• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Do you have some herbs? I recommend valeriana.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Bolt(promo) (John Powell)
    shocked
    That´s a whole new experience. One realises how bad the official cd is.
    74 minutes of Powell´s animation / action writing. Swwwweet!

Yes, it is good. The action writting is terrific, reminds me to Agent Cody Banks.

But overall, this scores is too old fashioned. Too John Debney / Randy Newman for Disney Movies. I'm really afraid that Powell goes to this way, instead his scores with more personality (Horton, Robots, Ice age2..)

I don't want to be missuderstood. It has Catchy themes and Vibran action writting, but this score is the real first powell animation score wich I find full of mickey mousing.

NP:BOlt Promo (powell)

The Agent Cody banks "homenages" are sweet as heaven!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Quest For Fire - Philippe Sarde

Most excellent! Love the pan flute version of the love theme! Some great epic action material. Sweeping themes! Superb film music! And I adore the sound of an Eric Tomlinson/London Symphony/early 80's recording! I love those recordings so much that I have John Williams' Monsignor coming up next!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL- Hancock

Quick, skip, click, shift, jump to the last 2 cues, the beautiful Death And Transfiguration and The moon and the superhero and throw the rest in the recycle bin wink

While those two cues are indeed stunning it's a shame to see people skip pass the rest of the album to get to those cues. IMHO, Hancock was one of the finest efforts of 2008!

-Erik-

The score took me several listens to warm up to. But now I love it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

Yes! Powell streaming Barry = win! cool
  2. NP: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - James Horner

I listen to the cues of the Intrada release made of the old bootleg album. Cannot believe how many people complain about this in the Intrada forum. This new album sounds great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Cinderella Man

The last great Newman score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Followed by what i consider one of the brightest examples of modern film music, ANGELS IN AMERICA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Project X - James Horner

There's lots of material here that would later be re-purposed for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (see Chimp Rumble), and an amusing section where the end title from Star Wars is juxtaposed with the main theme from Goldsmith's The Blue Max.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Followed by what i consider one of the brightest examples of modern film music, ANGELS IN AMERICA.

Santalollaololao and Rahman should given Newman their Oscars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    God that's such a fanboy thing to say. shame
  3. Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - James Horner

I listen to the cues of the Intrada release made of the old bootleg album. Cannot believe how many people complain about this in the Intrada forum. This new album sounds great.

Considering how good the boot sounds, I can only imagine how the Intrada release will be. Waiting for SAE to ship it...

Searching for Bobby Fischer (James Horner)

I need me a soothing film score now, I'm just not in the state of mind for bombast... This'll do just fine. Of course it's full of referenced material (both from before and after) but I don't mind, I quite like this kind of understated sentimental scoring from Horner.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Babylon A.D.- atli Orvarsson Ok, this score rules in every way. I'm looking forward to future projects of this Orvarsson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: BOLT - John Powell

Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    Maybe I'll try official release... Is it in chronological order? If not, it won't spoil so much.

AVOID the official release at all costs. It's got some of the sloppiest editing I've ever heard.

I'm listening to the official release right now. It didn't cost me anything for some reason wink

I haven't seen the film yet, but I can see it's horribly edited. kill:mickey:

I do love the main theme. Bolt Transforms is fully awesome! cheesy I'm sure there will be more awesomeness in the promo release... which I have in my harddisk now, for some reason. Unopened. Unplayed. I'm patient. I wait. I can wait!!!! crazy crazy crazy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes! Powell streaming Barry = win! cool

NP:Bolt (powell)

Wow....when the piano and the saxo are out of the equation (dammed, it reminds me so much to Newman scores! )

THE ACTION WRITTING IS POWELL COMING BACK TO HIS OLD DAYS!!! beer beer beer beer

GUESS: Powell has became a too over the top in his orchestration in the last years, and after Kung FU Panda , probably Zimmer redirected a little bit Powell, and He balanced a little bit his excessive orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    Maybe I'll try official release... Is it in chronological order? If not, it won't spoil so much.

