• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009 edited
    This is me, and when I'm on the go it's these. cool

(The Panasonic SC-PT550 and RP-HC500).
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009 edited
    I have this;

http://www.amazon.com/BOSE-Companion-Mu … B00011CNWG

But I haven't used it in years...I generally use my laptop's Altec Lansing speakers (the Bose is at home.), as well as the "docking station" that has built-in (I think Altec) speakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009
    I listen on a traditional stereo system. I think it sounds better.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    cough laptop cough speakerS? confused shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Nothing very grand.

I play my CDs on my Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player that's plugged into an old NAD 3020i amplifier. I've a couple of Gale tower speakers (can't remember which ones but cost ~£200 5-6 years ago.)

It all sounds okay to me.

(Tom, you'll know about NAD amps - I remember seeing one of these as part of your set-up when I visited.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    cough laptop cough speakerS? confused shocked

I use a pair of Creative 2.0s while I'm at uni since anything else is over kill. They're a great pair of speakers for their size and price!

Though while I'm at home I have a proper 5.1 system... the sort you have to cut the cables yourself, none of this pre-packaged malarkey. wink
  2. I mainly listen to music with these ones: http://www.teufel.de/de/iTeufel/Motiv-2.cfm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    This is my home theatre system... basically. This I think is a newer model but it basically looks the same.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 … SS500_.jpg

However, I only use the centres and rears. For my lefts and rights I have a pair of beautiful Paradigm speakers which I have had for 10 years now. They look like the speaker on the stand on the far left hand side of the photo below.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7 … s-main.jpg

As for my PC, I listen through a pair of Altec Lansing speakers with a nice, big, thumping subwoofer.

The computer is also routed through my home theatre as well just in case I have the need for a bigger, fuller sound!

Music always sounds great in my home!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Technics CD player, Cambridge amp, Mordant Short speakers, put it all together myself about 10 years ago and it all works fine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ sweet
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think there is something to be said for tube equipment. Seems to me that the sound is warmer and less sterile sounding
  3. Onkyo Receiver for home theatre purpose, purchased a few months ago, SWEET sound punk attached two JVC speakers which produce so much bass I have no need for a sub + a center and two excellent rear speakers. I don't go as much anymore to the real theatre as a result. cheesy

On the PC I have an old Creative Fourpointsurround system containing 4 speakers + sub, which still hold up well, used mainly for gaming.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You all have much money to buy such huge and expensive systems! shocked

I used to use my laptop speakers (pretty good though) and bought a 2.1 Logitech set with THX sound last year, and hopefully it last another 3 or 4 years. It certainly was a huge difference comparing to those notebook thingies.

My earphones were with the iPhone I got, so those are regular ones. My headphone is a cheap one from Philips. Perhaps I don't know what good sound is though. wink
    Kazoo
  4. I equally use my speakers considering I don't have the luxury to put my music alound, considering I live in an app where it is nearly impossible to play anything loud

Man, I miss putting up my music as loud as I can sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    If you don't have the room for a decent surround system, get some massive headphones! The ultimate solution! cool
  5. Oh yes I forgot that one. For late night viewing I use a Thrustmaster headset with 5.1 sound.

Pretty impressive for putting everything loud between your ears without needing to upset your neighbours / family.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    If you don't have the room for a decent surround system, get some massive headphones! The ultimate solution! cool

I have to agree with this one. As big and as good as possible and def. not earphones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To me headphones are just a monitoring device. I'll enjoy my Klipsch speakers until I die.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Fine. I'll keep *monitoring* scores then. cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    You're young Anthony but once you experience the joy of some really fine speakers its hard to listen to certain things on anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009 edited
    Yeah, headphones are great and everything, but I've got to agree with Tom here. With headphones, sure you can get some good quality ones with some genuinely impressive sound, but the fact remains you're listening to small speakers close to your ears. The best way truly is to have some big fuck off speakers connected to a big fuck off amp. You begin to know what it's like to swim in the music rather than have it swim inside you. (That analogy doing anything for you?)

(Though youth has little to do with it as Tom so frequently likes to point out. Whether or not you've heard big fuck off speakers with your favourite scores is more to the point.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    (Though youth has little to do with it as Tom so frequently likes to point out. Whether or not you've heard big fuck off speakers with your favourite scores is more to the point.)

Exactly. Look at my original post. I've spent at shizz load of money on some big fuck off speakers and a big fuck off amp and I LOVE it. What I'm saying though is if you can't afford or don't have the room for something like this then some good quality headphones are better than having a small stereo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My point about being young is that money is many times an issue. When I was young, out of college, and trying to find myself in life I didn't have much, plus music wasn't the priority it is today. The amount of money I spent in the late 70's after I'd 'nested' was the price of a new car, so you can get an idea of how important music was to me. I'm confident if you had the money and more importantly were in a situation where playing the music loud wasn't an issue with neighbors you'd go for better equipment which then poses another question. Do you get the surround system which I believe is designed for film watching or seek out some good high quality older equipment.
    Thomas cheesy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has anybody seen those Bose speakers that look like eggs? Insane!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Klipsch all the way anthony. seek out the best
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited
    So, what about headphones? And in-ear phones especially, what are your experiences on that?

Myself, I prefer in-ear phones over headphones, since the latter are just too friggin' huge. And it makes your ears warm and uncomfortable after a while. Sure, I know that those can deliver 5.1 sound, and such, but I prefer to lie down on bed with the smaller, more comfortable ones.

So after the dogs bit my previous, normal priced headphones to pieces, I'm looking for a new pair. And I'm even thinking about getting the expensive ones; since I won't be able to get a good speakersystem, probably (neighbours, eh?) I just want one way to really get a good sound. And if I may believe the manufacturers and several user reviews, there are some in-ear phones on the market that really give a sound well above the quality I'm used to.

A few options:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Tri … amp;sr=8-1

Apparantly, these are the ones Hans Zimmer uses. And going through the reviews, it also seems this is the one with the best bass sound (go figure) and about 25% louder then Shure's or Sony's. Yet, the 3D image of the sound is considered flat and the highs aren't as good as with...

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE530-Sound … amp;sr=1-3

...these babies. Although the bass is, according to some tastes, lacking, and the highs makes your ears ring with certain music. No idea with what music that is, and most people are talking about popsongs and such. The only reference are the people talking about classical music.

Does anybody over here have any preferences? Own experiences? I think what everybody says about the UE's, and the technical information about it (some new system) sounds really good, but I'm hoping to be able to hear a wide 3D image of the orchestra's smile

Steven, I saw in a thread that you bought yourself some Shures? You did research on those? Are you liking them? Downsides? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009
    I own a pair of Shure SE210s which sound absolutely fantastic, and they only have the one speaker in each ear piece. I can only imagine what two tweeters and a micro-sub would sound like! The only drawback with the Shures is they pick up a lot of hiss whenever you plug them in to your player and the weird short cable connected to a longer cable thing. Quite annoying at times. But the foam earpieces literally cut you off from the outside world, without even having to play music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    $300 for ear buds... shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very tempted to get them myself actually. You can never have enough earphones or speakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    The only drawback with the Shures is they pick up a lot of hiss whenever you plug them in to your player and the weird short cable connected to a longer cable thing. Quite annoying at times.

You mean they hiss only the moment you plug it in, or does it have a hiss at any time? The cable thing: hmm... why is that? confused Although that sounds overcomable...

Martijn wrote
    $300 for ear buds... shocked

Hehe, I know, it's quite a lot... But since I won't be spending for a big soundsystem, probably, I do want one way to really get a good quality. I've never spent such extravagant sums before, though... shame (alright, there was that one time... at the record fair...).