• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's getting to the end of the year and I'm wondering what everyone has planned to see in the New Year?

For me, and as usual, it's a pretty quiet affair. Just spending the last few hours of the year with Anne and the children. Once the children are in bed we'll watch some TV (probably Jools Holland). Then we'll see in 2009 with a glass or two of Talisker, some shortbread/maderia cake.

We'll watch the fireworks being set off across the Dee Estuary on the Wirral and then call our parents' on the 'phone.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    Hogmanay (pronounced [?h?gm??ne?] — with the main stress on the last syllable) is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner.

Aaaah! biggrin

I'm leaving for London tomorrow, to celebrate NYE over there with a couple of friends.

It'll be damn fucking cold! freezing I didn't want to spend an evening in a restaurant or at a local party. I first wanted to go to Oslo, to see Thor and Hans, but that idea seemed not popular among my friends. So I proposed London, which eventually, will be as cold as Oslo (well, almost wink ).
    Kazoo
  2. More information:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow12.htm
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Hogmanay (pronounced [?h?gm??ne?] — with the main stress on the last syllable) is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner.

Aaaah! biggrin

I'm leaving for London tomorrow, to celebrate NYE over there with a couple of friends.

It'll be damn fucking cold! freezing I didn't want to spend an evening in a restaurant or at a local party. I first wanted to go to Oslo, to see Thor and Hans, but that idea seemed not popular among my friends. So I proposed London, which eventually, will be as cold as Oslo (well, almost wink ).

It's been BLOODY COLD here the last few days freezing Hope you have a great time Bregt, I wish I could come and see you but I've got a busy week.

What are your plans in London?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My plans:

I'll be heading back to Oslo tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be able to drum up something there (at least with my friends that aren't "established" with families yet). We usually do. Beyond that, I have no idea. We'll drink, eat, perhaps watch the King's New Year's speech on TV, the fireworks in an Oslo park somewhere (with lots of other people) and then maybe a party somewhere. As I've said before, I don't invest so much in this particular night, as I party so much the rest of the year.

P.S. Bregt, why didn't your friends like the idea of Oslo on New Year's? Was it the prices of things or the cold? Or something else?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, going to London is quite cheap with the Eurostar, which the fares to Oslo can't win against. Most of them still study as well, so the budget is tighter.

Plus, they didn't think Oslo can be fun.
    Kazoo
  3. Going to a friend of mine, just that smile.

Very sober New Year's Eve it'll be though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm gonna get drunk.

So pretty much business as usual.
    christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    I'm gonna get drunk.

christmas_drunk

so it seems to be new year with you all the time wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    New year? I'm not even sure what year this is. confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Bregt wrote

Aaaah! biggrin

jeezus some people have too much money
    Bregt, if you want to piss it away simply give it to me instead

I know a thing of pissing too tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I earn loads of money, you know. wink

And pissing? I prefer to spend it this way instead of using it for an expensive DVD Hifi Bleuray and whatnot sytem or a new car tongue (which is of course your right, it's just not that important for me). Plus, I'm naive. biggrin

Martijn wrote
    New year? I'm not even sure what year this is. confused

It's a confusing idea indeed. Nothing really happens.

Martijn wrote
    I'm gonna get drunk.

christmas_drunk

I so want to have a MT party once, where can all go crazy. punk
    Lets organize that in 2012! Awesome!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

Some of us haven't been to London, so obviously a tour of the tourist places. We researched some stuff, we have a Lonely Planet, and a friend knows some good places in Soho. Plus, we sure will check out the two or thee streets of Chinatown. cheesy

Any other hints and tricks Timmer?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    not found
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

Some of us haven't been to London, so obviously a tour of the tourist places. We researched some stuff, we have a Lonely Planet, and a friend knows some good places in Soho. Plus, we sure will check out the two or thee streets of Chinatown. cheesy

Any other hints and tricks Timmer?

Dunno, London is so goddamn big!?

I would say Natural History Museum but then I would because it's full of Dinosaurs, a full sized blue whale and other cool stuff punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Sweet Mary mother of God, the Natural History Museum (or the Science Museum) would be an AWESOME place to meet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Sweet Mary mother of God, the Natural History Museum (or the Science Museum) would be an AWESOME place to meet.

Meh, science schmience...I would drag your ass to the St. Paul's Cathedral, Steven, and you had better like it!

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

And believe us Bregt, there ain't anything stuffy about these two places...

Oh, hang abaht!!? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Meh, science schmience...I would drag your ass to the St. Paul's Cathedral, Steven, and you had better like it!

wink

I'd bet Steven's seen it..............many times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

wink

You kidding me?!? You wouldn't need to drag me! cheesy

(I've been there a couple of times Tim, I love visiting cathedrals. But yeah, I have seen it many times.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I most heartily recommend the Imperial War Museum.

Failing that, The Rules.
    (Bring a credit card though. Or two.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It's going to be quiet here too. Just a lazy evening, watching TV and the firworks. fireworks
    My sister just called, she and her husband are coming because at first they were going to stay at home too, so now they'll join us.

I'm curious what the children will do. If they stay up they'll probably fall asleep at about 23.30. If they go to bed first, we have to wake them up again as well and last year that was not so easy...

This is also the first New Year in this street because last year we were with friends. I wonder what the fireworks will be like. We live on a square now so the view is much better than in the old house!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I most heartily recommend the Imperial War Museum.

Failing that, The Rules.
    (Bring a credit card though. Or two.)

The Imperial War Museum is an absolutely fantastic experience.

Start at the top floor with the holocaust exhibition......everything after that is light relief.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The science museum was the best place in the world when I was a kid! The best stuff was always in the basement. And there was that huge exhibit on transport which was awesome...but then they took it all out and replaced it with an Imax theatre! sad cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Heh, we managed to drum up 12 single people for a dinner tonight (9 guys and 3 girls). Quite a feat, considering that many of my friends are established with families now. I'm heading over there now to prepare. We have bought 7 1/2 kilos worth of turkey. Should be good.

So Happy New Year to everyone in advance! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    1 to 3? I'm not sure who to feel more sorry for, the guys or the girls...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Have a good time everyone and be careful!! wave

See you on the other side, there where franz already is, among others. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have a great time everyone! beer wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.