AVOID the official release at all costs. It's got some of the sloppiest editing I've ever heard.

I'm listening to the official release right now. It didn't cost me anything for some reason wink

I haven't seen the film yet, but I can see it's horribly edited. kill :mickey:

I do love the main theme. Bolt Transforms is fully awesome! cheesy I'm sure there will be more awesomeness in the promo release... which I have in my harddisk now, for some reason. Unopened. Unplayed. I'm patient. I wait. I can wait!!!! crazy crazy crazy

Don't get too used to 'Scooter Chase' on the official album. If I were you, I'd save listening to it until you play the promo with the proper fully awesome version on! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Don't get too used to 'Scooter Chase' on the official album. If I were you, I'd save listening to it until you play the promo with the proper fully awesome version on! cheesy

Is it diferent from the official album? i never heard this track very much, because it reminded me too much to Italian Job chase.

So I can't see if it's diferent..

Dammed agent cody Banks marches in Bolt like are punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Is it diferent from the official album? i never heard this track very much, because it reminded me too much to Italian Job chase.

So you can't listen to it because it sounds like some other action track by the same composer? Wow. Sucks to be you.

So I can't see if it's diferent..

It is. Personally, I think the official album version is fine.... but the film version is even better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

I watched the clip of the Chase scene many many times, so I know how awesome it is. I really can't wait to see the film.

NP: songs of wild birds - nature

No, it's not a Horner piece. I'm preparing for next bird research I have to do...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christoph wrote
    Babylon A.D.- atli Orvarsson Ok, this score rules in every way. I'm looking forward to future projects of this Orvarsson.

I'd not say it "rules" but i DO like it a lot, especially the strongest parts of it, the grand and densely orchestrated variations of the dies irae.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Meet Joe Black Thomas Newman

Newman is famous for very understated scoring, but there's a side to him (i.e. not so understated) I wish he'd explore more often, and it's positively brimming with it in this score.

'That Next Place' is the piece of music I want to play when I get into heaven.*

*wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Meet Joe Black Thomas Newman

Newman is famous for very understated scoring, but there's a side to him (i.e. not so understated) I wish he'd explore more often, and it's positively brimming with it in this score.

'That Next Place' is the piece of music I want to play when I get into heaven.*

*wink

COULDN'T AGREE MORE. Meet Joe Black, so melodic and heartfelt...what a gorgeous main theme as well! Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

cough... cough... WALL-E

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: That Next Place from Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

I'm easily influenced...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - James Horner

You have it already!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. No, I listen to a newly arranged bootleg album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    No, I listen to a newly arranged bootleg album.

Ahhhh! I figured it was a bit soon. wink

NP : SUPERGIRL - Jerry Goldsmith

After listening to Erik's show yesterday I've got a taste for playing this wonderful Goldsmith score today, the synths work very well in this score and seem to give it a "Yin" to Williams "Yang" for Superman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Centered In The Universe - Alan Ett, Scott Liggett & William Ashford

Apparently this music was composed for a show at the Samuel Oschin Planetarium which is at the Griffith Observatory in Southern California. It's quite atmospheric stuff with a couple of source music-type cues. There's a couple of times where there is a 4-note motif that reminds me of theme to The Six-Million Dollar Man!

Audio clips: http://www.amazon.com/Centered-Universe … amp;sr=8-2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: The Unborn (Ramin Djawadi)

Why?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

I haven't seen the film yet, but I can see it's horribly edited. kill :mickey:

I never could. I had an almost complete version of it before the CD came out and vomited (literally tongue well ok, maybe not) when I heard the cuts. They cut out a few bars for no apparent reason, merge (just fade actually) parts 1 + 2 together and miss off the ending completely. Curse you Dave Metzger!!

Does anyone love but hate at the same time the blatant Santalleolalalaoela-ism's at the end of "On The Lot"? biggrin