• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009
    Ah, now I can hear the Batman theme. I think it's more likely a coincidence than a direct rip, it's a pretty standard chord structure used a lot in film music to instill a feeling of awe and mystery (i.e. a 'sci-fi' kind of sound). Not original, but I still like it and I certainly don't find it distracting like Erik does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Dragonball: evolution

I like it. Can't understand what people who DID like Brian Tyler anyway find wrong with this. It's a perfectly normal Brian Tyler score. And it's a good Brian Tyler score.

Yeah. Not quite sure what Erik is talking about? I'll have to re-listen to it. Still, I enjoyed it. :shrug:

I think what Erik was talking about is that the main theme is a pretty blatant reworking of Elfman's Batman theme. I quite like the Tyler album (but the score is completely ruined by the absurd length of the album), but that theme issue is very distracting while I listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Album lengths is something Tyler better consider some time soon smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    By the way, the film looks awful. Just... awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have to agree with that Steven vomit

Btw, does anyone else think the choir is a not real? I haven't seen 'em anywhere in the recording sessions' video and i don't have the credits to verify but still, i think they're sampled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I like it. Can't understand what people who DID like Brian Tyler anyway find wrong with this. It's a perfectly normal Brian Tyler score. And it's a good Brian Tyler score.

Yeah. Not quite sure what Erik is talking about? I'll have to re-listen to it. Still, I enjoyed it. :shrug:

I think what Erik was talking about is that the main theme is a pretty blatant reworking of Elfman's Batman theme. I quite like the Tyler album (but the score is completely ruined by the absurd length of the album), but that theme issue is very distracting while I listen to it.

Thank you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have to agree with that Steven vomit

Btw, does anyone else think the choir is a not real? I haven't seen 'em anywhere in the recording sessions' video and i don't have the credits to verify but still, i think they're sampled.

They could easily have been recorded after the orchestral sessions. And maybe those choral only sessions weren't filmed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know. I am asking if anyone has the credits smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek First Contact (GOldsmith)

The First Contact theme is gorgeous, but there is not enough action and too much track from Joel Goldsmith.

Actually, the real mystery is to try and figure out some of the nonsense you litter this board with.

-Erik-

Why you are so cruel with me? sad

You called me out so I did the same with you.

-Erik-

First Contact Could have been one of the best Star Trek scores, if Joel Goldsmith was not composed more than the half of this score.

I mean, Goldsmith action tracks using Kingon's theme, enterprise theme, Borg's theme are fuc_ing great! the borg's music is very reminiscent to Vejeaur sound and First Contact theme is gorgeous.

Sadly, 32 minuts from Goldsmith makes the score a little bit incomplete sad

But "Temporal wave" or "Red Alert" beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Disagree completely my friend! Joel contributions were spot on and blended perfectly with his father's sound. Unless it was pointed out to you, you would have never been able to figure who composed what. And for your information, one of the best cues from the score, "The Flight of the Phoenix" was composed by Joel Goldsmith.

First Contact is a fantastic score and wonderful collaboration between father and son! IMHO, it's the best Next Generation film score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I´ve enjoyed it too (except the horrendous "Chasing Dragonballs" track). Tyler´s personal style into a more melodic and thematic score, not so over the top as his scores for the likes of Eagle Eye or AVP:R. I´m becoming such a die hard fan of Brian Tyler. Oh, and for once Varese´s description is totally right ("an epic fantasy score by composer Brian Tyler").
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Harry Gregson-Williams & others) (custom soundtrack)

I like this... Why? Why because it's not another senseless droning crapfest he usually writes for action films, this actually has some good action and some very gentle underscoring. I like some of the other Japanese composers' work here too. They blend in very well with Harry's style. During the more intimate moments of the game, the score gets to shine the most. And the song 'Here's to You' from Morricone's 'Sacco e Vanzetti' is the perfect ending track.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I´ve enjoyed it too (except the horrendous "Chasing Dragonballs" track). Tyler´s personal style into a more melodic and thematic score, not so over the top as his scores for the likes of Eagle Eye or AVP:R. I´m becoming such a die hard fan of Brian Tyler. Oh, and for once Varese´s description is totally right ("an epic fantasy score by composer Brian Tyler").

There's not one memorable note in the entire score!

Steven wrote
    Ah, now I can hear the Batman theme. I think it's more likely a coincidence than a direct rip, it's a pretty standard chord structure used a lot in film music to instill a feeling of awe and mystery (i.e. a 'sci-fi' kind of sound). Not original, but I still like it and I certainly don't find it distracting like Erik does.

Dood, with Tyler there is no such thing as coincidence.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Disagree completely my friend! Joel contributions were spot on and blended perfectly with his father's sound. Unless it was pointed out to you, you would have never been able to figure who composed what. And for your information, one of the best cues from the score, "The Flight of the Phoenix" was composed by Joel Goldsmith.

First Contact is a fantastic score and wonderful collaboration between father and son! IMHO, it's the best Next Generation film score.

-Erik-

Word. Word. oh, and did I say WORD!? beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dragonball: Evolution... man, what a waste of hard drive space that score is... so to get rid of that foul stench I now cleanse the air with...

NP: Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban - John Williams

Oh mercy! Thank God! Now this... this ladies and gentlemen is how fantasy and adventure is done!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Batma... errrr... Dragonball: Evolution - Danny Elf... errrr... Brian Tyler

slant

-Erik-

You mean Batman´s main theme? Track and time mark please?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

An absolutely lovely effort from Zimmer and a nice departure from the brainless (although mostly enjoyable) action scores he was churning out around about this time.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Batma... errrr... Dragonball: Evolution - Danny Elf... errrr... Brian Tyler

slant

-Erik-

You mean Batman´s main theme? Track and time mark please?

Dood... the theme is littered throughout the score. It's actually all over the first track. It's not note for note but my God Tyler was bitten by the temp track bug yet again! Am I surprised? Not one bit!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    LSH wrote
    NP: Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

An absolutely lovely effort from Zimmer and a nice departure from the brainless (although mostly enjoyable) action scores he was churning out around about this time.

cool

punk Excellent score! Zimmer excels at this type of music!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Chilled or what!? cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Oh, and for once Varese´s description is totally right ("an epic fantasy score by composer Brian Tyler").

Epics must be getting smaller! To me, Lawrence of Arabia is epic; perhaps more recently Lord of the Rings would fit the bill. Dragonball Evolution aims small and hits the mark, but since it's essentially Tyler composing well within his usual parameters, "epic" seems a rather ambitious description.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, there's 2 strong themes in Dragonball, at least. Give it another spin and maybe you'll see why i disagree with the notion that there's nothing memorable in it smile

As for the varese description, no matter how i like the score, i wholly agree with Southall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, there's 2 strong themes in Dragonball, at least. Give it another spin and maybe you'll see why i disagree with the notion that there's nothing memorable in it smile

As for the varese description, no matter how i like the score, i wholly agree with Southall.

Themes? You found 2 strong themes?! lol Maybe motifs. It doesn't matter if he wrote 15 themes or motifs none of them are memorable! There's no imagination or creativity whatsoever. It's Wall o' noise my friend and these sort of scores are just a waste of time.

-Erik-
  2. Back to the Future Part III (Alan Silvestri)

I love it when Silvestri does westerns... his energy in the action cues and passion for theme development makes this score a worthy entry and improves on the average score for the 2nd film. This must be one of the very first soundtrack albums me and my brother ever got, so it holds a special place in my heart. It's also one of the most beloved film trilogies from my youth, Silvestri captured the magic and fun of the story and characters so well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Back to the Future Part III (Alan Silvestri)

I think it's brilliant! One of the finest sequel score you will ever hear!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Back to the Future Part III (Alan Silvestri)

I love it when Silvestri does westerns... his energy in the action cues and passion for theme development makes this score a worthy entry and improves on the average score for the 2nd film. This must be one of the very first soundtrack albums me and my brother ever got, so it holds a special place in my heart. It's also one of the most beloved film trilogies from my youth, Silvestri captured the magic and fun of the story and characters so well.

My favourite of the trilogy music wise. punk

NP : THE PINK PANTHER - Henry Mancini

love cool

The main theme competes with my former play of Bullit for coolest theme ever written. ( I think Panther just edges it )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Coolest theme ever? Pink Panther easily my friend wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Coolest theme ever? Pink Panther easily my friend wink

With Pink Panther, Peter Gunn and A Shot In The Dark, Mancini is undistuted king of cool themes. cool
  3. Nautilus wrote
    NP:Dragon Ball Evolution ( Brian Tyler)

The same I said about almost every other tyler score.

A generic main theme (but not so generic as the eagle eye one) and all the secondary motifs and orchestration tricks he used in every single score since Darkness falls (his masterpiece)

Tyler seems to use the same textures and mood for a terror tale, a racer movie or for aliens and predators....and I'm tired of it.

Am i enjoying it? Im sure I will enjoy it when I need something loud, but then I'm not so sure if I will take Alien VS Predator Requiem instead.

haven't heard it yet, but the fact you're saying it is like all his other efforts is making it sound less interesting to find it out sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. NP: Les Miserables (Basil Poledouris)

Now I know why I still love Poledouris shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh