• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Is it a hommage though? I admit i was disturbed when i listened to it. If it's a proven hommage then, admitted by the composer, things change though. Otherwise it's another case of sneaky copy-pasting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009 edited
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia ~ Prince Caspian

I rented the film to watch tonight and I want to remember the music a bit. To be honest I stick to what I had said last time we were all discussing about it: I prefer The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrode. Much more captivating as far as I am conserned.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Well, it's so obvious, far more obvious than his reference to the Shostakovitch waltz in the SHELLFISH score, that I figure it has to be a homage. (Otherwise he's an idiot, and he doesn't seem like a fool.) It doesn't matter to me in this case, as he's not hiding the inspiration at all. I must admit, I'm never bothered when something THAT famous is quoted. Did Philippe Rombi reference Beethoven's 5th on JEUX D'ENFANTS when he quoted it? wink

And it is one track out of a score with a lot more to offer.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well you got a point there. To tell you the truth, i never understand the meaning of such actions. Do you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGES DELERUE - tours de monde tours de ciel, followed by GABRIEL YARED - Cold mountain.

Truth to be told, and no matter how much i enjoyed certain released from the recent years, nobody writes in such a fashion anymore. Apart from very rare cases, like Desplat for instance. Is it a change of eras? Is it something deeper related to composers', cinema's and film music's quality? Who knows. But regardless, i am glad those works DO exist for us to enjoy, even from the past.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Well you got a point there. To tell you the truth, i never understand the meaning of such actions. Do you?

Well the music is recognisable, and by quoting it, you can play on that association. Parody is dramatically useful.

Christodoulides wrote
    GEORGES DELERUE - tours de monde tours de ciel, followed by GABRIEL YARED - Cold mountain.

Truth to be told, and no matter how much i enjoyed certain released from the recent years, nobody writes in such a fashion anymore. Apart from very rare cases, like Desplat for instance. Is it a change of eras? Is it something deeper related to composers', cinema's and film music's quality? Who knows. But regardless, i am glad those works DO exist for us to enjoy, even from the past.

COLD MOUNTAIN wasn't that long ago. 2003. wink Besides, I'm not sure there ever were many that wrote like Delerue before he came along anyway. You could say that an era has passed, or you could say that Georges Delerue has passed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    6 years back is a significant amount of time wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Music for James L. Brooks Comedies and More - Hans Zimmer

Now my custom compilation has an appropriate cover! biggrin

All tracks are my favorites. First track is one of the reasons why I became a Zimmer fan! smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. And The Lives of Others, and L'Avion? I'll put it this way... Yared is not dead yet. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Last Crusade John Williams

Help me Williams complete this bloody essay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Ponyo / Cliff / Sea (Hisaishi - not sure how the title goes)

Once again, Joe Hisashi proves he's the Japanese John Williams! (Hi Joep!) wink

J/k. Look, it's a really nice score. He could do this sort of thing with his eyes closed, and yet it doesn't sound terribly like Spirited Away, which you'd expect. The hommage to 'Flight of the Valkyries' is a lot of fun, and there's strong melodies running through the well-orchestrated whole. It sits nicely alongside his other strong recent work.

Christodoulides wrote
    Is it a hommage though? I admit i was disturbed when i listened to it. If it's a proven hommage then, admitted by the composer, things change though. Otherwise it's another case of sneaky copy-pasting.

I consider Flight Of Ponyo as an obvious parody, rather than a hommage. Because, aside from the track title, Ponyo (the main character, fishgirl) is called Brunhild by her father. I also heard the storyline has some more similarities with The Ring of the Nibelung, though I don't know about that mythology in detail.

And yes, he can be called the Japanese John Williams, because of his popularity. Most Japanese people can recognize the Mononoke theme. And perhaps he's known more than JW, especially among younger people (aka the Ghibli generation).

He also can be called the Japanese Alan Menken or Sharman Brothers, 'cause his Ghibli songs are really popular. Children sing them in school, learn to play on piano or recorder, and so on.

I also call him the Japanese Hans Zimmer, because he has thousands of dedicated fans, as well as some antis (not so many as Z's, though) tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why not call him Joe Hisaishi instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Because it's not his real name. tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hisaishi wink

Actually his real name is very... ordinary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So he's an average Joe, eh? tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia ~ Prince Caspian

I rented the film to watch tonight and I want to remember the music a bit. To be honest I stick to what I had said last time we were all discussing about it: I prefer The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrode. Much more captivating as far as I am conserned.

I prefer LWW too!

NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

A lovely score by the maestro! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ indeed!

CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - something the lord made

Beautiful, charming and sexy. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

FUCK I hate writing essays on crap I don't give a shit about. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Stepmom - John Williams

I don't have anything to say particularly on this score... it's just pleasant. I mean it's good. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Now now, that's no way to talk about Williams 'The Last Crusade' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Brilliant NP's D beer

As is this sublime score....

NP : THE MISSION - Ennio Morricone

Beautiful beyond mere words. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Now now, that's no way to talk about Williams 'The Last Crusade' wink

If it was an essay on that, I'd have written a thousand essays by now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Robocop (Poledouris)

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Transformers - Steve Jablonsky

Though most of the rest of the album is quite generic MV stuff (though enjoyable), Arrival To Earth is a very beautiful piece of score I really loved!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Joe Hisaishi

Magnificent stuff. Very lush and heartwarming. Love the chorus and solo violin performances.
    My most Favorite track is #21 and the title of that cue is... I don't know, it's written in Japanese!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Largo Winch (Desplat)

Im playing it, finally.

It goes from the now boring Desplat typical writting, to Arnold's Godzilla to Powell's Agent Cody Banks

dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If you say so. uhm

Desplat = boring? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Desplat = boring? shocked

You should be used to this from Jordi by now. dizzy
  4. NP: DEFIANCE James Newton Howard

Really nice score, but I can't place this one above The Village, I just can't shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Christodoulides wrote

I'd disagree with you on this one Demetris. Only because there are times when I'm randomly listening to my "favourite tracks" playlist on my mp3 player and a track will come on where I think it's an obscure Delerue track - only to find that it's something composed by Ángel Illarramendi.

I find this happening quite regularly, so I'd say that Illarramendi does compose in the "Delerue style." When I have some specific examples I'll let you know.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Alien 3 (Elliot Goldenthal)

The one score that made me fall in love with Goldenthal's music, I mean he has a unique way of telling stories through the form of atmospheric incoherence and dissonance... But there is a incredible thematic genius at work as well, and Alien 3 is full of these two sides of the spectrum. I love this man for his remarkable talent and originality.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.