• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    NP : VAMPIRE CIRCUS : THE ESSENTIAL VAMPIRE THEME COLLECTION - Various Artists

A great compilation by Silva of vampiric film scores and all the selections are from the original scores and features works by the likes of Gerald Fried, David Whitaker, Daniel Licht, Brad Fiedel, Lee Holdridge, Cliff Eidelman, Richard Stone and others. A very satisfying listen.

More vamping with my fave vamp score.........

NP : BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Without Apparent Motive (Ennio Morricone)

Not one of his best, a rather average piece which of course is understandable considering the gigantic scores he writes year per year
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Southall wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Is "the conveyor belt" cue a bonus download? Wasn't on my CD.

It was a bonus track on some editions of the album. It's an excellent action cue! (But sadly just stuck on the end of the album, rather irritatingly.)

Wasn't a segment of "On The Conveyor Belt" used in one of the trailers in Attack of The Clones? BTW, this cue is one of the definite highlights of the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    There is a CD compilation called Verso la gioia by Frisina which contains music written for the Bible series and some other religious TV movies. That CD is awesome, I just cannot listen to it enough. Actually my growing interest in Frisina's music is due to this CD. It comes highly recommended!

Fully agree! That is a very good compilation.
    It took me a while to track down all the Bibbia scores. I'll say that La Giacobbe (Jacob) is the best of the Frisina-Bibbia cds.

If you like a bit of vocals then try his album Alba Romana. I think it was used for a TV documentary on Italian culture. Enchanting stuff! smile

He did another recent (2007) score for Chiara E Francesco that's good too.
    And there's a new Frisina cd out- Puccini. Haven't received it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Without Apparent Motive (Ennio Morricone)

Not one of his best, a rather average piece which of course is understandable considering the gigantic scores he writes year per year

Senza Motiva Apparente? I haven't heard it. His giallo and poliziotta scores are not easy listens for me.
    Wasn't it Bertolucci who said that Morricone was akin to a factory when referring to his 70s output?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP The Lazarus Project (Brian Tyler)

Really interesting work by Tyler. He forgets (for once) his big, brassy action scores and goes for the atmospheric way, creating a great mood through all the score. The main theme (and its many variations) that leds the score is as simple as beautiful and the (few) outbursts of action are welcomed and are Tyler-ish without being over the top.
    Honestly, a score I didn´t pay much atention to while watching the movie and has surprised me as a listening experience.

I haven't heard on CD but in the movie it was a MAJOR, UNINTERESTING snoozer.

Oh...Im shocked since I know You like Atmospheric scores.

NP:The Dark Knigh (Zimmer and Howard)

Industrial Sound. I like it. Perfect for the movie.

I have to problems to listen the 16 minutes string adagio with the final reprised of the Batman's iconic motif tongue

No, i like GOOD atmosphere in music; as in organic, meaningful. Not meaningless thriller-ish synth drone. I hate that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

cool

Only one adjective comes to mind:

FANTASTIC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James, is that Donaggio a new score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Body Double - Pino Donaggio

Watched the (ridiculous!) film the other day. Great scoring.

Gaah! As a DePalma fan and a Pinooooo fan it's one of my favorite movies. Craig Wasson is perfect as the loser-in-life character. Sure, some of it is corny. But there are some lovely montage scenes. That opening scene with the main credits is awesome with the lush Pino music. Heck, I love everything in this movie!

Demetris,
    It's a 1984 movie by DePalma. Intrada released the score recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! How is it like? Morricone-ish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    BhelPuri wrote
    It took me a while to track down all the Bibbia scores.

Do you have a list which ones are or were available?

I'll say that La Giacobbe (Jacob) is the best of the Frisina-Bibbia cds.

If you like a bit of vocals then try his album Alba Romana. I think it was used for a TV documentary on Italian culture. Enchanting stuff! smile

He did another recent (2007) score for Chiara E Francesco that's good too.
    And there's a new Frisina cd out- Puccini. Haven't received it yet.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I´ll check them out sooner or later, if possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks! How is it like? Morricone-ish?

