• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL- Hancock

Quick, skip, click, shift, jump to the last 2 cues, the beautiful Death And Transfiguration and The moon and the superhero and throw the rest in the recycle bin wink

While those two cues are indeed stunning it's a shame to see people skip pass the rest of the album to get to those cues. IMHO, Hancock was one of the finest efforts of 2008!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote
    I want BOLT... complete or not... but I want to see the film first... but it's not coming here until next August crazy

Nah, just listen to it anyway, it's great fun!

The problem is, because I have high expectation of the film itself (since it was called American Dog!), I want to avoid spoilers. But I've heard a couple of tracks at SST, and they are, really, *hamster voice* awesome.

Maybe I'll try official release... Is it in chronological order? If not, it won't spoil so much.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote
    I want BOLT... complete or not... but I want to see the film first... but it's not coming here until next August crazy

Nah, just listen to it anyway, it's great fun!

The problem is, because I have high expectation of the film itself (since it was called American Dog!), I want to avoid spoilers. But I've heard a couple of tracks at SST, and they are, really, *hamster voice* awesome.

Maybe I'll try official release... Is it in chronological order? If not, it won't spoil so much.

It is in chronological order, yes. The film is no masterpiece, but you'll likely fall in love with the characters as I did, helped along by Powell's score.

Trust me, the promo is more than twice as good as the official album simply because it's more than twice the length of the official album. Such a fun score with some 'classic' Powell action cues.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    [b]Miya wrote[/b

AVOID the official release at all costs. It's got some of the sloppiest editing I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL- Hancock

Quick, skip, click, shift, jump to the last 2 cues, the beautiful Death And Transfiguration and The moon and the superhero and throw the rest in the recycle bin wink

While those two cues are indeed stunning it's a shame to see people skip pass the rest of the album to get to those cues. IMHO, Hancock was one of the finest efforts of 2008!

-Erik-

I've heard innumerable times my friend but still can't understand WHY you say it's such a score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL- Hancock

-Erik-

I've heard innumerable times my friend but still can't understand WHY you say it's such a score.

Well, for one I think it worked brilliantly in the picture... which is where I first heard the score. Secondly, I absolutely love the development of the main theme from the urban, rough around the edges sound to a more traditional heroic theme at the end of the picture. It fits the drama like a glove and is a great example of a score that continues to build upon itself until the final two cues where everything inevitably comes together. I think it's a fine, fine modern action adventure score that incorporates the traditional symphonic approach with a perfect blend of contemporary elements. There is no one out there that does it better than Powell. I feel like a lot of time and care was put into the creation of the score to find the right voice musically for the character of Hancock. Powell did just that and created a fantastic, original, coherent, memorable work!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The score for Hancock definitely works better in the movie than on CD. Luckily, the CD saves the massive action cues which are horribly chopped up in the film, so you really need to hear the score in both places!

Btw, for anyone that's interested with Bolt, the Oscar promo is missing 3 short (and totally un-noteworthy) cues, "Moving Out" has a slightly longer intro in the film, and "Meet The Director" has a slightly longer ending. Aside from that, it's everything.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU ( aka QUEST FOR FIRE ) - Philippe Sarde

By the gods but that first track, Creation of Fire, with the combined forces of the LSO and full choir still sends shivers up and down my spine!

Fabulous score full of colourful orchestration, one of those scores that reveals something new on each successive play.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Time for some bunny killing (sorry bunny sad biggrin )

Hans Zimmer - The Lion King

Great score, if it only was orchestrated better it'd be one of the best ever. Still it's one of the best scores of 1990s.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bolt(promo) (John Powell)
    shocked
    That´s a whole new experience. One realises how bad the official cd is.
    74 minutes of Powell´s animation / action writing. Swwwweet!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Some poncy friggin plays going on here tonight, time to put something less "silky boy" on....

I can't wait until you come back thismorning and find out nothing's changed. biggrin

Thing's can only get.....oh wait rolleyes slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU ( aka QUEST FOR FIRE ) - Philippe Sarde

By the gods but that first track, Creation of Fire, with the combined forces of the LSO and full choir still sends shivers up and down my spine!

Fabulous score full of colourful orchestration, one of those scores that reveals something new on each successive play.

Just listening to track 11 Quest For Fire ( Love Theme ) and it really struck me that the string writing in this is very John Williams like with a touch of Aram Khakaturian thrown in!? Very beautiful, complex and powerful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett

Look at Me....
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dino bhangra dino dino
    dino dinodino dino dino
    I am being surrounded shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Look at Me....
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dinodino dino dino

Let me help!

dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dinodino dino dino
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Look at Me....
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dinodino dino dino

Let me help!

dino dino dino dino dino
    dino dinodino dino dino

Great thinking! biggrin

You dancing on my head is giving the illusion of greater size beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yeah! And remember your magic darts in case we need them tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote

The Dinos are the least of my problems with a friggin high pitched burglar alarm continuing un-checked across the road from me slant

Magic dart fail sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

The Dinos are the least of my problems with a friggin high pitched burglar alarm continuing un-checked across the road from me slant

Magic dart fail sad

Hahaha....try with a stone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Magic dart fail sad

Hahaha....try with a stone.

Don't tempt me wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Erik's Radio Show

Listened to most of this this morning, now listening to the last hour and have just enjoyed the magnificent Dark City by Trevor Jones cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Listened to most of this this morning, now listening to the last hour and have just enjoyed the magnificent Dark City by Trevor Jones cool

Wicked! Haven't received a lot of feedback yet on the new programs. Have you had a chance to listen to the Best of 2008 show? Did you like the format of the 12th Anniversary show?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wicked! Haven't received a lot of feedback yet on the new programs. Have you had a chance to listen to the Best of 2008 show? Did you like the format of the 12th Anniversary show?

-Erik-

I still haven't got around to listening to you're Best of 2008 show yet Erik ( probaly tomorrow while I cook Sunday dinner ), enjoyed the latest one though, bravo cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    The score for Hancock definitely works better in the movie than on CD. Luckily, the CD saves the massive action cues which are horribly chopped up in the film, so you really need to hear the score in both places!

Btw, for anyone that's interested with Bolt, the Oscar promo is missing 3 short (and totally un-noteworthy) cues, "Moving Out" has a slightly longer intro in the film, and "Meet The Director" has a slightly longer ending. Aside from that, it's everything.

Well, it might, but i have no interest to watch that movie. At all, so i guess i'll never find out wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Bolt(promo) (John Powell)
    shocked
    One realises how bad the official cd is.

Well, it was Disney's wasn't it? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Well, it might, but i have no interest to watch that movie. At all, so i guess i'll never find out wink

A fun popcorn flick! Check it out sometime! It surprised even me! Great sense of humour, a couple of surprises and one hell of a finale!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

A fun popcorn flick! Check it out sometime! It surprised even me! Great sense of humour, a couple of surprises and one hell of a finale!

-Erik-

When I saw it at the cinema I thought it was ok...not great, but ok. Then last week I rented it on Blu-ray and both my parents asked if they could watch it too. I said "sure, but I don't think it's going to be your copy of tea". They freakin' loved it (even more than I did I think!)
  2. Copy of tea? Isn't it CUP of tea? bunny
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Quiet, I've been up for 19 hours straight. I can afford to make mistakes now. tongue
  3. Why is THAT?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've been having real trouble sleeping this week. I woke up really early and couldn't nod off again. sad