• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Les Miserables (Basil Poledouris)

Now I know why I still love Poledouris shame

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Starter For 10 - Blake Neely

From his website. I watched the film tonight on TV and quite liked the music. There's only 20 minutes or so available but it's a rather nice little non-orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Varujan Kojian and the Utah Symphony Orchestra

Classic! 'nuff said really. I really enjoy this truncated version of the score. Tight performance and wonderful sound!

-Erik
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Varujan Kojian and the Utah Symphony Orchestra

Classic! 'nuff said really. I really enjoy this truncated version of the score. Tight performance and wonderful sound!

-Erik

Quality classic playing cool beer

...like this one too....

NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

cool

Ooooooh... I'm adding the 16 minute suite to my NOW PLAYING playlist. Rock on, Timmer

punk

-Erik-
  1. NP: Quest For Fire - Philippe Sarde

I'm surprised how quickly this arrived via Amazon.fr!

First off, Tim and Erik can relax - I'm not going to come a'lookin' for you both.

But I'm finding it nowhere near the level of something like One Million Years BC.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Coolest theme ever? Pink Panther easily my friend wink

With Pink Panther, Peter Gunn and A Shot In The Dark, Mancini is undistuted king of cool themes. cool

Peter Gunn wins for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Quest For Fire - Philippe Sarde

I'm surprised how quickly this arrived via Amazon.fr!

First off, Tim and Erik can relax - I'm not going to come a'lookin' for you both.

But I'm finding it nowhere near the level of something like One Million Years BC.

I find Amazon.fr to be very good service.

As for One Million Years B.C., let's be honest, can you think of a more primal score? As I said elsewhere though, 'Quest' belongs in that catagory of scores ( also including Bartlett's Walking With Dinos/Beasts ) that have an "authentic" feel of pre-history.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    As I said elsewhere though, 'Quest' belongs in that catagory of scores ( also including Bartlett's Walking With Dinos/Beasts ) that have an "authentic" feel of pre-history.

I remembered that you had mentioned something about Quest For Fire - but none of the specifics.

Listening to it now I can't say that it's the most enjoyable listen I've had but I can see how it fits the movie (from the movie photos anyway - I've not seen the movie). With this first listen I'm particularly drawn to the love theme rather than the others.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Batma... errrr... Dragonball: Evolution - Danny Elf... errrr... Brian Tyler

slant

-Erik-

You mean Batman´s main theme? Track and time mark please?

Dood... the theme is littered throughout the score. It's actually all over the first track. It's not note for note but my God Tyler was bitten by the temp track bug yet again! Am I surprised? Not one bit!

-Erik-

shocked
    Honestly, I can´t hear it.

Christodoulideswrote
    Erik, there's 2 strong themes in Dragonball, at least

...and a couple of motifs (I specially like Piccolo´s one ). And they may not be memorable, but they are very addictive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Took out Bill & Ted 2 and switched over the the fantiastic La La Land Records release of "Batman: The Animated Seires", and popped in CD 2 and straight to the episode score "Joker's Favor".

I miss Shirley Walker. sad
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulideswrote

...and a couple of motifs (I specially like Piccolo´s one ). And they may not be memorable, but they are very addictive.

suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulideswrote

suicide

-Erik-

Don´t do it yet! Do it after you´ve listened Race to Witch Mountain

Just Played Race to Witch Mountain (Trevor Rabin)
    hmmm...I was expecting something in the vein of Flyboys, but this is an alternate version of National Treasure. I like Trevor Rabin, but I´m afraid I´ll need a buckett this time....ohh, ohhh, here it comes vomit vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Race to Witch Mountain - Trevor Rabin

I downloaded this because I thought it might be like his National Treasure scores (both of which I like). It's completely awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's RABIN what did you expect? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. And Rabin has been hired for "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". An assignment, I feel, would have been PRIME Marc Shaiman territiory.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

I downloaded this because I thought it might be like his National Treasure scores (both of which I like). It's completely awful.

Do you like his National Treasure scores? shocked
    And what surprises me even more: you don´t like "Race to Witch Mountain", which is an extended version of NT? shocked shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

And what surprises me even more: you don´t like "Race to Witch Mountain", which is an extended version of NT? shocked shocked

Found it more synthy, more cheap-sounding, no particularly good tunes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Found it more synthy, more cheap-sounding, no particularly good tunes.

Yes at least National Treasure 1 and 2 had a theme or two. The three are forgettable and mediocre though.
    I expected something closer to Flyboys, which I think is among Rabin´s best, and an underrated score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As I said elsewhere though, 'Quest' belongs in that catagory of scores ( also including Bartlett's Walking With Dinos/Beasts ) that have an "authentic" feel of pre-history.

I remembered that you had mentioned something about Quest For Fire - but none of the specifics.

Listening to it now I can't say that it's the most enjoyable listen I've had but I can see how it fits the movie (from the movie photos anyway - I've not seen the movie). With this first listen I'm particularly drawn to the love theme rather than the others.

The film is very good. Light years beyond similar efforts. The Clan of The Cave Bear was released a few years later and it's awful, it also contains Alan Silvestri's insipid synth score....a mis-fire all round.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK BEAUTY - Danny Elfman

My kind of Elfman cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Until September - John Barry

Soothing! What a lovely score featuring some gorgeous, lyrical melodies. Sax, harmonica and flute all come into play. Breathtaking!

-Erik-
  5. John Williams Conducts Music from the Star Wars Trilogy (John Williams & Boston Pops)

This is one of my most cherished compilations (released in 1997) featuring all the brilliant themes from Star Wars trilogy (the old one of course) but also Superman, E.T. and Close Encounters. Performances are ultra-crisp and exciting, not a whole lot different from the original recordings, but with subtle changes. Absolute highlights are 'The Asteroid Field', 'Yoda's Theme', 'Luke and Leia', 'The Forest Battle', 'Superman March', 'Superman Love Theme', 'E.T. Adventures on Earth' and a specially recorded suite from 'CE3K'. All of these sound top notch. The absolute best of the best from John Williams glory years.

punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    And Rabin has been hired for "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". An assignment, I feel, would have been PRIME Marc Shaiman territiory.

Blame Bruckheimer for his fear of woodwinds. It's his fault for thinking that woodwinds demasculates a film score.

I'm surprised Rabin was brought on Race to Witch Mountain, since Bruckheimer is nowhere to be found in the producing credits. (Which makes it even more peculiar since Bruckheimer produced Confessions of a Shopaholic and JNH scored that.)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Until September - John Barry

Soothing! What a lovely score featuring some gorgeous, lyrical melodies. Sax, harmonica and flute all come into play. Breathtaking!

-Erik-

It seems to be a rarely mentioned romantic score of Barry's, maybe even underrated with most people always citing Somewhere In Time which is a lovely score but lacking the diversity of Until September, the track One More Time is one of the most dreamily erotic cues I've ever heard in a film score.

p.s. there's also great use of electric and accoustic guitar in the score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Wind And The Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm definitely in a Goldsmith mood tonight... and that can only be a good thing.

cool cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Matt C wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    And Rabin has been hired for "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". An assignment, I feel, would have been PRIME Marc Shaiman territiory.

Blame Bruckheimer for his fear of woodwinds. It's his fault for thinking that woodwinds demasculates a film score.

(Which makes it even more peculiar since Bruckheimer produced Confessions of a Shopaholic and JNH scored that.)

But PJ Hogan directed it and he has a long working relationship with JNH, who's very much an in demand composer with lots of experience working in the romantic comedy genre. Win-Win for Jerry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIVE - James Newton Howard

Lovely score but too short. This score could really do with an expanded treatment, many good cues left out from the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Dragonball blah blah - Brian Tyler.

I can hear some Batman-ish rising string melody thing. Not a big deal really, since at least that's all he's ripping off from Danny Elfman. (Thank goodness too cause goddammit if I had to listen to another variation on Elfman's Spidey music...)

But what's so striking about this score is how bored I am listening to it. There aren't any outstanding cue that would win you over or anything new that would give you hope about liking the score more. Sure, there are some thundering percussion/racing strings/brass work and middling ethnicity typical of previous Brian Tyler efforts, but it's soo warmed over and stale now to the point of being a generic score that i would expect John Debney to really excel at. Look at the track "Vengeance". The name suggests so much possibilities... and yet there's less than 2 minutes of anything that would excite the emotions. I really want to like this score, but it's not doing it for me. A banal, unexciting, journeyman work.

I really hope that his score for Fast & Furious won't be this boring.
  6. Southall wrote

sad to hear this, I wasn't really estatic, but at least intruiged considering I like Rabin's music confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh