• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Milk - Danny Elfman

Oh yes... this is really good! Lovely combination of Coplandesque Americana, Elfman's more serious dramatic side (Article 99) with his quirky/dramatic side (Good Will Hunting), and his own unique bizzaro world compositions (To Die For). Wonderful! And what a magnificent main theme... the second time this year the use of a saxophone has impressed me.

What was the first one? I feel I should know this...

“You vill help us find it!” wink

Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Great to see Danny Elfman in the spotlight this year for creating 4 of the most diverse scores I've heard from a composer since Williams in 2005. Bravo Mr. Elfman.

-Erik-

I will always remember 2008 as Powell year (well, from my point of view at least)... but Elfman is probably a very close second, especially now with the release of Milk.

I agree! Powell is my number one but Elfman is a very, VERY close second.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Oh yes... this is really good! Lovely combination of Coplandesque Americana, Elfman's more serious dramatic side (Article 99) with his quirky/dramatic side (Good Will Hunting), and his own unique bizzaro world compositions (To Die For). Wonderful! And what a magnificent main theme... the second time this year the use of a saxophone has impressed me.

biggrin

Ah, gotcha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009 edited
    Braveheart James Horner

Orchestrated emotion. Tis where the language of music really comes into its own. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

Orchestrated emotion. Tis where the language of music really comes into its own. love

For the love of a Princess is the cue I would choose if I were ever asked to clothe my soul with something.

NP: The Corpse Bride - Danny Elfman

Again! I can't get enough of certain cues! Victor's Piano Solo and The Piano Duet are breathtaking!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

For the love of a Princess is the cue I would choose if I were ever asked to cloth my soul with something.

If I was ever to explain what it feels like to be in love with someone, I'd probably just play that track.

Damn this score, it's making me all romantic...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: Sommersby - Danny Elfman

cool

Gorgeous score and my Elfman favourite.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

Quite fitting since Patrick McGoohan died today.

sad

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

For the love of a Princess is the cue I would choose if I were ever asked to cloth my soul with something.

If I was ever to explain what it feels like to be in love with someone, I'd probably just play that track.

I have to say that it's one of the very few bits of Horner plagiarism that spoils my enjoyment of a score. It's SO blatant, and of SUCH a famous piece, it riles me every time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

sad

-Erik-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

wink

Incredibly enigmatic actor who was once considered for the role of Bond and would have been very good IMO, he always had that element of violence just lurking below a calm exterior.

A sad day for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Great Fantasy Adventure Album - Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops

IMHO, the best Kunzel album out there. A very, VERY close second would be Fantastic Journey with that brilliant 15 minute Batman suite. Anyway, in addition to being the best Kunzel album I also consider it to be one of the finest re-recordings of all time. Every performance is spot on and the sound quality is breathtaking. Unfortunately, the Kunzel recordings have deteriorated, sound wise, in the past few years. While these older Kunzel albums are tight, crisp, punchy and full of life the newer recordings, especially the latest, Vintage Cinema, is a cavernous, muddy, reverberated mess. Just compare the El Cid suite on the Vintage album to the El Cid suite on Great Fantasy and you will undoubtedly hear the difference.

Anyway, the Great Fantasy Adventure album offers a wide variety of adventure score opening up with the splendid "Fanfare and Entry of the Nobles" from El Cid then kicking it into high gear with a phenomenal performance of the themes from Hook. We also gets the majestic Jurassic Park themes with the "T-Rex Rescue" finale tacted on to the end of the piece. The high spirited Robin Hood: Prince of Theives is also featured, the best re-recording of "Rocketeer To The Rescue" is on this album, the awe inspiring finale from "The Abyss" is included as well as many, many more. And lets not froget the Creme de la Cream - a fully symphonic version of Brad Fiedel's iconic Terminator theme that you have to hear to believe.

This was my first Kunzel album and I highly recommend it to all film music fans!

-Erik-
  1. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

biggrin

Ah, gotcha.

Steady on there Erik - you didn't say many nice things about CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON when you first listened to it, but I'm pretty sure you remarked on the saxophone being interesting. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

sad

-Erik-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

wink

Incredibly enigmatic actor who was once considered for the role of Bond and would have been very good IMO, he always had that element of violence just lurking below a calm exterior.

A sad day for me.

Patrick McGoohan would have been a great Bond. Much better than the Lazenby / Moore streak.
    Very sad to see him pass. sad
  3. Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

But are you sure you wouldn't rather play... Holst's JUPITER!

Message board alert: Horner plagiarism horse is being beaten again!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Braveheart James Horner

But are you sure you wouldn't rather play... Holst's JUPITER!

Message board alert: Horner plagiarism horse is being beaten again!!

So soon after it was last beaten!

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ii/#Item_9
  4. That poor horse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Secondhand Lions - Patrick Doyle

Good stuff. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Iron Will - Joel McNeely

I love the film and absolutely love the adventurous score .
    One of my favourite's of composer Joel McNeely ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Eric wrote
    Iron Will - Joel McNeely

This one's GREAT. I think I might listen to it myself!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Eric wrote
    Iron Will - Joel McNeely

I'd rather listen to the real Deset Chase though. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Me too. Even the *DUM DUM DUM* EDITED one!

(Actually, I really like the Iron Will score too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote
    Eric wrote
    Iron Will - Joel McNeely

I'd rather listen to the real Deset Chase though. tongue

There was a time when I thought it must be written into the contract of anyone who wrote music for computer games (music that continues to be idolised by so many people even now) that their scores must be largely based around Desert Chase, but none of those composers ever managed to get their own personality into it the way McNeely did in that score (where the reference is far more fleeting anyway).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    NP: Laputa: The Castle In The Sky (soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

This was one of my first soundtracks I got as a little child. I also played some cues at piano lessons and my first piano recital... But after grown up, I haven't listened to it so often until lately.

But now I can say this is really a great score! It has beautiful themes, fun comical cues, adventurous spirit, and emotion.

I just learned there are Laputa Symphonic Suite and the new version re-orchestrated by Hisaishi himself for 2003 US release. I have to check them out.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. Erik Woods wrote

Great to see Danny Elfman in the spotlight this year for creating 4 of the most diverse scores I've heard from a composer since Williams in 2005. Bravo Mr. Elfman.

-Erik-

This is my least favourite Elfman score of 2008. So far it just seems a bit too disjointed a listen.

A good example of how judicious selection of audio clips can lure the listener in to part with their cash.

Milk, together with Let The Right One In and Mesrine, made for a disappointing package from SAE today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Surf's Up (Mychael Danna)

A gorgeous little sweet score. A bit undermixed in the film, unfortunately.

Next up... The Age of Conan (magnificent video game score, actually).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

biggrin

Ah, gotcha.

Steady on there Erik - you didn't say many nice things about CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON when you first listened to it, but I'm pretty sure you remarked on the saxophone being interesting. wink

Oh shit... you're right. A great year for the saxamphone.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    WP: Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind - Joe Hisaishi

The synthesizers sound cheesy now but themes are great, the opening and ending are amazing.

NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

love
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

Next up... The Age of Conan (magnificent video game score, actually).

And not only. beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    DAVID NEWMAN - the spirit

First time listening. Very welcome "old fashioned" super hero score, with bold arrangements and themes. I like it so far. I quite enjoyed the crazed film noir elements and the loud brass.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    DAVID NEWMAN - the spirit

First time listening. Very welcome "old fashioned" super hero score, with bold arrangements and themes. I like it so far. I quite enjoyed the crazed film noir elements and the loud brass.

It doesn't last long unfortunately! Great opening cue though which showed a lot of potential.

-Erik-