• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DAVID NEWMAN - the spirit

First time listening. Very welcome "old fashioned" super hero score, with bold arrangements and themes. I like it so far. I quite enjoyed the crazed film noir elements and the loud brass.

It doesn't last long unfortunately! Great opening cue though which showed a lot of potential.

-Erik-

I like the Zimmeresque/RCesque 'Egg on my Face'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

First time listening. Very welcome "old fashioned" super hero score, with bold arrangements and themes. I like it so far. I quite enjoyed the crazed film noir elements and the loud brass.

It doesn't last long unfortunately! Great opening cue though which showed a lot of potential.

-Erik-

There are moments that's for sure... but as a complete film score or album list it's a bit disorganized.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just bought the Indy box set punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

GOOD! Find time to give it your full attention... although I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't forget this handy webpage!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

GOOD! Find time to give it your full attention... although I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here.

I got it for the "odd" price of £18.39
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Bargain of the century.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    NP: Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques - Frederic Talgorn

Easily the best action adventure score of 2008 and one of the Top 3 overall of 2008. Talgorn channels John Williams and the Golden Age greats - especially Milkos Rozsa for those phenomenal overtures and parade marches. The orchestrations are vibrant, the sound quality is superb and the finale cue - the almost 12 minute "La Course De Chars" action track - is one of the best cues written in 2008. This is film music just the way I like it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Bargain of the century.

Sometimes I'm so pleased I can be patient ( I DIDN'T buy the Crystal Skull CD ), I got the set in Zavii, it was marked £22.99 and I thought "bargain" but then I found out it was 20% off too cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

That would be about $16,389.56.
    Or 14 Euro cents.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

That would be about $16,389.56.
    Or 14 Euro cents.

No. It's £18.39.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009 edited
    NP: Marie Ward - Elmer Bernstein

A fantastic Varese CD Club release. An optimistic, warm, dramatic score by the Maestro. Wonderful use of the angelic Ondes Martenot along with some beautiful oboe music. The choral music is centered around the 16th century English tune "Sellinger's Round." It's a delightful piece and most welcome on this album. Most of the score is rather small, almost chamber like but when it goes big it's spectacular - check out the magnificent cues that bookend the score.

Marie Ward is an excellent score and it is surprisingly still in print. shocked This was part of the first batch of CD's released when Varese brought back the CD Club. Get it while you can.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … -1101-1003

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I loved that cue!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Fantastic Journey - Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops

Oh oh oh oh oh hee hee hee hee heeeee! Those first few low notes of the Batman theme... man, a spectacular score and what a way to open the album. This 15 minute suite from Batman is absolutely superb and perfectly performed The rest of the album is wonderful as well. Highlights include The Black Hole, The Boy Who Could Fly, the only commercial recording of Broughton's Moonwalker, The Beastmaster, the rousing The Last Starfighter and the best performance of "Escape From Venice" from The Last Crusade you will ever hear. Yes, even better than the original soundtrack recording. And the sound.... OOOOOOH THE SOUND! Glorious!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Oh oh oh oh oh hee hee hee hee heeeee! Those first few low notes of the Batman theme... man, a spectacular score and what a way to open the album. This 15 minute suite from Batman is absolutely superb and perfectly performed The rest of the album is wonderful as well. Highlights include The Black Hole, The Boy Who Could Fly, the only commercial recording of Broughton's Moonwalker, The Beastmaster, the rousing The Last Starfighter and the best performance of "Escape From Venice" from The Last Crusade you will ever hear. Yes, even better than the original soundtrack recording. And the sound.... OOOOOOH THE SOUND! Glorious!

-Erik-

A truly excellent work of magnificent proportions! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Eragon ~ Patrick Doyle
    I'm reading Brisingr the third book of Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Circle so i deemed to be the right background for my reading. To be honest though I think that next I'll play a more enjoyable score by Doyle: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Marie Ward - Elmer Bernstein

A fantastic Varese CD Club release. An optimistic, warm, dramatic score by the Maestro. Wonderful use of the angelic Ondes Martenot along with some beautiful oboe music. The choral music is centered around the 16th century English tune "Sellinger's Round." It's a delightful piece and most welcome on this album. Most of the score is rather small, almost chamber like but when it goes big it's spectacular - check out the magnificent cues that bookend the score.

