• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Hmm, I think his Batman score has a VERY memorable theme. Just as memorable as Elfman's IMO.

A film composer's job is not primarily to make a good listening experience on CD but to enhance the film. And that's what Goldenthal does so very well. His albums are certainly more of a challenge to listen to than your average score (well, depending on your point of view), but overrated he certainly is not! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I think his Batman score has a VERY memorable theme. Just as memorable as Elfman's IMO.

A film composer's job is not primarily to make a good listening experience on CD but to enhance the film. And that's what Goldenthal does so very well.

You are so right; but, at the end of the day, what a score geek like me needs is to enjoy the music outside the film. And if I want to enjoy Goldenthal his repertoire is limited to the three works I´ve mentioned.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Lesbian Vampire Killers Debbie Wiseman

This is off to a very promising start. Very... well, gothic.

After my first listen I highly recommend this. It seems more appropriate that a women should score a film with such a title. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His textures, arrangements and overall musicianship is beyond the average film composer's wildest dreams.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    His textures, arrangements and overall musicianship is beyond the average film composer's wildest dreams.

I agree, in works like Final Fantasy or Titus.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

A film composer's job is not primarily to make a good listening experience on CD but to enhance the film. And that's what Goldenthal does so very well.

You are so right; but, at the end of the day, what a score geek like me needs is to enjoy the music outside the film. And if I want to enjoy Goldenthal his repertoire is limited to the three works I´ve mentioned.

Fair enough I guess. I think every Goldenthal fan knows there's something inherently wrong with them if they enjoy a score like In Dreams. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek First Contact (GOldsmith)

The First Contact theme is gorgeous, but there is not enough action and too much track from Joel Goldsmith.

Actually, the real mystery is to try and figure out some of the nonsense you litter this board with.

-Erik-

Why you are so cruel with me? sad

You called me out so I did the same with you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just find it odd that Jordi seems to find a major fault in just about everything he listens to, especially his favourite scores. There's being subjective and then there's nitpicking... I'd hate to have that kind of attitude towards scores! dizzy

Whatever floats people's boats though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    Lesbian Vampire Killers Debbie Wiseman

This is off to a very promising start. Very... well, gothic.

After my first listen I highly recommend this. It seems more appropriate that a women should score a film with such a title. biggrin

The first great score of the year! Well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Selections from Mission: Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

Solid action writing! Bridge Battle is some of the most intense action writing I've heard. Would have preferred a bit more power from the recording of the percussion... but then it's Dan Wallin we are talking about.

-Erik-

PS - "Hunting For Jules" is probably one of the best cues Giacchino has ever written!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Young)

Simply wonderful. "Second Sight" is singlehandedly one of Young's best cues to date, without a doubt. At times I think it's more sophisticated than his Species or Grudge scores in terms of choral and orchestral layering.

Matt, have you ever listened to Rebirth from Jerry Goldsmith's Poltergeist? very VERY similar to 'Second Sight'. Still, Hellbound is one HELL of a score, brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Selections from Mission: Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

Solid action writing! Bridge Battle is some of the most intense action writing I've heard. Would have preferred a bit more power from the recording of the percussion... but then it's Dan Wallin we are talking about.

-Erik-

PS - "Hunting For Jules" is probably one of the best cues Giacchino has ever written!

punk
  1. Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bangkok Dangerous (Brian Tyler)

If you ever feel the need to hear an uninspired and totally uninteresting action score, than you can give this one a try. Not often do I feel the need to turn something off, but here I seriously need to resist myself. I'll just hear this to the end so I never have to put it on again... From CutThroat Island to this??? I seriously need a checkup crazy

Ah, there's your problem! Bangkok Dangerous isn't an action score! The quieter moments are what make it good. wink

I would just say the quieter moments make the score slightly less dreadful. But it still remains unlistenable to me for the most part.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. christopher wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Saints and Soldiers (J Bateman and Bart Hendrickson)

Soft elegant war score, so far nothing loudly or action wise, but the small moments do remind me of Horner at times (perhaps meant to be)

Wow, who told you about this one? I love the film, but it's one of the least well known American films to come out in the last few years. I'm surprised you were listening to the score.

I listen to everything, I find almost most things, I want to experience it all wink
    The end is definitely not bad on this little score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: FLOOD (Debbie Wiseman)

Not bad, albeit much of the same
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE - Ennio Morricone

A classic, iconic, Morricone Western score and very influential on me as a film music lover at a very young age.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Deep Rising - Jerry Goldsmith

What can I say ?!

BLOODY GREAT !! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FLY - Howard Shore

Wonderful cool
  4. Eric wrote

What can I say ?!

BLOODY GREAT !! punk

yep, even a lesser effort by goldsmith standards is still fucking great, man I love this soundtrack too
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote

What can I say ?!

BLOODY GREAT !! punk

yep, even a lesser effort by goldsmith standards is still fucking great, man I love this soundtrack too

Indeed an under appreciated effort. I made a wonderful 7 minute suite of the score as well. Lots of fun. Love the deep brass writing and great use of synths!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

Classic cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

Classic cool

But I thought you liked good music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Dragon Ball Evolution ( Brian Tyler)

The same I said about almost every other tyler score.

A generic main theme (but not so generic as the eagle eye one) and all the secondary motifs and orchestration tricks he used in every single score since Darkness falls (his masterpiece)

Tyler seems to use the same textures and mood for a terror tale, a racer movie or for aliens and predators....and I'm tired of it.

Am i enjoying it? Im sure I will enjoy it when I need something loud, but then I'm not so sure if I will take Alien VS Predator Requiem instead.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

A generic main theme (but not so generic as the eagle eye one) and all the secondary motifs and orchestration tricks he used in every single score since Darkness falls (his masterpiece)

I'm looking forward to it then!
  5. Went from "Star Trek: Generations" a day ago, to the fantastic Intrada release of "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey". One of David Newman's best scores, yet his lesser efforts are the ones that sell out faster. Go figure.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I've got this on now...and it's a very difficult listen. It has it's moments, but it's really not particularly good...or interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I've got this on now...and it's a very difficult listen. It has it's moments, but it's really not particularly good...or interesting.

I like it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's weird...there's rock and R&B elements mixed with all this Asian sounding fantasy music. An odd mix.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Fast And The Furious - Tokyo Drift - Brian Tyler

Now we're talking. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I like it.

Haven't heard it yet but maybe Tyler wasn't the right choice? Dunno, judging by the looks of the movie, i'd certainly go a bit shamefully bananas over a Jablonsky score for it, perhaps.