• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with Wolves

Amazing score. I am listening to the latest, 2004, edition. Great themes, orchestrations, just a great score. I would have done without Fire Dance on the CD, but still it's a masterpiece.

Grrrrrrrrreat choice! applause cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

I thought I'd try this one again and it still failed to capture my attention with the exception of the four fantastic tracks that close out the score. Finally, some life and punchy action material that isn't just back beat and swirling strings.

-Erik-

Received this today. I'll give it a proper listen later when I can give it my undevided attention.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

I wonder if this or Horton is my best Powell score of last year, must judge! Want the academy promo!!

Horton by a mile!

To put it another way... Hancock is a couple of degrees better than Bolt... which is a few more degrees better than Horton. IMHO!

Hancock is excellent as well. Bolt is great too but I think Powell out did himself with the eclectic and highly entertaining Horton.

-Erik-

If you've seen Bolt you'll change your opinion. I have been raving about Horton all year and I changed my mind in under an hour!

I saw Bolt and I still prefer Horton.
  1. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with Wolves

Amazing score. I am listening to the latest, 2004, edition. Great themes, orchestrations, just a great score. I would have done without Fire Dance on the CD, but still it's a masterpiece.

Grrrrrrrrreat choice! applause cool

I know! I've known the score before, but when I noticed it in a music shop few days ago, I just bought it finally!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Reader (Nico Muhly)

How is it Michael?

Soundscapes.

Not at all! I'd hate to hear your description of REVOLUTIONARY ROAD or TOWELHEAD if this one is just soundscapes. dizzy

NP: Piano cues by Elliot Goldenthal

I love the way he switches between major and minor keys throughout a piece. He should do a crossover album which centres on his writing for piano and a small complement of other instruments.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Erik Woods wrote

I thought I'd try this one again and it still failed to capture my attention with the exception of the four fantastic tracks that close out the score. Finally, some life and punchy action material that isn't just back beat and swirling strings.

-Erik-

I think the album could be a bit tighter, or if not, as you say, more action music wouldn't hurt. From what I hear, the filmmakers spent their money on setting the film in multiple cities rather than on stunts, so that there actually aren't that many action scenes, and the number of corporate board room confrontations actually outnumbers them.

For all that, I like the style he took for it. I like Desplat's subtle dramatic style, but it is great to hear him cut loose with some HOSTAGE-style melodies again, something he didn't do in FIREWALL. (Though the melodies are a lot happier than they were in HOSTAGE.) And it feels like the most Barry Bond-like score I've heard in yonks.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker and friends

Superb! And what a brilliant idea it was to create a 14 minute suite right off the top combining all the major character themes into one fantastic concert piece! This is TV scores at its best!

-Erik-

Agreed. Fantastic series. It's rare that 2CD set leaves me curious as to whether there might be more out there. I would even go so far as to say this exceeded AMAZING STORIES for quality of tv music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker and friends

Superb! And what a brilliant idea it was to create a 14 minute suite right off the top combining all the major character themes into one fantastic concert piece! This is TV scores at its best!

-Erik-

Agreed. Fantastic series. It's rare that 2CD set leaves me curious as to whether there might be more out there. I would even go so far as to say this exceeded AMAZING STORIES for quality of tv music.

You might be right concerning Amazing Stories. Take out the John Williams material and a few gems from Broughton, Horner and Delerue what are you left with? It's still solid music overall but I think the fact that you had one composer - or at least that composers style - working on the show each and every week which helped make the Batman series much stronger musically.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Milk - Danny Elfman

There's nearly always a score at the end of the year that revises all my "best of the year" lists, and this is 2008's. Quite brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Milk - Danny Elfman

There's nearly always a score at the end of the year that revises all my "best of the year" lists, and this is 2008's. Quite brilliant.

I agree. I've been listening to this one quite a lot and only goes to improve Elfman's already impressive 2008 output. Bring on Salvation.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Milk - Danny Elfman

I agree. I've been listening to this one quite a lot and only goes to improve Elfman's already impressive 2008 output. Bring on Salvation.

I'm listening to this now too...it's good...very good...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sim Animals - Winifred Philips

What delightful music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Bridge to Terabithia - Aaron Zigman

Not much score here, but what is there is certainly good.
  5. Southall wrote
    Sim Animals - Winifred Philips

What delightful music!

I just got sent this as well. Your praise is great encouragement.

NP: Valkyrie (Ottman)

I really like the theme that opens the album, however I wish Ottman had worked twisted variations on it into his suspense music more. The suspense music definitely feels a bit thin on album, with obvious temp track moments (there are always a few when Ottman edits the film) being from Munich and (I think) LOST. Not bad, and probably great in the film, but when I think of the material Alberto Iglesias would have written with the same melodic basis, it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.
  6. NP: The Reader (Nico Muhly)

It definitely belongs to the school of dramatic scores that follow in the wake of Philip Glass's The Hours, which makes sense, since Muhly is one of Glass's orchestrators / composing assistants, and a member of the Philip Glass ensemble. There's something distinctive about it, but it's hard to put my finger on it. Unlike The Hours, there are woodwinds, percussion and some brass here, though piano and strings are frequently a point of focus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    NP: Hook - John Williams

One of my favorites, and a great swashbuckling score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009 edited
    NP: Defying Gravity - Music from Flying Scenes (My Custom Playlist)

This playlist is growing as I get more scores in my iTunes library...

This quote is now in my head:
    A pig who doesn't fly is just an ordinary pig. - Porco Rosso cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think the album could be a bit tighter, or if not, as you say, more action music wouldn't hurt. From what I hear, the filmmakers spent their money on setting the film in multiple cities rather than on stunts, so that there actually aren't that many action scenes, and the number of corporate board room confrontations actually outnumbers them.

For all that, I like the style he took for it. I like Desplat's subtle dramatic style, but it is great to hear him cut loose with some HOSTAGE-style melodies again, something he didn't do in FIREWALL. (Though the melodies are a lot happier than they were in HOSTAGE.) And it feels like the most Barry Bond-like score I've heard in yonks.

Didn't have a quiet moment to hear it tonight but those comments got my juices flowing lick cool
  7. You must be referring to paragraph 2! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Milk - Danny Elfman

Oh yes... this is really good! Lovely combination of Coplandesque Americana, Elfman's more serious dramatic side (Article 99) with his quirky/dramatic side (Good Will Hunting), and his own unique bizzaro world compositions (To Die For). Wonderful! And what a magnificent main theme... the second time this year the use of a saxophone has impressed me.

Great to see Danny Elfman in the spotlight this year for creating 4 of the most diverse scores I've heard from a composer since Williams in 2005. Bravo Mr. Elfman.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's something distinctive about it, but it's hard to put my finger on it.

biggrin Though I think I know what you mean, the particular turn of phrase made me laugh.
    As I actually quite like The Hours -the soundtrack, the film not so much- I should have a listen to this one!

NP: Medieval II: Total War - Jeff van Dyke (game score)
    Loads of Middle-East/Oriental wailing, tablas and semi-Indian percussion going on. So nothing new, true, but it IS very energetic and enjoyable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin Though I think I know what you mean, the particular turn of phrase made me laugh.
    As I actually quite like The Hours -the soundtrack, the film not so much- I should have a listen to this one!

I love The Hours soundtrack too. I also liked the film. Sadly, the two of them mixed together - not so much!
  8. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Uhm... excuse me, Martijn, but before you embarrass your hard-won history of minimalist disapproval, you do know who wrote THE HOURS? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote

Uhm... excuse me, Martijn, but before you embarrass your hard-won history of minimalist disapproval, you do know who wrote THE HOURS? wink

I'm well aware of it, but as someone (can't remember who) once said: "Those who lack the capacity to surprise are known as the boring, my friend."

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

I wonder if this or Horton is my best Powell score of last year, must judge! Want the academy promo!!

Horton by a mile!

To put it another way... Hancock is a couple of degrees better than Bolt... which is a few more degrees better than Horton. IMHO!

Hancock is excellent as well. Bolt is great too but I think Powell out did himself with the eclectic and highly entertaining Horton.

-Erik-

If you've seen Bolt you'll change your opinion. I have been raving about Horton all year and I changed my mind in under an hour!

I saw Bolt and I still prefer Horton.

BOLT by far!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. But we already think of you as boring. tongue (The most interesting kind of 'boring', mind you.) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Milk - Danny Elfman

I'm listening to this now too...it's good...very good...

We can all safely say that 2008 was a really great year for Elfman! Cheers and onto even more like this!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    But we already think of you as boring. tongue (The most interesting kind of 'boring', mind you.) wink

Apparently I have lost the element of surprise. sad
  10. Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?

(I know, way out of context, but it was the best I could think of!)

Fear not, Martijn, you retain the element of suprise. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Milk - Danny Elfman

Oh yes... this is really good! Lovely combination of Coplandesque Americana, Elfman's more serious dramatic side (Article 99) with his quirky/dramatic side (Good Will Hunting), and his own unique bizzaro world compositions (To Die For). Wonderful! And what a magnificent main theme... the second time this year the use of a saxophone has impressed me.

What was the first one? I feel I should know this...

Great to see Danny Elfman in the spotlight this year for creating 4 of the most diverse scores I've heard from a composer since Williams in 2005. Bravo Mr. Elfman.

-Erik-

I will always remember 2008 as Powell year (well, from my point of view at least)... but Elfman is probably a very close second, especially now with the release of Milk.