• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Saints and Soldiers (J Bateman and Bart Hendrickson)

Soft elegant war score, so far nothing loudly or action wise, but the small moments do remind me of Horner at times (perhaps meant to be)

Wow, who told you about this one? I love the film, but it's one of the least well known American films to come out in the last few years. I'm surprised you were listening to the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Bullitt Lalo Schifrin

cool <-most apt use of that emoticon

^
    ^
    ^
    FACT!!!!! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Planet Earth - George Fenton

Beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote

Beautiful.

Boring.Oh... I forgot you are the man who loves Thomas Newman! tongue

NP:MIlleium (Zimmer, Mancina, Tongeren....Whatever)

Awful, Annoying...Mediocre.

The only thing good is The Lion King and Braveheart main theme on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Beautiful.

Boring.Oh... I forgot you are the man who loves Thomas Newman! tongue

Not the only one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Testament - James Horner

Exquisite early score from Horner. Why has this not been released properly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Testament - James Horner

Do you see????? another proof... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Have you heard it!? There aren't many composers around capable of writing film music this good. Especially ones younger than 75.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

One of THE great scores and easily far and away ( hehe I said Far And Away...geddit geddit....okay okay I'll fetch it in a sec shame ) beyond any superhero score written before or since.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Have you heard it!? There aren't many composers around capable of writing film music this good. Especially ones younger than 75.

it's full of piano,strings and sacharine...I'm sure :P

I can't stand with Horner anymore...Sorry.

NP:Star Trek First Contact (GOldsmith)

The First Contact theme is gorgeous, but there is not enough action and too much track from Joel Goldsmith.

So why Erik thinks is this score so good? a real mysteri...
  2. Actually...

Testament is a largely dark synth score. One of his better ones, but I prefer In Country to that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

The First Contact theme is gorgeous, but there is not enough action and too much track from Joel Goldsmith.

Actually, the real mystery is to try and figure out some of the nonsense you litter this board with.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Bangkok Dangerous (Brian Tyler)

If you ever feel the need to hear an uninspired and totally uninteresting action score, than you can give this one a try. Not often do I feel the need to turn something off, but here I seriously need to resist myself. I'll just hear this to the end so I never have to put it on again... From CutThroat Island to this??? I seriously need a checkup crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Actually, the real mystery is to try and figure out some of the nonsense you litter this board with.

-Erik-

Why you are so cruel with me? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:MIlleium (Zimmer, Mancina, Tongeren....Whatever)

Awful, Annoying...Mediocre.

Couldn´t agree more. Crappy old Zimmer stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Nope. It is nothing like Pearl Harbour at all, in fact.
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

The same reason some of us enjoy reading your posts. You're you, and there's no changing it. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bullitt Lalo Schifrin

cool <-most apt use of that emoticon

^
    ^
    ^
    FACT!!!!! cool

They should play this at clubs!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

The same reason some of us enjoy reading your posts. You're you, and there's no changing it. smile

....and some people are too kind.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited
    NP: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Young)

Simply wonderful. "Second Sight" is singlehandedly one of Young's best cues to date, without a doubt. At times I think it's more sophisticated than his Species or Grudge scores in terms of choral and orchestral layering.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Road to perdition

Gorgeous, from note 1 to end.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bangkok Dangerous (Brian Tyler)

If you ever feel the need to hear an uninspired and totally uninteresting action score, than you can give this one a try. Not often do I feel the need to turn something off, but here I seriously need to resist myself. I'll just hear this to the end so I never have to put it on again... From CutThroat Island to this??? I seriously need a checkup crazy

Ah, there's your problem! Bangkok Dangerous isn't an action score! The quieter moments are what make it good. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bangkok Dangerous (Brian Tyler)

Ah, there's your problem! Bangkok Dangerous isn't an action score! The quieter moments are what make it good. wink

If Brian Tyler learned how to produce an album properly then I'm sure he would be much more appreciated by people. He buries decent music in amongst so much junk, he does himself no favours at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Nope. It is nothing like Pearl Harbour at all, in fact.

Sure, I can't see Horner working with 10 other composers....He is too proud of himself. tongue

NP:Star Trek Nemesis (GOldsmith)

Some of his best use of synth is here, and if you thought Insurecction action music was tired, here Goldsmith was in top form!

The Expanded score is a must have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lesbian Vampire Killers Debbie Wiseman

This is off to a very promising start. Very... well, gothic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

And such expert scoring in the film. I'm in awe of Newman's talent as a film composer, I've always viewed him as one of the very best film composers that ever lived, along with Goldenthal. I'm not sure what other people think of that though.... I know statements like this can be blasphemous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And such expert scoring in the film. I'm in awe of Newman's talent as a film composer, I've always viewed him as one of the very best film composers that ever lived, along with Goldenthal. I'm not sure what other people think of that though.... I know statements like this can be blasphemous.

He's surely one of the greats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not to be blasphemous at all, but I´ve always seen Goldenthal as one of the most overrated composers ever. Ok, Alien 3 had a nice Adagio; Demolition Man was an average score, Interview with the Vampire is really good, his Batman music is good (but honestly, I can´t remember a single theme), his atmospheric works (Heat, Sphere, In Dreams) are as good IN the film as totally forgettable as a listening experience, Frida is one of these absurd Oscars given by the Academy. I won´t even elaborate on S.W.A.T. vomit

Michael Collins, Titus and Final Fantasy are his only true gems.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If only all the RC hacks could write as he did for S.W.A.T wink