Marie Ward is an excellent score and it is surprisingly still in print. shocked This was part of the first batch of CD's released when Varese brought back the CD Club. Get it while you can.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … -1101-1003

-Erik-

Can't believe this masterpiece is still in print. With some of the crap that sells out straight away, it's very surprising indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BILL BROWN - Command and Conquer : Generals

Although heavily influenced by BLACKHAWK DOWN, this score is a massive pleasure, especially the middle eastern pieces. Packed with melodies, themes and tight rhythms along with a massive amount of physical (acoustical) instruments and vocals, make this a very profound game score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

cool

Saving all my new stuff for a Saturday afternoon blowout.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

Easily the best action adventure score of 2008 and one of the Top 3 overall of 2008. Talgorn channels John Williams and the Golden Age greats - especially Milkos Rozsa for those phenomenal overtures and parade marches. The orchestrations are vibrant, the sound quality is superb and the finale cue - the almost 12 minute "La Course De Chars" action track - is one of the best cues written in 2008. This is film music just the way I like it!

-Erik-

An under-appreciated score. Talgorn channels Williams (and others) brilliantly.

NP: Miracle at St Anna (Terence Blanchard)

To be honest, I find the main theme slightly annoying. The arrangements are great, but it's been a while since I found a theme annoyed me the way this 4 note descending melody does.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

An under-appreciated score. Talgorn channels Williams (and others) brilliantly.

NP: Miracle at St Anna (Terence Blanchard)

To be honest, I find the main theme slightly annoying. The arrangements are great, but it's been a while since I found a theme annoyed me the way this 4 note descending melody does.

Sad thing is that it's significantly inferior to the gem that is A requiem for Katrina.
  2. Well, it's different enough in every respect that I wouldn't think to compare them, actually. That Blanchard - very few of his scores feel like he's doing the same thing as another. 25th Hour, Clockers, When the Levees Broke (Katrina), Inside Man, The Caveman's Valentine, Original Sin... they've all got scores that in form are very much about the films they go with. Some are more enjoyable than others, but I respect the shapeshifter in him.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

My FAV Kunzel! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

My FAV Kunzel! punk

My FAV wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know. You said. smile

I guess one of the main reasons I prefer Fantastic Journey is because it contains the only rerecording of Leith Stevens' War Of The Worlds. That, and a killer rendition of The Cantina Band.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I know. You said. smile

I guess one of the main reasons I prefer Fantastic Journey is because it contains the only rerecording of Leith Stevens' War Of The Worlds. That, and a killer rendition of The Cantina Band.

Funny... I skip over The Cantina Band.

As for War of the Worlds - there are more re-recordings of it.

I have three different suites all released by Silva Screen Records

The first is from Cinema Century 2000 and contains the Main Title and Prelude and runs 4:59
    The second is from The Science Fiction Album Vol 1 and contains the Main Title and Martian Man Dies and runs 4:13
    The last is from Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol 2 which is a suite that runs 10:40

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Reign of Fire - Edward Shearmur

Probably the most mean, raw, and down right angry score I've ever heard. A mix of Elliot Goldenthal's style and James Horner's Aliens. Superb, SUPERB, SUPERB film music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    The first is from Cinema Century 2000 and contains the Main Title and Prelude and runs 4:59
    The second is from The Science Fiction Album Vol 1 and contains the Main Title and Martian Man Dies and runs 4:13
    The last is from Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol 2 which is a suite that runs 10:40

I never even heard of any of these compilations.
    Any of 'em any good in your opinion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I never even heard of any of these compilations.
    Any of 'em any good in your opinion?

I'm not a big fan of Prague recordings but the Alien Invasion album has some solid performances and inspired selections. If you were only going to get one of the three I'd get this one. Highlights include the only commercial recording of Space: Above and Beyond, an orchestral version of the theme from Starman, a faithful recording of Arnold's ID4 with Nic Dodd conducting and the film version of Elfman's Mars Attacks Main Theme.

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Invasion-Sp … amp;sr=1-1

Cinema Century 2000 is 4CD compilation of themes and cues from the 20th century starting with King Kong and ending with The Mask of Zorro. Can't say I listen to this album. There are far better recordings on other albums that I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Century-20 … amp;sr=1-1

The Science Fiction Album again is a collection of Prague recordings in the Sci-Fi genre. It actually combines cues from the two Space and Beyond albums. Again, I've heard better recordings.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-A … amp;sr=1-1

Hope that helped?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hope that helped?

Certainly did! beer

I'll be looking into getting Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol 2!
    I know just the secondhand shop where I might be able to get my hands on it.

Cheers!