• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Das Boot - Klaus Doldinger

Earlier I was playing Hellraiser by Christopher Young, The Fall of the Roman Empire by Dimitri Tiomkin, and The Burbs by Jerry Goldsmith.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    I was playing: E.T (williams)

Superb.Touching.Gorgeous.

NP:The Holliday (Zimmer, Zimmer and Company)

One of my favourites from Zimmer. While As good as it gets or Spanglish has a most dramatic touch, "the hollyday" is a celebration of love.

Properly arranged with the annoying Pereira tracks, this score is a real Winner. Specially "maestro", "dream kitchen","definetly unexpexted" and "cry".
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    Paycheck | John Powell

cool

'Nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: SHE - James Bernard

Thanks Timmer for leading me to this 1965 version of SHE.
    I only have the five cue suite version which goes about 25 minutes.
    But I really am impressed with it!
    Bernard's score is quite different to Steiner's 1935 classic but still very symphonic and quite grand!
    Very nice indeed! I might try and get the full score someday. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Lost Odyssey (custom album) (Nobuo Uematsu)

This is great a videogame score! I basically took the orchestral tracks from the soundtrack, which is also full of synthesized but not as good music. From Uematsu, whenever he composes something for orchestra you can bet it will sound stunning. Full of melodic loveliness and rousing fanfares it's music every fan of film music can find something in they will like. And the main theme with the female vocal is simply adorable.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Jerry Goldsmith)

40 minutes of big fun on a small round disc. punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Paycheck | John Powell

cool

'Nuff said.

Yeah... beer

NP:Alias Season 2

Darker, and more orchestral. The last action tracks seems the ealier composition for M:I 3.

"inferno" is one of the best dramatic tracks from Michael.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

Bernard's score is quite different to Steiner's 1935 classic but still very symphonic and quite grand!

biggrin beer

What album is the 25 minute suite on?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SECRET OF THE SAHARA - Ennio Morricone

Magnificent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. justin boggan wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still (Tyler Bates)

Now I know why I was asleep when seeing this movie, my god it is even more worse on CD than I expected

Indeed. I´ve just listened "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Movie music at its worst.

indeed, pffff vomit

Bregt, don't worry, I will not review this score biggrin

Maybe his second "no stars" review. ;-)

did I have a first "no stars" review? smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. DreamTheater wrote

This is great a videogame score! I basically took the orchestral tracks from the soundtrack, which is also full of synthesized but not as good music. From Uematsu, whenever he composes something for orchestra you can bet it will sound stunning. Full of melodic loveliness and rousing fanfares it's music every fan of film music can find something in they will like. And the main theme with the female vocal is simply adorable.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Jerry Goldsmith)

40 minutes of big fun on a small round disc. punk punk punk punk

Ohhhh, Gremlins, or how a score can simply be so FUN punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

It's been a while since my last listen but this is truly a great work by Howard. The theme is goosebump inducing and those moments of choir in The Pier are spectacular. Brilliant stuff.

cool
  4. Back to Titanic (James Horner & Various artists)

Ok this will never be as good as the regular score, but the opening and closing suites are damn fine, and some of the music as featured in the film puts you in the right depressing mood, I figured after seeing the film again and being in a little Titanic aftershock I might as well put this on. There are much worse things I can do with my time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Corpse Bride ~ Danny Elfman
    Courtesy of my dear Martijn! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote

Ah, he's so predictable. I think someone's smitten. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    Playlist for today -

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    Kung Fu Panda (HZ and John Powell)
    Dinosaur (JNH)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (JNH)
    Raiders of The Lost Ark from the Indy box set (maestro Williams)
    Memoirs of a Geisha (Williams again)
    LoTR: Return of The King (Howard Shore)

All of those scores are amazing. Sounds like you're going to have a good day!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh cool. I might play the game eventually, and if I do, I'm sure I'll love the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Largo Winch Alexendre Desplat

Definitely adding this to my top scores of the year along with (and brace yourself for this...)

*DUM DUM DUM*

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

biggrin beer

The album is The Devil Rides Out - Horror, Adventure And Romance

Westminster Philharmonic Orchestra & The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Conducted by Paul Bateman and Nic Raine.
    Released in 1996
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Someone rather has too many scores too easily available.
    Someone else maybe appears rather overly fascinated with a certain interaction, though?

'Jealousy' is maybe too harsh a word....
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Largo Winch Alexendre Desplat

Definitely adding this to my top scores of the year along with (and brace yourself for this...)

*DUM DUM DUM*

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button! shocked

While Largo is a better score there is still something missing from Desplat's music that doesn't do it for me. Not sure what it is...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. NP: Some tracks from Australia (Hirschfelder)

This reminds me most of old scores like Birth of a Nation, where the score was a blend of many known pieces of music orchestrated together with some original material. This is only about 25 minutes of score, but I suspect people would like the album if it were released with more of this. The highlight among these cues is the big band jazz version of 'Waltzing Matilda', our unofficial national anthem.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Someone rather has too many scores too easily available.
    Someone else maybe appears rather overly fascinated with a certain interaction, though?

'Jealousy' is maybe too harsh a word....
    wink

The only thing I'm jealous of is Bregt's bloody lead in the latest score clip game. slant Anyway, where was I.. Pistols at dawn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't do mornings. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eight o'clock. I do my killing after breakfast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't do breakfast either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Some tracks from Australia (Hirschfelder)

This reminds me most of old scores like Birth of a Nation, where the score was a blend of many known pieces of music orchestrated together with some original material. This is only about 25 minutes of score, but I suspect people would like the album if it were released with more of this. The highlight among these cues is the big band jazz version of 'Waltzing Matilda', our unofficial national anthem.

Nothing special in the promo. Wonder if the quality of the rest of the material warrants an official release. I did like the opening bombing cue though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. That's funny, because the bombing cue was the one I hated. (It's such an obvious way to score that scene... can't remember off the top of my head if it contained the redux of Part's 'Cantus in memory of benjamin britten' as it does in the film.)

NP: The Reader (Nico Muhly)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Eight o'clock. I do my killing after breakfast.

When you've got to shoot, shoot! Don't talk.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009 edited
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

biggrin beer

The album is The Devil Rides Out - Horror, Adventure And Romance

Westminster Philharmonic Orchestra & The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Conducted by Paul Bateman and Nic Raine.
    Released in 1996

Of course! ( I have that album myself )

Try and pick up the original Atham, it's great. It also includes Mario Nascimbene's The Vengence of She which is nowhere near as good but does have some moments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2009
    NP : DEADFALL - John Barry

Along with Shire's The Taking of Pelham 123 was this FSM's first CD release? ( though not under the FSM banner ) Anyway this is a great score and includes the 14 minute Romance For Guitar and Orchestra used to underscore the robbery sequence taking place next door to the concert hall with Barry conducting on the big screen, a brilliant acchievement by any composers standards.