It's Pino-ish. There's a melodic side (his standard lyrical flute/oboe over a lush strings) and a thriller side (Hermannesque strings, staccato jabs and all that). Do check the samples on Intrada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Most of Pino-ish IS Morricone-ish anyway wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Most of Pino-ish IS Morricone-ish anyway wink

Not to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote
    Body Double - Pino Donaggio

Watched the (ridiculous!) film the other day. Great scoring.

Gaah! As a DePalma fan and a Pinooooo fan it's one of my favorite movies. Craig Wasson is perfect as the loser-in-life character. Sure, some of it is corny. But there are some lovely montage scenes. That opening scene with the main credits is awesome with the lush Pino music. Heck, I love everything in this movie!

I'm a gigantic DePalma fan myself. It's a completely entertaining film. Wasson is very good. But you must admit, it's a bit ridiculous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek Nemesis - Jerry Goldsmith

The best presentation of this excellent score would be somewhere in between the Varese album and the expanded boot. Perhaps some day I'll take the time to work out what exactly how to do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

The best presentation of this excellent score...

cough.... cough.... cough. Sorry, choked on my coffee! Excellent score? lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Calm down there boy. Everyone's got an opinion. Southall just happens to have the right one. wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Calm down there boy. Everyone's got an opinion. Southall just happens to have the right one. wave

Ya.... NO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I actually DO enjoy ST: Nemesis. Odds and Ends and Remus are really cool cues.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I knew SOMEONE would bite! But yes, I think it's excellent. I've been waiting over five years for someone to write an action cue as good as The Scorpion (or indeed Final Flight). I suspect I'll be waiting a lot more years yet.

I know it's not a very popular score; what I don't really understand is how the same people who don't like this one, tend to like Timeline (when they're virtually the same score!)
  5. No, saying that they're virtually the same score is exaggerating, I think. I like both.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I knew SOMEONE would bite! But yes, I think it's excellent. I've been waiting over five years for someone to write an action cue as good as The Scorpion (or indeed Final Flight). I suspect I'll be waiting a lot more years yet.

Generic vomit

Southall wrote
    I know it's not a very popular score; what I don't really understand is how the same people who don't like this one, tend to like Timeline (when they're virtually the same score!)

I hate Timeline even more!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No, saying that they're virtually the same score is exaggerating, I think. I like both.

So do I. They're VERY similar, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Generic vomit

Lol. If only there were another composer who was as good on his best day at writing action music as Goldsmith was on his worst.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Generic vomit

Lol. If only there were another composer who was as good on his best day at writing action music as Goldsmith was on his worst.

Amen to THAT bro beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Only one adjective comes to mind:

FANTASTIC.

beer

As much as I love Williams and Goldenthal's efforts in the vampire genre, Kilar's for me is above and beyond. Only James Bernard's Dracula scores come close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Generic vomit

rolleyes

That statement may work else where but not with Nemesis! What an incredibly dull, dull score that I can't believe it was written for a Star Trek film. This is Star Trek music at its absolutely worst especially compared to what Goldsmith came up with on previous efforts... even Insurrection! There are many, many composers out there... even the B-listers and C-listers... that have written finer material than what Goldsmith came up with for Nemesis!

-Erik-
  6. NP: Hostel Part II - Nathan Barr

Although this score wouldn't suggest it the cue entitled "Suite ("Amid A Crowd of Stars")" is a truly beautiful composition.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009 edited
    About ST Nemesis, I enjoy it. But If i have to listen this kind of score I prefer pick Total Recall.

The action music is more vibrant here than in Insurrection, but while "Scorpion" is pretty cool, you are over reacition, James. But I guess you will say some day the same about some Horner or Newman action cue tongue

I was Playing: Medicine Man (Goldsmith)

When I want to travel to the Amazon, it is the best score!

Tracks like "first morning" are the best atmospheric use of synth from Goldsmith.

Of course The Trees theme is gorgeous, but also excelent is the Total Recall Danger motig.

NP:Power Of One (Zimmer)

I'm not a fan of African music. So I never payed very much attention to this score....But today for some reason, I really enjoy it!

There are plenty of Pure Zimmer rythms here!

"mother Africa Reprise" beer