• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

One amazing ethnic and action score! A winner!! punk punk

Or how he always maintained that sparkle of creativity right up until the end, I wonder if he were still alive, would he have accepted to do The Mummy 3, and would it have been as mindblowing as the original. My guess is one big YES SIRREE punk

My heart says yes, my brain says no. It would be nice to think it would have been, but The Mummy was his last truly great score IMO, and with a film as bad as The Mummy 3 and his decline in creativeness during the new millennium, something tells me it wouldn't have been as good as The Mummy.

More importantly, who cares? I feel blessed to be able to listen to so much of the great music this genius produced in his wonderful career!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

Finally got to own it, after having it on CDR for many years. this is one gorgeous score, I don't know if Young ever composed something like this again, but it sure shows his remarkable talent for writing a deep emotional work, I remember seeing the film and just loving the score from the first viewing... It has that quality to it that glues you to the screen and enhances the story and characters it supports. Highly recommended and one of Young's best.

Indeed; i think it's pretty unique among his other scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Little Budah

Wow, superb dramatic scoring!
  1. I beg to differ about the millenium turn. I love Sum of All Fears!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Little Budah

Wow, superb dramatic scoring!

Is it as good as Sakamoto's LITTLE BUDDHA? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    SHE - Max Steiner

After watching the DVD of She my respect for this score has doubled! cool

I've still yet to get this.

Are you familiar with James Bernard's score Atham?

It's an excellent score Atham with a gorgeous yet ethereal / sinister theme for "she" and a superb Roman fanfare....it's actually amongst a few select scores I remember from when I "wasn't" a score fan as a child, this score scared me!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    SHE - Max Steiner

After watching the DVD of She my respect for this score has doubled! cool

I've still yet to get this.

Are you familiar with James Bernard's score Atham?

It's an excellent score Atham with a gorgeous yet ethereal / sinister theme for "she" and a superb Roman fanfare....it's actually amongst a few select scores I remember from when I "wasn't" a score fan as a child, this score scared me!

Ah what the hell.....

NP : SHE - James Bernard

Superb! cool
  2. Is it a remake of sorts? or one of the scores was replacement score?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is it a remake of sorts? or one of the scores was replacement score?

It was a 1966 Hammer re-make starring a stunning looking Ursula Andress. Great score though I can't compare it to the Steiner as I've never heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll have what he is having..!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A Powel overdose?

NP: Now, Voyager - The Classic Film Music Of Max Steiner (by The National Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Charles Gerhardt)

Gerhardt has ever been and shall ever be the primal wind beneath the wings of classic film score rerecordings. Not only has he done so MUCH, he has done it so WELL!
    Kong never sounded more alien and menacing, Bette Davis never sadder, the Light Brigade never more gallant.

It's not only absolutely fantastic music -and it really is, for all the general kidding about Steiner, he so knew how to weave a melody, and it's so clear how much he influenced the likes of Newman and Rozsa-, but it is also SO impeccably performed. The phrases "lush" and "Romantic" seem to take on a lustre of their own in light of these recordings.

I *love* these albums.

Honestly, there are no compilation albums like the Gerhardt ones.
    They're a class apart.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Powel or Pawel, snigger biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    :pawell:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Horton Hears a Who (Powell)

It's been a while since Ice Age 2 and Robots graced my CD player, but at the moment I'm thinking... much as I like those, this might just be his most entertaining animation album yet?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Horton Hears a Who (Powell)

It's been a while since Ice Age 2 and Robots graced my CD player, but at the moment I'm thinking... much as I like those, this might just be his most entertaining animation album yet?

shocked

You like? I am shocked, I have to admit.
  5. NP: "Music and Cinema: Michel Legrand" - Michel Legrand

I got the Yentl bug the other day and I hunted out this CD that features suites from 4 Legrand titles, including a 14-minute suite from Yentl.

The suites are for harp and orchestra and feature music from Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, Summer of '42, Yentl and The Go-Between.

I'm enjoying the Yentl suite but I've really taken to the music from The Go-Between - a score I have not come across before.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Horton Hears a Who (Powell)

shocked

You like? I am shocked, I have to admit.

shocked

Me too. All I can say is WE ARE HERE and Michael just joined us!

-ERik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Be afraid of the Hortonians shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Honestly, there are no compilation albums like the Gerhardt ones.
    They're a class apart.

Agreed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Be afraid of the Hortonians shocked

biggrin

"Hortonian" -> I love it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009 edited
    I'm a Hortonian and proud of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'm a Hortonian and proud of it.

biggrin
  6. There's so much spirit in HORTON. It's irrepressible. Could I listen to it twice in the same day? Probably not, but it's a lot of fun. wink

NP: Solaris (Edward Artemyev - the opposite extreme!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    NP: Largo Winch (Alexandre Desplat)

I suspect Desplat is the best active film composer in Hollywood these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

I was expected less comedic version of this score for Prince Caspian, combined with tender part of the first Narnia score. But it didn't happen (mostly because of the film's darker nature).

I also expected another Sinbad-ish adventurous score from Harry on Voyage Of The Dawn Trader (because it was supposed to be a film about a voyage!!), but Mr. Pattertwig won't return to Narnia sadly (at least for me).

So then I started expecting something brilliant form a composer who I'm not familiar with, but has very good reputation around here. But alas it might not happen because of today's depressed economy sad

Anyway, Sinbad is really fun score! Much more enjoyable than the film itself.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: scorenotes.com's Largo Winch Suite - Alexander Desplat

I really liked it... Now I want the full thing. I guess its a foreign film. I haven't heard a thing about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Brother Bear (official album) - Phil Collins & Mark Mancina

YES, I LOVE Phil Collins songs on this album. biggrin

Tell everybody I'm on my way...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

I was expected less comedic version of this score for Prince Caspian, combined with tender part of the first Narnia score. But it didn't happen (mostly because of the film's darker nature).

I also expected another Sinbad-ish adventurous score from Harry on Voyage Of The Dawn Trader (because it was supposed to be a film about a voyage!!), but Mr. Pattertwig won't return to Narnia sadly (at least for me).

So then I started expecting something brilliant form a composer who I'm not familiar with, but has very good reputation around here. But alas it might not happen because of today's depressed economy sad

Anyway, Sinbad is really fun score! Much more enjoyable than the film itself.

Yup, it's one of Harry's more enjoyable scores.

BTW, great new avatar icon, Miya! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Frost/Nixon - Hans Zimmer

My new favourite Zimmer score! punk