one..

Hyldgaard is definitely under-released on CD, and I would dealy love to have more of his music out. Most CD's from the films he's done, have only featured a few tracks of his music and always left me wanting more.

As for Bent Fabricius Bjerre, a score release of Flåklypa Grand Prix would REALLY make my day, as would a compilation of some of his Olsen Banden-music. Flåklypa Grand Prix was one of the films I watched most often as a kid, and the Olsen Banden-films are (almost) universally loved in Denmark. One of the most iconic scenes from the series was set to classical music, though - when the gang broke into the Danish National Theatre. All Danes know that particular scene biggrin

Norwegians too, although it was the NORWEGIAN National Theatre. Perhaps it's time to explain a little bit about this phenomenon to people who are not from Denmark and Norway. Denmark produced the first OLSENBANDEN film in the late 60's, but a Norwegian version was made just one or two years later. Since then, we've had two separate OLSENBANDEN franchises - one Danish and one Norwegian - with different actors and settings and all, but mostly the same plotlines throughout. The Swedes had their own sister series called JÖNSSONLIGAEN. The films have almost always been slaughtered by the critics, but universally loved by the audience. The 14th and final Norwegian OLSENBANDEN film was made in 1998. All of the main cast is now dead. However, a spin-off franchise has since surfaced called OLSENBANDEN JUNIOR, aimed for kids.

The films are cult classics in their respective countries, perhaps a bit like the CARRY ON films in England.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    moviescore wrote
    Søren is a very good composer and used to be considered the most "promising" of Nordic film composers in the eyes of the international film music community (sort of the Kantelinen of the 90s). His scores for Angel of the Night and Eye of the Eagle are first rate. I should release some of his music some day.

mc

Well you have and bravo!!! Does anyone know where See You: Close Again and See You is from.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!