• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Bolt (Powell)

Goodness... this guy's been going well lately.

Also today - The Black Stallion Returns (Georges Delerue).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Bolt (Powell)

Indeed! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. NP: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Shirley Walker)

Very enjoyable, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Bolt (Powell)

But... that's... a mainstream score... by Powell?? You've changed man, you've changed. slant
  3. Those who lack the capacity to surprise are known as the boring, my friend. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Those who lack the capacity to surprise are known as the boring, my friend. wink

Ah, good point. cool

Jumper John Powell

Probably his weakest score this year, and I don't think this one has many fans... but I still like it. Quite a lot actually. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Reader (Nico Muhly)

How is it Michael?

QUO VADIS | jan a.p. kaczmarek

Olalala. Long time no hear. Really good!
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

How is it Michael?

Not quite as striking as JOSHUA, but still fairly good. I listened to it in between a lot of music for animated films this week, so I'm not sure if that has made it seem better or worse than it is. The nice part of me says - 'I can hear Nico Muhly here, which is great'. The less nice part of me says - 'I can hear Nico Muhly here, but is it that different from The Human Stain?' On balance, one of the better drama scores of the year - it's his distinctive orchestrations, familiar from Joshua, which make the difference.

NP: Batman: The Animated Series (Various)

This is actually fantastic music for a TV show. Particularly for a syndicated animated show that ran for years, as opposed to a miniseries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

How is it Michael?

Soundscapes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Men Don't Leave - Thomas Newman

A gorgeous little synthesiser dominated score which sadly hasn't had an official release. Along with Josh And S.A.M., this is one of my favourite pre-Shawshank Newman works.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    Men Don't Leave

Yeah, too bloody right. Women do! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: LoTR: Return Of The King - Howard Shore

ROCKS!! Truly magnificent cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

I wonder if this or Horton is my best Powell score of last year, must judge! Want the academy promo!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: LoTR: Return Of The King - Howard Shore

ROCKS!! Truly magnificent cool

"Rocks" "it Rocks"....truly annoying americanisms rolleyes

Regardless, you're right that it's "truly magnificent" beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^

"Rocks" is one of my personal ways of saying I absolutely LOVED something bunny <--- this smiley rocks
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

I wonder if this or Horton is my best Powell score of last year, must judge! Want the academy promo!!

Horton by a mile!

NP: The Spirit - David Newman

First listen... what a killer main title cue! Hints of Elfman's Batman, film noir jazz, harmonica, low Goldsmith like brass rumbles, massive orchestra... fun so far.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

First listen... what a killer main title cue! Hints of Elfman's Batman, film noir jazz, harmonica, low Goldsmith like brass rumbles, massive orchestra... fun so far.

-Erik-

I look forward to hearing more of you're opinion on this one Erik cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams

Great score but the opening (which is also the closing) theme is a KILLER! The cello solo performance passage blows me away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The description of The Spirit definitely sounds interesting. I'll check this one out! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

-Erik-

Half way through and I really like what I hear. Delightful orchestrations, playful with a few epic powerhouse cues, film noir is all over this... I'm really looking forward to how this one ends.

EDIT - The score didn't reach the heights I thought it would. After such a grand beginning it kinda just whimpers away. Oh well... still there's some fine writing in the score and if you like a mix of film noir and western then this might be up your alley!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

To put it another way... Hancock is a couple of degrees better than Bolt... which is a few more degrees better than Horton. IMHO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

To put it another way... Hancock is a couple of degrees better than Bolt... which is a few more degrees better than Horton. IMHO!

Hancock is excellent as well. Bolt is great too but I think Powell out did himself with the eclectic and highly entertaining Horton.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A Touch Of Spice - Evanthia Reboutsika
    To remember my homeland...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

I thought I'd try this one again and it still failed to capture my attention with the exception of the four fantastic tracks that close out the score. Finally, some life and punchy action material that isn't just back beat and swirling strings.

-Erik-
  5. John Barry - Dances with Wolves

Amazing score. I am listening to the latest, 2004, edition. Great themes, orchestrations, just a great score. I would have done without Fire Dance on the CD, but still it's a masterpiece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

Hancock is excellent as well. Bolt is great too but I think Powell out did himself with the eclectic and highly entertaining Horton.

-Erik-

If you've seen Bolt you'll change your opinion. I have been raving about Horton all year and I changed my mind in under an hour!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with Wolves

Amazing score. I am listening to the latest, 2004, edition. Great themes, orchestrations, just a great score. I would have done without Fire Dance on the CD, but still it's a masterpiece.

I think this is the first CD I bought simply based on excellent reviews from the various websites, and I wasn't disappointed smile

NP: Conan the Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker and friends

Superb! And what a brilliant idea it was to create a 14 minute suite right off the top combining all the major character themes into one fantastic concert piece! This is TV scores at its best!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Horton by a mile!

-Erik-

Half way through and I really like what I hear. Delightful orchestrations, playful with a few epic powerhouse cues, film noir is all over this... I'm really looking forward to how this one ends.

EDIT - The score didn't reach the heights I thought it would. After such a grand beginning it kinda just whimpers away. Oh well... still there's some fine writing in the score and if you like a mix of film noir and western then this might be up your alley!

-Erik-

It sounds very interesting to me Erik and one I'll be getting.