• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Road to perdition

Gorgeous, from note 1 to end.

I heard it for the first time last week. I had no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Road to perdition

Gorgeous, from note 1 to end.

I heard it for the first time last week. I had no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised.

I heard it first time within the film and fell in absolute love with it since; it's one of my all-time most enjoyed film scores and one from which i program absolutely zero tracks out. A great listening experience and a very well-crafted film score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House

What a classy jazz score. Just amazing, beautiful theme (rejected Alien Nation, but this theme deserved a better score, indeed), good suspense material, great performances and hearing duduk 10 years BEFORE Gladiator - a gem, largely forgotten, alas.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. NP: Youth without Youth (Osvaldo Golijov)

when i hear this main title, I'm in heaven. And when the love theme appears in 'Love Lost' (both versions), I'm in something greater than heaven. This is music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House

What a classy jazz score. Just amazing, beautiful theme (rejected Alien Nation, but this theme deserved a better score, indeed), good suspense material, great performances and hearing duduk 10 years BEFORE Gladiator - a gem, largely forgotten, alas.

Great choice to play. I love the score and the theme. The album is a little long, but overall, one of his wonderful scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Fast And The Furious - Tokyo Drift - Brian Tyler

Now we're talking. cool

The only thing that interests me in this is the last track- Symphonic Touge.

I think Intrada's Doug Fake said it best-

So I'm playing THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT the other day. For nearly an hour it thumps, grinds. Electronics, wailing guitars, keyboards up the wazoo. Definitely not their kind of stuff. Nor mine either, by the way. Then, finally, the last track comes on.

The thumps are there but they're now coming from trombone. The wails are gone, replaced by chopping basses, cellos. Ideas from earlier stuff in the score, primarily the opening two tracks, show up. It's like a reprise of them both - but without the junk. It's long, too. Maybe it's put together from several pieces in the movie. I don't know. It's not one of the movies on my list to see. (If Paul Walker can give up on the franchise, so can I.)

Okay, anyways, so the last track's playing. First Jeff comes out, drops his jaw. Then George. Yep, they were hooked. Brian Tyler style. No doubt about it. This track's a showstopper! So I spun it again. Same thing. They go back to work, tune the noise out. When the last track comes on, they pop back out!

If you need a yardstick to decide what makes a great action cue - just use this as an example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Youth without Youth (Osvaldo Golijov)

when i hear this main title, I'm in heaven. And when the love theme appears in 'Love Lost' (both versions), I'm in something greater than heaven. This is music.

This is music indeed; a very accurate tag for this one my friend! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Youth without Youth (Osvaldo Golijov)

Indeed! I heard one of the tracks from this in a GTS game and it was simply a must buy after that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Fast And The Furious - Tokyo Drift - Brian Tyler

Now we're talking. cool

The only thing that interests me in this is the last track- Symphonic Touge.

I think Intrada's Doug Fake said it best-

So I'm playing THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT the other day. For nearly an hour it thumps, grinds. Electronics, wailing guitars, keyboards up the wazoo. Definitely not their kind of stuff. Nor mine either, by the way. Then, finally, the last track comes on.

The thumps are there but they're now coming from trombone. The wails are gone, replaced by chopping basses, cellos. Ideas from earlier stuff in the score, primarily the opening two tracks, show up. It's like a reprise of them both - but without the junk. It's long, too. Maybe it's put together from several pieces in the movie. I don't know. It's not one of the movies on my list to see. (If Paul Walker can give up on the franchise, so can I.)

Okay, anyways, so the last track's playing. First Jeff comes out, drops his jaw. Then George. Yep, they were hooked. Brian Tyler style. No doubt about it. This track's a showstopper! So I spun it again. Same thing. They go back to work, tune the noise out. When the last track comes on, they pop back out!

If you need a yardstick to decide what makes a great action cue - just use this as an example.

I personally like everything that Tyler has done with that score, but yeah you can say that what Fake wrote summarizes pretty well, the worryingly growing problem with today's composers, especially the youngsters.

Lots of them are absolutely clueless. The try to cover their asses and keep them from getting fired with added decibels, hellish amounts of reverb, electric guitars from Satan's hall and tons of electronics without actually having the slightest clues on terms like MUSIC, MUSICIANSHIP, COHERENCE, MELODIC AND HARMONIC PROCESSION, THEMATIC AND MOTIFIC MATERIALS, ARRANGEMENTS etc. See Tyler Bates for instance.

Others really KNOW how to write a proper, old-fashioned big and kick-ass action cue but still oddly go the route of burying and killing it with the afore-mentioned electronic junk. See BRIAN TYLER for instance.

Thank God then for youngsters like MICHAEL GIACCHINO.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Saints and Soldiers (J Bateman and Bart Hendrickson)

Soft elegant war score, so far nothing loudly or action wise, but the small moments do remind me of Horner at times (perhaps meant to be)

Wow, who told you about this one? I love the film, but it's one of the least well known American films to come out in the last few years. I'm surprised you were listening to the score.

I listen to everything, I find almost most things, I want to experience it all wink
    The end is definitely not bad on this little score

YEAH RIGHT !!!!!

Everything except Yared's Troy. If you just keep ignoring this bro, I will have to come to your place and force you to listen to it !!! Get your priorities straight Tommy!!! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote

Goldsmith elevated that film enormously with his music. Not a bad film by any means, but he really gives it its soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Selections from Mission: Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

Solid action writing! Bridge Battle is some of the most intense action writing I've heard. Would have preferred a bit more power from the recording of the percussion... but then it's Dan Wallin we are talking about.

-Erik-

PS - "Hunting For Jules" is probably one of the best cues Giacchino has ever written!

My favourite Giacchino. "Hunting for Jules" is indeed wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I think his Batman score has a VERY memorable theme. Just as memorable as Elfman's IMO.

A film composer's job is not primarily to make a good listening experience on CD but to enhance the film. And that's what Goldenthal does so very well.

You are so right; but, at the end of the day, what a score geek like me needs is to enjoy the music outside the film. And if I want to enjoy Goldenthal his repertoire is limited to the three works I´ve mentioned.

Fair enough I guess. I think every Goldenthal fan knows there's something inherently wrong with them if they enjoy a score like In Dreams. wink

In Dreams was the score that made me fall in love with Goldenthal. There's something inherently wrong with anyone who doesn't enjoy it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Deep Rising - Jerry Goldsmith

What can I say ?!

BLOODY GREAT !! punk

yep, even a lesser effort by goldsmith standards is still fucking great, man I love this soundtrack too

Indeed an under appreciated effort. I made a wonderful 7 minute suite of the score as well. Lots of fun. Love the deep brass writing and great use of synths!

-Erik-

Not just an underappreciated score, but a seriously underappreciated film, I think.
  5. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Goldsmith elevated that film enormously with his music. Not a bad film by any means, but he really gives it its soul.

Connery, Ken Russell (yes!) and Edward Fox were great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, I think his Batman score has a VERY memorable theme. Just as memorable as Elfman's IMO.

A film composer's job is not primarily to make a good listening experience on CD but to enhance the film. And that's what Goldenthal does so very well.

You are so right; but, at the end of the day, what a score geek like me needs is to enjoy the music outside the film. And if I want to enjoy Goldenthal his repertoire is limited to the three works I´ve mentioned.

Fair enough I guess. I think every Goldenthal fan knows there's something inherently wrong with them if they enjoy a score like In Dreams. wink

In Dreams was the score that made me fall in love with Goldenthal. There's something inherently wrong with anyone who doesn't enjoy it!

Oh yes... In Dreams is one that makes you sit up and take notice. There's chaos and beauty in this score that only Goldenthal can blend together succesfully. But I think it can also make the listener reach for the vomit-bag if he doesn't set his mind to it. I have no need at all to vomit when listening to Goldenthal. But I sure had a rolleyes moment when I first heard Pet Sematary. That one I just cannot get into.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. I've never heard PET SEMETARY. I can see how IN DREAMS would present problems to a new listener though (it took me a while to get into it). The nocturne for Claire and the 'Premonition Lento' are two of my favourite tracks from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009 edited
    NP: Porco Rosso - Joe Hisaishi

There is no wrong in this score! I love every bit of it. Adventure, romance, comedy, coolness. Great score for a great movie.

(I saw it two months ago for the first time in a decade, and was amazed how great it is! There were a lot I couldn't get when I was a kid.)

Probably Japanese tagline for this film represents the score too... This is what should be called coolness. cool pig
    (it's a bad translation by me... the original phrase is much cooler)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

Lovely score!

One for you're list D cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

Classic cool

But I thought you liked good music?

biggrin

I think Erik missed out on the "touche" there! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

Classic cool

But I thought you liked good music?

biggrin

I think Erik missed out on the "touche" there! wink

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. NP: The Adjuster and other film scores (Mychael Danna)

A Varese compilation of early film scores by Mychael Danna. Some great stuff. My personal favourite is the Steve Reich inspired 'talk show' cue. You can hear the building blocks of his musical voice in these early scores very clearly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: Batma... errrr... Dragonball: Evolution - Danny Elf... errrr... Brian Tyler

slant

Sigh! Why do I do this to myself? There is no way in hell I'm going to get through the rest of this if that theme is littered throughout. I can't... I just can't! Am I being close minded? Maybe. But this isn't the first time that Tyler has done this so I can pretty much see where this one is going.

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Batma... errrr... Dragonball: Evolution - Danny Elf... errrr... Brian Tyler

slant

Sigh! Why do I do this to myself? There is no way in hell I'm going to get through the rest of this if that theme is littered throughout. I can't... I just can't! Am I being close minded? Maybe. But this isn't the first time that Tyler has done this so I can pretty much see where this one is going.

crazy

-Erik-

Danny Elfman? Batman? Whuh? Which track? What?

Regardless, big meh on the music I've just heard.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thank God then for youngsters like MICHAEL GIACCHINO.

/salutes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DEBBIE WISEMAN - the hot lesbo killing film

Impressive orchestral writing and grand sound, i am getting Arsene Lupin goosebumps! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    DEBBIE WISEMAN - the hot lesbo killing film

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - Dragonball: evolution

I like it. Can't understand what people who DID like Brian Tyler anyway find wrong with this. It's a perfectly normal Brian Tyler score. And it's a good Brian Tyler score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Dragonball: evolution

I like it. Can't understand what people who DID like Brian Tyler anyway find wrong with this. It's a perfectly normal Brian Tyler score. And it's a good Brian Tyler score.

Yeah. Not quite sure what Erik is talking about? I'll have to re-listen to it. Still, I enjoyed it. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd not count Erik into the team of "people who Did like Brian Tyler anyway" but i see what you're talking about! smile I enjoy it too; loud!